One large can diced tomatoes
small chopped onion
handful frozen southern style hashbrowns
chicken broth (or any kind of broth) - enough to cover the above ingredients
several dashes of worchestershire sauce
salt
pepper
italian seasoning

Turn crockpot on low and let cook for at least 4 hours (up to 24 hours). About 30 minutes to an hour before serving melt a stick of butter or margarine in there.

Sorry just realized you said no recipes.

Kairho
11-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Since it's a recipe, I started a crockpot thread.

deangreenhoe
11-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Sorry just realized you said no recipes.

Just call it "a method." He won't know the difference. :D

Well boxed foods can be your best friend right now, Kairho. Here's a few easy things I used to do when I actually worked 60+ hours a week in an office.

...for a taste of the south, get yourself one of those Zatarain's red beans and rice boxes, prepare as directed but also toss in some smoked sausage while you cook it.

...with your boxed escalloped potato dishes, toss a couple of pork cutlets on top and bake them with the potatoes. It adds a bit of extra flavor and only one dish to clean up.

...if you are allowed to use a knife and want to do something a little more homemade, slice potatoes and onions, place them on one side of a glass baking dish, empty a can of yellow wax (or green) beans onto the other side (including the juice, do not drain), toss some pork chops on top of that and bake about 45 minutes at 350.

...you can make a pot roast. Believe me, anyone can the easy way. Just toss the beef roast into the baking dish, add your baby carrots, onions, potatoes (don't even have to peel if you get the baby reds or small whites), maybe some mushrooms and a can of beef broth. Cover and roast at 325-350 for 2-3 hours. If you are gravy imparied, use one of those brown gravy packets. I think the end result tastes far better than jarred. Just add water and cook for one minute while stirring.

...make the rotisseree chickens from the supermarket deli your friend. They really are usually pretty good and don't cost any more than buying an uncooked roasting hen. Serve with a side of rice (the fast cook seasoned packets aren't all that bad - or say hello to your Uncle Ben) and a boil in the bag pouch of veggies of your choice. Voila! Sunday dinner in 20 minutes.

If you need other easy ideas, go to the Campbell's soup website. They have several thousand things you can do with creamed soups (especially mushroom) in one pot, I am sure.

I did a kitchen test of various Swedish meatball recipes this summer for a couple of family events. The one I liked best was nothing more than cream of mushroom soup, beef broth and sour cream with seasonings to taste (I used some Worchestire, Kitchen bouquet for better color and lots of black pepper.) You can buy the meatballs pre made and frozen. Boil up some egg noodles to serve under the meatballs.

Oh, I also buy the frozen chicken cordon bleau and those aren't bad either. My supermarket carries frozen chicken breasts stuffed with asparagus spears and that's actually the best - the asparagus comes out incredibly crispy, not mushy, which shocked me when I first tried it. Those you just bake for 35 minutes on a cookie sheet and serve. You could have that with a side of "instant" rice and a veggie.

If all else fails, there's always Stouffer's lasagne. ;-) Unless you are going to a real Italian restaurant, 9 times out of 10 that's what they serve from commercial packaging. Actually, if you have a Gordon's Food Service outlet nearby, you'll find an incredible variety of pre-prepared heat and serve entrees that are similar to what is sold as a "homemade" entree in your average neighborhood cafe.

deangreenhoe
11-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Since it's a recipe, I started a crockpot thread.

Obviously while I was typing because it commandeered my post as well.

wrp96
11-23-2007, 11:53 AM
...you can make a pot roast. Believe me, anyone can the easy way. Just toss the beef roast into the baking dish, add your baby carrots, onions, potatoes (don't even have to peel if you get the baby reds or small whites), maybe some mushrooms and a can of beef broth. Cover and roast at 325-350 for 2-3 hours. If you are gravy imparied, use one of those brown gravy packets. I think the end result tastes far better than jarred. Just add water and cook for one minute while stirring.

You can do this in your crockpot as well. We always coat the roast in salt, pepper, and garlic powder before putting it into the pan (if you do a pork roast just do salt and garlic powder). Just cook it on low overnight (for Sunday lunch) or low all day for an evening meal. After you've taken all the vegetables and the roast out of the pan, wisk a packet of brown gravy mix into the liquid left in the crock pot and you've got gravy.

Annette
11-23-2007, 12:27 PM
I've found some good crockpot recipes on allrecipes (generally my primary source of recipes). I just did a search for more last week in fact, with the cold weather approaching.

One of my favourites is for Honey Ribs (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Ribs/Detail.aspx). I've taken to just generally following the recipe and dumping in either whatever appeals at the time or whatever I have on hand.

susanliber
11-23-2007, 03:19 PM
One of my favorite crockpot meals is pork chops and saukraut.

Alternate a jar of saurkraut, cut up apple and pork chops or cutlets. I cook for about 4 hours on high, then 4 hours on low. The pork comes our very tender.

I serve it with boiled potatoes. If I am really pressed for time I buy canned potatoes and put them on top of the food in the crock pot for the last hour to heat them up.

NW CTC
11-23-2007, 04:16 PM
One of my favorite crockpot meals is pork chops and saukraut.

Alternate a jar of saurkraut, cut up apple and pork chops or cutlets. I cook for about 4 hours on high, then 4 hours on low. The pork comes our very tender.

I serve it with boiled potatoes. If I am really pressed for time I buy canned potatoes and put them on top of the food in the crock pot for the last hour to heat them up.

This sounds delicious, Susan - and great for a wintry day. It's the first thing I'm going to fix once the (admittedly yummy) Thanksgiving leftovers are out of the 'fridge!

How many apples do you use? Does any particular variety seem best?

Julie

susanliber
11-23-2007, 09:22 PM
What ever is around. I just use one or two layered with the saurkraut to cut the the sour a bit. And a bit of pepper - nothing else.

NW CTC
11-24-2007, 02:43 PM
What ever is around. I just use one or two layered with the saurkraut to cut the the sour a bit. And a bit of pepper - nothing else.

Thanks, Susan. I'm looking forward to trying this.