PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday

Kairho
11-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Ok, who was up early and in line at 4 AM? Time to 'fess up and spill the beans ... what bargains did you score today?

AaronK
11-23-2007, 07:10 AM
I just woke up, with no intention of going anywhere today, except maybe the supermarket.

deangreenhoe
11-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Ok, who was up early and in line at 4 AM? Time to 'fess up and spill the beans ... what bargains did you score today?

I read an email I got overnight from Amazon.com at 6:30am. Does that count?

My niece and her boyfriend showed up at around 5:00am yesterday (for a sale that started at 6:00am) to score some deals on Ipods and PSPs (plus something else that had a name I didn't recognize) and ended up with squat. The lines were just ridiculous she said, and that was the the day before Black Friday.

The electronics stores in my area (Circuit City, Best Buy, etc; ) were opening at 4:00am today. Last night the news report showed a crowd of people camping in a line all around the building. Some had been there since 4:00am yesterday morning to get a good spot in line for today. We had a couple of inches of snow early Thursday morning and last night it got down to 13 degrees at my house.

Sorry, I don't need anything that badly and even if I did, there's no discount level that would get me to endure that mess to get it. I have some shopping to do this weekend but I'm waiting until Sunday.

stephen_s
11-23-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm going the easy/lazy way: Gift Certificates (from giftcertificates.com) or cash. You won't catch me anywhere near a store until January :).

jimtbay
11-23-2007, 07:26 AM
A contingent left at 4am and are not back yet. I am sure they will have some horror stories.

Lynn
11-23-2007, 07:28 AM
There is no way I would be in that crowd for anything, I can't think of anything that money can buy that is that important to me. I do have to head to the mall today tho, I work at the jewelry store at 4 today. The crowds will be down but I still won't find a parking place! I really hate the silliness that this time of year has become.

wrp96
11-23-2007, 08:47 AM
No way was I going shopping today considering I had to be at work at 8am. I got frustrated enough on the way to work having to deal with the small towners who didn't know how to drive in the "big" city. You'd think they'd never seen a stoplight or a multilane road before.

TRichmond
11-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I got up early 4:00am to go stand in line to get a Wii this morning. They had only 18 come in. I was number 7. Never thought I would ever to this for a Christmas present, but it is amazing the sacrifices you make for your kids.:)

CruiseExpert
11-23-2007, 10:56 AM
I got up early 4:00am to go stand in line to get a Wii this morning. They had only 18 come in. I was number 7. Never thought I would ever to this for a Christmas present, but it is amazing the sacrifices you make for your kids.:)
You are a hero! The Wii is on my list as well.

Loonbeam
11-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Walmart.com has got us steamed. In the arena of smart marketing, they have an offer. We'll sell you a Wii, IF you buy a bunch of wii related stuff with it. Ok, fine. Their website said available, so we bit the bullet, ordered over $700 of stuff (all at retail - the console, 5 games, controllers, etc). We get an order confirmation.

30 minutes later, we get an email saying the CONSOLE is backordered with no expected ship date, but they'll be happy to send us the REST OF THE STUFF WHICH WE CAN'T USE WITHOUT THE CONSOLE!

There's no one to call until Monday. That's going to be a fun conversation!

AaronK
11-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I would just cancel the order with Walmart.com......

Loonbeam
11-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Can't do that, because the other items are in 'processing'.. Can only cancel the console...

I would just cancel the order with Walmart.com......

AaronK
11-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Well then, thats what returns are for. Just return it all, unopened.

RGoltsch
11-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Here's a hint on finding a Wii that worked for me and my neighbor this past summer. Costco.com. They seem to randomly have a small package including the Wii console, a game and an extra controller for around $325-$350.

If you are thinking of getting a game system for the kids, find a Wii. My wife gave me an Xbox 360 last Christmas so I can play my Halo. It is great and the graphics are wonderful. But it simply cannot compete with the simple imagination that Wii's developers have. Amazing. The graphics are not as realistic as an XBox or PlayStition, but who cares? Mario looks just fine.

And make sure you try the bowling and tennis games. Simple fun for hours. My twelve year old and her friends play it for hours.

Ron.....a 40 year old game aficionado

jimtbay
11-23-2007, 01:41 PM
A contingent left at 4am and are not back yet. I am sure they will have some horror stories.

Can I quote myself? Seems weird.

They came back at 9am and an hour ago left to go back to the same stores!! Crazy.

TRichmond
11-23-2007, 01:45 PM
It is hard to find Wii's as Nintendo only shipped 3.5 million for the holiday season. Next shipments are not until after the first of the year. I had been searching for the last month online and tried every website you can think of. Every time I thought I had it confirmed, I got the message of back ordered once it was placed.

Kmart ran a big ad Wed. saying they would have them in stock at their stores. Each store got two and the employees handed out vouchers to their friends.

Try smaller game stores in your area you may have luck. I got mine today at Gamestop, but not all the stores received the same quantity. I drove out of my way to get to the store I went to as I knew they were getting in 18. Some stores only got 5.

I never thought this would be the hot toy again this year. Hard part is now I still have to wait a month before I can play with it, (I mean show them how it works). :rolleyes:

tdew
11-23-2007, 07:45 PM
We got the Wii long after last Christmas. It was a promised gift, but one that it was understood would come whenever it became available.
One day I was in Target as they were unwrapping them. The rule was one to a customer. They would not hold one for anyone. If you were there when they had them, you could buy one.

It's been very popular here - with all ages.

However, we were very surprised on Thanksgiving when the visiting girls (ages 9, 10 and 14) wanted to try out the player piano, rather than the wii - and they had never heard of any of the songs we have on rolls ....

travelwhiz
11-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Went to my local Walmart at 7 pm....it is a baby Walmart not a super center....bought one of the 25.00 vacuum cleaner for my son's apartment and a set of sheets that were on sale...they had all of the early morning specials except for the portable DVD players.

John225
11-24-2007, 08:10 AM
I managed to snag a GPS unit for my sister for $120 on BestBuy.com instead of waiting in line to get a ticket for a chance to get one. Scott and I didn't go out until about noon to the outlet mall, and it was actually kinda quiet. We were shopping for ourselves, so it wasn't a tragedy if we didn't get what we wanted, but got everything we set out for. We waited so late because the outlet mall opened at midnight, and by noon, we figured most of the diehard shoppers would be gone. There was also a major LSU football game at 1:00 (that the idiots lost by being over confident) so lots of people were home watching that. We were in and out in 2 hours.

Kairho
11-24-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm waiting to hear if Jim's family ever came home again.

mtp51
11-24-2007, 11:16 AM
I went to Super Target and K Mart yesterday afternoon. I didn't have to wait in line and also got a decent parking space. Weird....

deangreenhoe
11-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Me too. Obviously they've been kidnapped by K-Mart.

mtp51
11-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Me too. Obviously they've been kidnapped by K-Mart.

Jim!! Where is your family???? Did they get stuck in Wii - dom?

Loonbeam
11-25-2007, 02:14 PM
An update on the Wii scenario (and vindication of you catch more flies with Honey scenario...)

I called today to see what was up with my Wii order, as an email indicated some of the games had shipped. Spoke to a very nice girl who, after I explained the situation thought it was indeed odd, but could not do anything about it as their system simply didn't have the ability to do anything but view an order, or cancel pending shipments.

Per my usual practice, since she was very polite and tried to be as helpful as possible, I asked for a supervisor (and told her why) to compliment her. The supervisor was literally stunned at someone passing on a compliment, and he asked the specifics of the call. I went over it briefly and he said, 'Really?' can you hold on a minute?

Came back in about 5 minutes. Apparently he was a fairly senior supervisor and went to his boss and filled them in. That person called the shipping department and had our order bumped up on the fill list. In addition, they put a note in the system not to ship any related items if console was not available without customer approval. He did say that sometimes shipping missed the hold, but still...

From what I understand the system got so much volume that they sold faster than inventory could decrement...

We checked on line, and the system is showing we have a Wii on the Way. AND if you place a test order, it now says "In the event of unavailability of the Wii console, all other items in your order may be held until the console is available. If you would like items to ship when available, please call..."

jimtbay
11-26-2007, 06:35 PM

They just arrived!!

Gesualdo
11-27-2007, 01:52 PM
No way am I stepping foot into any retail establishment on black Friday. We went to the dog park instead. Even now, days later, when I need to go to Lowe's, I'm really hesitant.

jimtbay
11-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I went to Lowe's here, it was pretty dead. Went to the nearby outlet mall, also dead. Scoped out a few things, I swear a manequin looked like Aunt Louise....I think she is hiding in stores at night....

cole75
11-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I went to Lowe's here, it was pretty dead. Went to the nearby outlet mall, also dead. Scoped out a few things, I swear a manequin looked like Aunt Louise....I think she is hiding in stores at night....

Ever seen the old movie "Manequin" with Kim Catrall from Sex in the City.. this sounds like her (your Aunt Louise) only coming to life after store closes.... :p

trvlgirl
11-27-2007, 02:07 PM
We have a hugh outlet mall here that opened at midnight. You would have thought it was noon on the Saturday before Christmas. It took us awhile to find a parking space.
It was a lot of fun. I don't think I have ever stayed up all night shopping.:D

jimtbay
11-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Ever seen the old movie "Manequin" with Kim Catrall from Sex in the City.. this sounds like her (your Aunt Louise) only coming to life after store closes.... :p

Yes, yes, but good ole auntie is no Kim Catrall!!!!

tdew
11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
There's another old movie that was a favorite of mine when it played on "million dollar movie" one week during the Summer when I was a kid.

It was called "One Touch of Venus" and starred Ava Gardner and I don't know who else . The song "Speak Low" came from that movie.
I must have watched it a zillion times that week, as the movie would be a continuous showing.

CruiseExpert
12-04-2007, 09:52 AM
I got the Wii! Color me lucky.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/RobertAuclair1/ChristmasTree.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/RobertAuclair1/ChristmasStar.jpg