PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving: If not a family destination, where?

Ned
11-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Most of us either host Thanksgiving in our homes, or go to a family or friend's home to celebrate. On the other hand many take off for a holiday or to double a family get together for the Thankgiving holiday, with a vacation.

In an article at MSNBC, Sherman's Travel list their Top 10 Thankgiving destinations (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21825076/):

Aruba
Brussels
Kauai
Los Cabos
New York
Phoenix & Scottsdale
Plymouth
Transatlantic Cruise
Vail
ViequesWere my wife and I not hosting Thanksgiving in our home, and were choosing from the above list, or not, I think we'd head down to Aruba, one of our favorite place to visit, especially when it's cold weather at home.

If you're going on a Thanksgiving holiday vacation tell us where you're going, and if you're staying at home, of visiting family or friends in their home, tell us where you would go if you made your Thanksgiving holiday into a vacation.

deangreenhoe
11-18-2007, 09:01 PM
I've only spent one Thanksgiving away from home (about 4 years ago) and flew to Palm Springs to spend a few days at the J.W. Marriott Resort and Spa in Palm Desert. Personally I had a lovely time and returned relaxed and refreshed.

Afterward I was made to feel like a heretic and caught hell for ages from my family. I'd be afraid to attempt it again lest I be crushed by the guilt trips. :rolleyes:

AaronK
11-19-2007, 05:29 AM
I've never really traveled on Thanksgiving. Though it sounds like a nice idea, I can see my family lynching me.

Back when I was in school, I had the opportunity to be a balloon handler in the Macy's parade. Unfortunately, this would mean not being home in Providence for Thanksgiving day dinner. My mother was all gung ho for me to do the parade, but I decided to go home instead and watch my friends on TV. I'm glad I did, as my mother passed one month later. It was the last time I saw my mother conscious.

weblet
11-19-2007, 06:01 AM
We are departing from our usual routine (home). My mother is taking off for Florida today to spend Thanksgiving with friends she hasn't seen in a few years. We are driving to NYC on Wednesday to be with friends (:eek: 5 families in one house!). It should be a hoot.

Anyone want to meet in Manhattan Saturday? We'll be wandering around showing the exchange student the sights and then be at the Boston U/Cornell U ice hockey game at Madison Square Garden 8pm. Go Big Red!!

jfrenaye
11-19-2007, 06:19 AM
I am a homebody/drivebody for Thanksgiving.

One year (gosh it was like 9 years ago I guess), I found a mistake on airfare to London (179.00 RT including taxes) and I quick called my aunt and asked if she was doing the Thanksgiving thing and she hemmed and hawed, so I ended up going to London and Paris with the kids and my wife (at the time). I figured the fare would not last, and when would I ever be able to take a family of 5 to Europe for under $1000.

However, the Intercontinental Hotel's idea of a "traditional American Thanksgiving" is vastly different than mine. Turkey loaf---Bleccch!

tdew
11-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Anyone want to meet in Manhattan Saturday?

I'd love to - but can't. We'll still have company in town...

Kairho
11-19-2007, 06:57 AM
We are home for the first time in 18 years. The last 18 we always travelled to visit family in NJ but that's over with now. So we will go out to a semi-local restaurant. Before 18 years ago we always travelled, usually to someplace in New England such as Sturbridge or that cute town in NH.

Lynn
11-19-2007, 07:40 AM
We are now homebodies for Thanksgiving. For over a decade I spent it in NYC with a group bustour. We left here T-Giving morning and came home Sunday afternoon, our turkey was served in a Hudson Suite atop the World Trade Center.

stephen_s
11-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I'll be going to New York (Long Island) to visit my family. I've done this since I moved to California (except for one year when I was working for AT&T).

wrp96
11-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Well, usually we are at some family member's house if not ours. But in the past several years we've stopped forcing someone to cook and frequently go out for Thanksgiving. This year we're doing a riverboat cruise on the Arkansas River for Thanksgiving. Last year we drove up to Branson, Missouri for the weekend (Shogun Japanese steakhouse makes a lovely thanksgiving dinner:p).

We have traveled for Christmas though a few times and it's fun. I think whether or not you travel or stay home, the best part is to remember family and friends and what you have to be thankful for. If you do that, location doesn't matter (although laying on a nice, warm beach somewhere instead of cleaning up after a huge meal doesn't sound like a hardship!).

jimtbay
11-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Home with family, friends, skiing and food. All in moderate doses...I hope!

jjjenny
11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
My husband used to be in the military so for years I cooked Thanksgiving meals. The past few years we have driven to Granbury, TX to be with my parents. This year will be a little different. My dad had knee replacement surgery back in October and hasn't healed as was expected. He is in a nursing home, hopefully he will eventually recover.
I am ordering a meal from a grocery store and taking it with me to my mother's house.

Ned
11-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Having had numerous orthopedic surgeries myself, I know how tough it can be recovering and rehabbing from one. I wish your dad well, and hope from here on, his recovery is swift and as pain free as possible. Hopefully you all can bring some of that Thanksgiving meal to the nursing home, and eat it with your dad, raising his spirits. I firmly believe that the condition of one's inner-self, has much to do with one's physical recovery. A person who is happy, who can see them self recovered, and who looks forward to their life after healing, will be restored to good health more quickly and completely.

My husband used to be in the military so for years I cooked Thanksgiving meals. The past few years we have driven to Granbury, TX to be with my parents. This year will be a little different. My dad had knee replacement surgery back in October and hasn't healed as was expected. He is in a nursing home, hopefully he will eventually recover.
I am ordering a meal from a grocery store and taking it with me to my mother's house.

jjjenny
11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Thanks Ned. We do plan on eating the meal wth him.

But sometime after Thanksgiving I plan on cooking a turkey the way you do it.

mtp51
11-19-2007, 05:38 PM
We will drive 15 minutes to my daughter's house but if we weren't doing that, I'd go to N O. :)