PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming trip

susanliber
11-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Well we have finally booked our trip - we drove our travel agent nuts this time because we went from 2 weeks in Aruba to a cruise, to Grand Cayman, to St Croix. We finally settled on Dominican Republic.

She got us a terrific deal. Flights, transfers, 2 weeks all inclusive in Hotel Riu Palace Macao and bad hair day insurance, in January - all for under $5000.

Now a question for all the travel agents....I plan on taking her to lunch tomorrow and I don't have time to bake - I am a work now. Should I get her flowers? I don't think she would accept a cash tip from me. We are friends.

So what do you think??

deangreenhoe
11-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Now a question for all the travel agents....I plan on taking her to lunch tomorrow and I don't have time to bake - I am a work now. Should I get her flowers? I don't think she would accept a cash tip from me. We are friends.

So what do you think??

I think you are very sweet and your appreciation including lunch is more than enough, well more than is ever expected. :)

But flowers always make everyone in the office ooh and ahh, not to mention jealous that they don't have you as a client. I know it always impressed me when someone received flowers in the office...

...especially since my clients usually handed me a bottle of Jack Daniels or something similar. Evidently I looked and acted like I needed it. :lol:

jfrenaye
11-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Susan--that's so nice of you. Yes she will likely NOT accept case. Flowers die. What about a gift card to a local dinner place (Chili's Applebee's, etc)or in our neck of the woods the local theatre sells gift booklets. They cost like $30, are undated, include two vouchers for movies and $20 in concession vouchers. So you almost get the movie for free.

Maybe a gas card?

susanliber
11-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Gas card is a good idea!! It is up and over $3 a gallon here. And she has a pretty long commute.

Movie passes are also a good idea. She has a teen aged daughter so they would both like it. Now I just have to get out soon enough to do it before I meet her tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions....I just felt like we were using her time and not knowing what we wanted because my husband could not decide what he wanted to do.

deangreenhoe
11-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Maybe a gas card?

Now, do you really want your TA to go around telling everyone that you gave her gas? :rolleyes:

jfrenaye
11-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Well from Susan's explanation, it might be the most appropriate. They don;t sell Agida Cards (Correct me on the spelling Ned...)

Ned
11-06-2007, 06:37 PM
The spelling is spot on John.

Susan, the lunch is a great idea, and so are the flowers. Periodically I gave my secretary flowers, when I had one, and she always loved them. I give my wife flowers weekly during the winter. She's loves them and it always brightens the house.

Just the fact that your showing your appreciation is the important thing.

When we get back from the Galapagos, we're taking our TA and his wife (They are close friends after all these years and we go out together often, but 50/50, of course.) to their favorite restaurant for dinner to thank him for doing such a great job with our recent vacation to Europe, the Galapagos later this month, a couple of upcoming business trips for me, and a vacation early next year.

Everyone appreciates some saying thank you in a special way.

Well from Susan's explanation, it might be the most appropriate. They don;t sell Agida Cards (Correct me on the spelling Ned...)

wrp96
11-06-2007, 06:54 PM
We're planning on bringing our TA something back from Maui since it is her favorite place. She's been absolutely fabulous working our vacation out for us.

deangreenhoe
11-06-2007, 07:02 PM
We're planning on bringing our TA something back from Maui since it is her favorite place. She's been absolutely fabulous working our vacation out for us.

That's always a nice option as well, very meaningful to someone in the travel business.

One of my favorite gifts received from a client was a lava egg from Hawaii. It's a very unique and interesting piece - sits on my desk right now.

I also have a piece of local art work (an original painting) from another client who purchased it in the Caribbean, brought it home and had it framed then gave it to me. That has hung on the wall in my office since the day I got it. I really do treasure things like that. :)

mtp51
11-06-2007, 07:50 PM
i just signed a contract today - i'm back in the business - in addition to my regular business. i like flowers. ;)

BYOFT
11-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Personally, I just love flowers. They always make me feel so special.

wrp96
11-07-2007, 09:10 AM
That's always a nice option as well, very meaningful to someone in the travel business.

Since I happen to know she loves Maui I figured it would be more personal than flowers or something else. We've talked a lot in the midst of trying to get all the issues with this vacation worked out (I have a LOT more respect for you travel agents after having to deal with my family!!:p ) so I know what some of her favorite things and places are.

If I wasn't as familiar with her, I'd probably settle for something like flowers, which can really cheer you up on a gray, cold, wet winter day.

susanliber
11-07-2007, 09:26 AM
I was going to pick up flowers but I happened to see a Pier 1 gift card - so I got that for her. I know she loves Pier 1.

It is cold and very windy here today - so a vacation in the sun sounds really good right now.

deangreenhoe
11-07-2007, 09:50 AM
I was going to pick up flowers but I happened to see a Pier 1 gift card - so I got that for her. I know she loves Pier 1.

It is cold and very windy here today - so a vacation in the sun sounds really good right now.

I think that's an excellent option. :)

(Secret, incognito Pier 1 shopper here. Heh, heh.)

Lynn
11-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Love Pier 1, they provide a tone of the ancillary things for my window displays!

I too love flowers but one of my girls is extremely allergic and can quickly develop a migraine from them. One of my best clients brought me a hand carved jade koi, he found it in Hong Kong. That means the world to me!

Another brought me a card that he would not allow me to open until I got home that night.....inside were 10 $100 bills. I nearly fainted.

travelwhiz
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I know that any time a client thanks me it makes my day, but to get such a nice thank you is wonderful. It great that you and your agent work so well together.
Just hearing great client /agent stories makes me smile.

Last week I received a call from a very good friend letting me know that her husband had passed away very unexpectedly and I have been very down,because this man was a long time friend that I also happened to book travel for....we were just agent and client when we first met , but when you deal with someone every week for 15 years you become very close. We knew each others families and when we were in a city near each other we would visit over dinner.

I hope that you enjoy your two weeks on the beach.

Caribbean Queen
11-07-2007, 02:32 PM
I have a client that frequented Japan. He was changing plans frequently and would laughingly tell me thanks for putting up with him. On his last and final trip there he sent me a package with a hand painted scroll and tea set. I have them displayed in my home. He still does business travel, just not to Japan anymore. Thank you's are few and far between.

silver cloud
11-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I just sent mine some fall colored roses. Then I found out she was at a conference. Last minute franting calling to FTD and they'll be there Tues. :)

Kairho
11-08-2007, 02:21 PM
You could also get her a nice travel certificate. There are some on nice sale today.

DCTravelAgent
11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I LOVE getting flowers from clients!!!! First off, everyone in the office asks who their from, so you get to crow a little. Second, lots of clients ask, so you sew seed of more flowers to come!

NW CTC
11-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I just sent mine some fall colored roses. Then I found out she was at a conference. Last minute franting calling to FTD and they'll be there Tues. :)

Nice save. And what a lovely surprise for her when she returns to the office. I know they'll be enjoyed.

Last month I received a simple postcard from a client then vacationing on Kauai, telling me what a great time she was having and how delighted she was with her vacation. Since it was a very last minute trip (and thus not a lot to choose from as far as accommodations) and a new client, I was really pleased to know how well it was working out for her.

That postcard's still sitting on my computer and it makes me feel good everytime I see it. Sometimes even the simplest acknowledgement of our efforts goes a surprisingly long ways!

weblet
11-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Haha. "Fall colored roses" brought back a memory (yes, kind of a strange connection, but...). I have a corporate client that is a consultant. Years ago now he put me thru H*LL with a project his firm won a bid on. (I don't think he expected it to be quite so bad :rolleyes: .) Anyway, it was a 4 month ordeal and about 3 into it he must have realized that I was about to lose my mind. He ordered a HUGE flower display (big enough we had to put it on the conference table) and sent it to the office. The thing is, I don't think he saw it before it arrived - it came in and everyone thought someone had died. It was all dark gold/brown colors - in May! I mean, it was beautiful, but more suitable for a funeral parlor!! It was quite the talk for awhile! And he's still with me! :lol:

susanliber
11-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Mary Ann was quite pleased with her lunch at Moe's - a Mexican place (so the gas may have been given too!). And very surprised at her gift card to Pier 1 - but very pleased.

I really felt I had worked her this time - we had her looking in about 5 different directions over the course of the month. Then my husband couldn't make up his mind..(he tells me I am indecisive!) Normally we know what we want. This time we didn't. And I was doing research and she was doing research before we came up with Dominican Republic. She said it was no problem but it has to drive you nuts when a client doesn't know where they want to go.

wpbagent
11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Susan, I am sitting here with a big smile on my face.
Thank you..:) :)

silver cloud
12-11-2007, 10:20 AM
I've learned it only takes a couple bucks to buy something for someone but the travel agents I've had have never forgotten it. I think that when someone works that hard, they should get a little extra. My two cents anyway.

susanliber
12-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I went up to the office yesterday to pick up my docs...and brought a plate of cookies...everyone in the office appreciated it.

I always go out to her office - it takes almost an hour to get there for me. But Mary Ann always offers to bring the docs to me...her mother lives in Amsterdam - right near the main office of my work.

I told her next year I will work her again....when I have to start the process for a cruise for my ladies in 2010. I have to reinstate my LPN license first. And get permission to get all the ladies passports. That only will take will some time.

silver cloud
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Susan, How nice of you to bring cookies!

By the way, I'm loving my mittens!!! They are warm!
Mary

wrp96
12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I went up to the office yesterday to pick up my docs...and brought a plate of cookies...everyone in the office appreciated it.

Ooh good idea. I'll have to do that in a couple weeks when I go to pick up my docs. I had really been racking my brain for something to do for her as her mother passed away right after Thanksgiving. I was going to send her a card in sympathy but the day after I found out she left to go on a transatlantic cruise. I gave orders to a few of my friends who also happen to be on the cruise, that if they happen to run into her to buy her a drink on my behalf. Hopefully they will run across her sometime before the cruise ends.

Loonbeam
12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Whenever someone does a nice job for me of some import, I always send a gift, even if I can't hand deliver it.

One of my favorite places is www.sweetsinbloom.com. Very different, and people love chocolate :)