PDA

View Full Version : Southern Calfornia on Fire...Again

bodega
10-22-2007, 12:07 AM
To those of you in Southern CA, I hope you are not near any of the fires. All of CA is having off shore winds, but you are getting them much stronger that we have had up here in Northern CA. We just got word from a family member in the San Diego area that they are on alert for the night. They live southwest of the Wild Animal Park and it has been a nasty day for them.

stephen_s
10-22-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm lucky that I'm not near the fire, but I can smell it from my house and also see the smoke.

babs275
10-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Hmmm - just LOVE the smell of smoke.

Well it's that time of year again and the State of California is a tinderbox. If any of you are getting detailed news reports - the "Buckweed" fire in Canyon Country is about 5 miles from me. My best friend called last night and was gathering pictures and legal docs in case of evacuation.

This is our "Hurricane Season"

Hope the winds die down soon.

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
10-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Babs,

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Being an ex-Calif myself I'm keeping an eye on all of the fire related news ... all my family has now moved out of CA but my husband's family is still very much there, and most of them live in high risk areas. :eek:

binny
10-22-2007, 09:10 AM
prayers on the way, it is scary for sure. I watched the news today :( That is a lot of devastation.

bodega
10-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Just got a call and my sister who lives just south of Escondido on the border of Rancho Bernardo had to evacuate at 4am this morning. They are at the beach...where else can they go?????

bodega
10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
My sister had to evacuate at 4am from the Rancho Bernardo area in SD county. We had done this drill before in 1964 and it stays with you all your life!! I was told yesterday that the air was extremely bad, even in La Jolla and ash was everywhere. Right now my family is sleeping in their car in La Jolla waiting to see where they will spend tonight. They are pretty sure their house will be fine, but until they get back, they won't know.

According to reports, the SD Wild Animal Park was spared from the fire. Parts of Escondido did get evacuated. Poway High School was the evacuation center until late last night when that had to be evacuated. My sister said with all the hills and canyons, traffic is a nightmare.

The news stations here in Northern CA are only covering Malibu.

Please stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

weblet
10-22-2007, 10:02 AM
The news stations here in Northern CA are only covering Malibu.
Here, too. But the focus seems to be "What's going to happen to the 25 rehab centers?" there.

Well, one can only hope they burn down and then Paris and Lindsay will get into REAL rehab...

babs275
10-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Of course - thats the "sexy" neighborhood where the big money is. But we have actually lost many more structures - family homes - here.

I did see coverage on the Today Show this morning. Course now all I have is local news with the "breaking news" banner.

Lynn
10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
That has to be a horribly helpless feeling to watch as fire apporaches your home. My heart breaks for all involved.

bodega
10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Last night I was online trying to get information on the SD fires. There is a website especially for SD emergencies, but it had been done all day and I just checked and it is still down. So much for technology^_^

AT 7am my sister said the fire had jumped the freeway and Rancho Santa Fe had orders to evacuate. I looked on line and found nothing until just a minute ago. Getting news updates on line is slow, but still faster than waiting for anything on TV coverage in our area.

We had quite a bit of rain last week and so for northern CA, the only area under alert is south of San Jose towards Monterey. From there to Mexico is all under red flag alert.

bravestar
10-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Man, I can't imagine what it's like out there right now. I hope everyone stays safe and no one dies from the fires!

Reason # 32151532136521 why I don't live in California.

greenearth
10-22-2007, 11:08 AM
my close friend who lives there has a horse that she evacuated yesterday to another location. The new location is now under evacauation and she is unable to get to her horse(they won't let her in) She is totally broken up about this. She is actually a volunteer for Red Cross and is at the shelter now helping people.

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
10-22-2007, 11:15 AM
I hope everyone stays safe and no one dies from the fires!
unfortunately there's already been one death (San Diego) and several injuries.

wrp96
10-22-2007, 11:43 AM
My brother and SIL are not near any of the current fires as far as I can tell, but I don't want to call them and jam up the phone lines just to make sure. Hopefully they will take the time to respond to the emails I sent them.

babs275
10-22-2007, 12:30 PM
The fire in Agua Dulce/Canyon Country is now at 25,000 acres (since yesterday at 1pm). Just heard on the news that the evacuation line is now closer to me - but I think far enough away for me to still be ok. Been hearing the water droppers overhead quite a bit though.

Arnold has declared us a disaster area.

Oh and I forgot - the usual area that burns in Castaic has also been on fire.

It's gonna be an interesting day!

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
10-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Babs,

This brings back not-so-lovely memories of my 22 years working with SoCalif Edison ... fire storms were the absolute wors
t!!!

babs275
10-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Susan - now Lake Arrowhead is on fire and they have lost at least 20 homes they are reporting - started next to the power plant!

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
10-22-2007, 12:43 PM
My SCE contacts keep emailing me updates ... I'm worried about my inlaws ... two fires in Lake Arrowhead actually, a small one in Beaumont (out already I think), the dang things keep cropping up everywhere ... and the arsenists will start popping up out of the woodwork with these high winds ... not to mention the high winds are causing havoc on the highways with jack knifed big rigs.

I really don't miss living there.

babs275
10-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Yeah - this kind of thing really brings the nut cases out!

bodega
10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I just tried to verify how many fires are actually burning in So CA but it wasn't to be found on line. According to MSNBC there were 6 in the LA area and 6 in the SD area.

Last report was that the winds in the Rancho Bernardo area changed and now my sister's home is in the path of one of the fires. It is good for everyone to thing about a disaster hitting your home and what you would do in case of an immediate evacuation. What would you need, where should you have it for a fast grab out the door? Then if you were given more time to evacuate, what else would you take? I have been in that siutation twice and believe me, having a plan in mind, will save you time and some angst.

My sister had things packed and ready to put in the car in case they had to leave, so when the call came in at 4am, they were prepared. Some hotels are offereing $50 a night rates and you are allowed your pets in your room, so they are fine for tonight and will wait to see how things go for tomorrow. I am so frustrated with the lack of TV news on SD, but I did find a wesite for NBC San Diego that is a live broadcast, so I have it minimized on my computer so I can hear them talk while I try and get some work done.

NW CTC
10-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I can't imagine how awful this must be for all those involved. I wish we could send some of our rain down to all of you in So. Cal. I am sending prayers and good thoughts.

Bodega's advice to think in advance about evacuation is very sound; living in a urban-yet-forested area I've spent time planning for such a necessity. Doing so has sparked some useful discussions in our household. I hope we never need to put our plans into action but feel much better knowing what's important to both of us and how to preserve it.

Babs, Bodega & Greenearth, good luck to your families & friends.

bodega
10-22-2007, 05:26 PM
The lastest on the San Diego area is that it is just awful. Del Mar Heights and Solano Beach have been evacuated. Sadly, there are also several fires across the border in Mexico, too. Those evacuated are not receiving any news on their homes, so my sister doesn't have word on hers. Very tense and stressful.

Since this morning, MANY new fires have erupted and the winds are to continue into tomorrow. My heart goes out to everyone from Santa Barbara to Mid Baja.

TRichmond
10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Please keep this updated. I am in Orlando right now, but live in OC and we are not getting much info here. I guess our house lost power for the last few days and the fires are burning in OC. My thoughts and prayers to anyone with family there. Not sure what I am going to come home to on Saturday.

babs275
10-22-2007, 05:36 PM
The huge Canyon Country Fire has either changed directions or died down a bit as some of our evacuations have been lifted - BUT a new fire has started on the south side of the valley I live in. So we have 3 of the major fires right here rimming the Santa Clarita Valley!

Yes - it seems that every 15-30 minutes or so they are announcing a new fire somewhere.

Not a good day in California

But we do have some of the most awesome firefighters! They have done a fantastic job of protecting life and property!

babs275
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Tim - PM me your location in the OC and I will check it out

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
10-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Irvine Ranch ain't doing too well right now ... the toll roads down there appear to be closed.

Lake Arrowhead ... two separate fires ... apparently hundreds of houses may be lost, but the smoke is so bad they can't get close enough to confirm (let alone to fight the fires)

San Diego just sucks.

babs275
10-22-2007, 05:41 PM
knbc.com

Crews Protect Homes From Arson Fire In Foothill Ranch

Arson Fire Threatens Homes In Orange County

POSTED: 7:02 am PDT October 22, 2007
UPDATED: 3:36 pm PDT October 22, 2007

IRVINE, Calif. -- A brush fire in the hills near Santiago Canyon and the 241 toll road that threatened homes as it blazed across 4,000 acres was deliberately set, authorities said Monday.
Interactive Map: SoCal Fires (http://fire.lacounty.gov/default.asp)
Story: San Diego County Fires (http://www.knbc.com/news/14389059/detail.html)
Story: Malibu Fires (http://www.knbc.com/news/14390468/detail.html)
LIVE VIDEO: Wildfires (http://www.knbc.com/videostream/11441536/detail.html)
Viewer Images Part 1 (http://www.knbc.com/slideshow/news/14388398/detail.html) | Part 2 (http://www.knbc.com/slideshow/news/14389500/detail.html) | Part 3 (http://www.knbc.com/slideshow/news/14392571/detail.html) | Part 4 (http://www.knbc.com/slideshow/news/14392686/detail.html) | Part 5 (http://www.knbc.com/slideshow/news/14396873/detail.html)
Submit Your Photo (http://www.knbc.com/news/14392645/detail.html)
In the Foothill Ranch and Portola Hills neighborhoods, there are about 500 homes in the general southeast direction that the 8,800-acre Santiago fire is heading, said Tasha Schilling of the Orange County Fire Authority. Officials said homeowners in Foothill Ranch should be packed and ready to evacuate.
"I'm packed and ready to go," a homeowner told KNBC. "Everybody's very alarmed. We don't want to see our homes burn down."
Fire crews were taking up positions to protect homes. At one Foothill Ranch home, crews brought equipment onto a backyard patio to protect the residence from approaching flames.
"I'm sad to report this is an arson fire," said Orange County Fire Authority Chief Chip Prather. "There were three separate starts: two on one side of the road and one on the other, and obviously we are actively investigating that."
Prather appealed to anyone with information about this case or any suspected arson activity to call the arson tip line at (800) 540-8282.
Whipped by gusting Santa Ana winds, the flames burned through Hicks Canyon and headed toward the Northwood and Portola Springs residential areas, said Orange County Fire Department Capt. Stephen Miller.
The fire broke out just before 6 p.m. Sunday, he said. The blaze was 5 percent contained early Monday, but no homes had burned and no injuries had been reported, he said.
The fire burned through some outbuildings at the El Modeno Gardens nursery, 11911 Jeffrey Road, and was at Jeffrey Road and Portola Parkway in Irvine, where fire crews planned to make a stand, Miller said.
Voluntary evacuation orders were issued for residents on Amberhill in Irvine and for residents in North Tustin, Lemon Heights and Cowan Heights. A shelter was set up at the Lakeview Senior Center at and Barranca Parkway and Lake Road in Irvine, he said.
Irvine police Lt. Rick Handfield said residents should tune their radios to 1640 AM to get up-to-date information on evacuations.
Residents who were not immediately impacted by the blaze were advised to stay at home with windows and doors closed because of smoke. They were also advised to prepare to evacuate, if needed.
Santa Ana winds of 35-45 mph were blowing when the fire erupted.
The 241 was shut down between the Laguna (133) Freeway and the Riverside (91) Freeway, according to Caltrans.
Portola Parkway was closed between Sand Canyon Avenue and the 241, and Jamboree was closed between Chapman Avenue and Portola Parkway, fire officials said.
Santiago Canyon Road was closed between Chapman Avenue and Modjeska Canyon Road. Portola Parkway was also closed between the 241 and the 261, according to Fullerton police.
Wildfires and high winds were blamed for power outages affecting 333,500 Southern California Edison customers in Los Angeles, Orange and other counties since Saturday, the utility reported Monday. In Orange County, electrical service was disrupted in Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Orange, Fullerton, Yorba Linda and Villa Park, according to SCE officials.
With much of Southern California under a Red Flag warning, meaning an increased risk of wildfires because of dry and windy conditions -- and wind gusts up to 90 mph forecast for today -- brush fires were also burning in San Diego, Riverside and Los Angeles counties, threatening structures and prompting evacuations.
One person died in one of two wildfires burning in the San Diego area, and in Malibu, a church and several homes and businesses were destroyed by another brush fire. More than 10 structures, including some homes, were destroyed by a 10,000-acre fire in Canyon Country.
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency in the seven- county Southern California region because of the fires.
Monday: State Of Emergency Declared In 7 SoCal Counties (http://www.knbc.com/news/14390468/detail.html)

babs275
10-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I just clicked on the "interactive map" in my previous post - if you see all the clustered flame icons between the 14 and the 5 Freeways - that's where I live!

Needless to say haven't gotten too much work done today!

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
10-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Here's a link to the NOAA smoke map

http://map.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewer-commons-1.0/images/pixel.gif
http://map.ngdc.noaa.gov/website/firedetects/viewer.htm

deangreenhoe
10-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Holy cow, Babs. You live right in the neighborhood of my SoCal cousins who live in Saugus and Newhall!

Keep your eye to the sky. This must be making you a nervous wreck. My thoughts are with everyone out there.

majestictravel
10-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Tim - I'm in Yorba Linda - North OC seems to be ok so far... Not sure what area you are from. But the skies here aren't so bad, the wind is blowing away from us. I'm hoping it stays that way. the ocregister.com has updates on the fires in Orange County. Hopefully that helps you out a bit!

Brooke

babs275
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Holy cow, Babs. You live right in the neighborhood of my SoCal cousins who live in Saugus and Newhall!

Yep - they're neighbors! Your Newhall relations should be fine - but Saugus is the neighborhood that was undergoing the most evacs today. They've been lifted now and I don't think we lost any more homes today.

You'll have to let me know if you come out for a visit!

deangreenhoe
10-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Yep - they're neighbors! Your Newhall relations should be fine - but Saugus is the neighborhood that was undergoing the most evacs today. They've been lifted now and I don't think we lost any more homes today.

You'll have to let me know if you come out for a visit!

Thanks for the update.

I don't usually visit my cousins when I'm in L.A. I'd rather visit you if I'm in the neighborhood. :D

bodega
10-22-2007, 08:27 PM
That was funny Dean. We needed the laugh!!

Ok, this is driving me nuts. After 9/11, the major US cities got money to get prepared for disasters, right? Yet they are requesting help at Qualcom for cots, tents, air mattresses, etc for the evacuees. Wasn't this something that cities were suppose to have on hand for disasters?

When Katrina hit NO, it took days for the various governments, city, state and federal, to get it together. According to a report I just heard on CNN, by tomorrow around 12n, there will be a hugh group of firefighters with equipment in So CA and SD to help fight these 20 plus fires. According to my sister's email at 950p last night, the area was grossing under staffed to fight the fires that were burning at that time. Why the delay? I just do not get it.

It is a waiting game for now for my family. One report was that the house was gone. Another report was that the neighbor was spared. Right now no flames show on the map for their area, so they just do not know what to expect. At least they got a hotel room as every room in SD is booked.

bodega
10-22-2007, 08:35 PM
If you are interested, this is live in SD.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/videostream/11724377/detail.html

sherri
10-22-2007, 09:00 PM
That must be very stressful wondering if you will have a home the next day. I didn't realize it was so bad as the news I saw just showed Ryan Oneal and Brittney Spears.

babs275
10-22-2007, 09:17 PM
You're on Dean!

A friend of mines daughter just moved into a new apartment in SD - they were evacuated at 5am and she thinks the apartment may be on fire. She's young of course - so I am certain they knew nothing about renters insurance.

I know what it's been like being near the fire lines today - thank goodness I wasn't one of the ones evacuated.

John225
10-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Barb, as I write this, I know it's only 4:45 out there, but what's the update? You still okay?

babs275
10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
6:21 am -
The big "Buckweed Fire" is still burning but not a big news item so must be more in the brush area west of the town versus threatening homes. Lost 15 homes to that one.

The new fire that started yesterday - now named "The Magic Fire" (as in Magic Mountain) is pretty slow moving for some reason. Homes spared in amazing fashion - they really owe the designers of their landscape maintainence district for the greenbelt that kept the flames away.

Then we have the "Ranch Fire" that has always been west of the main town - last I heard was threatening the town of Piru west of here.

They are predicting that these fires will merge into one at some point.

Then we had another one start last night at 10:30 pm back on the east side of town - "The Solodad Fire" - waiting for news on that one.

They just announced a 5th one starting this morning "The Meadow Ridge Fire"!

The really sad news is that 500 homes were lost yesterday in San Diego - I hope bodega's family and the young couple I spoke about were spared - but we probably won't know for a bit until they are allowed back into the area.

Hope today is better!

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Fortunately no reports of more loss of life ... but the sheer destruction of these fires is sickening.

mercwyn
10-23-2007, 10:22 AM
A co-worker of mine lives in San Diego and as of last night her daughter's boyfriend had lost his house, my co-worker had been evacuated and told not to bring anything with her (she took her dogs) other then the clothes on her back. She has fled north to Long Beach with her daughter, her daughter's boyfriend and her husband will be joining them there shortly as he has been out of the country on business. She said that when the sheriff deputy arrived the ash was falling thick and fast but that she couldn't see any flames nearby. By the time she backed her car out of the driveway she said she could see flames within half a mile of her house. As of this morning she doesn't know if she still has a house or not.

bodega
10-23-2007, 10:24 AM
There has been no report on my sister's house. I just found that cbs8.com has streets and house numbers posted and my sister's street isn't listed, but it shows on a map to be included in the fire. The map shows the starting point of the Witch fire and where it is in Rancho Santa Fe. That is a lot of miles that this fire has covered. Rancho Santa Fe is a beautiful area, but full of eucalyptus trees and that isn't good. This fire could reach the ocean.

Babs, are you under any alerts?

This morning there is dark smoke in our morning sky. There is something burning north of here, but I haven't checked it out yet. We had some good rains last week and CDF closed fire season here. Many firepeople have left for So CA.

deangreenhoe
10-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Fortunately no reports of more loss of life ... but the sheer destruction of these fires is sickening.

It is extremely sickening, and saddening. The entire nation is watching since nearly everyone has a friend or family member living in that heavily populated area that has always been a magnet for newcomers from all over the country. The man that was killed near SAN trying to save his 15 year old son is originally from Midland, Michigan, so it's become somewhat of a local story here as well.

The loss of homes is horrible and unfortunately the blackened mountainsides are going to be a sad reminder for a long time.

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
10-23-2007, 10:36 AM
And after this, any amount of rain will lead to massive landslides. :(

babs275
10-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Then this winter you will unfortunately hear about the landslides and flooding in these burned out areas. We always get a double whammy when this happens.

wrp96
10-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Just a note that if you are scheduled to fly in or out of Southern California in the next few days, most carriers are allowing you to change your flight schedules if necessary. Flights themselves don't actually seem to be affected.

Ned
10-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Our kids who live in LA are about to have a number of house guests due to the fire.

jjjenny
10-23-2007, 02:28 PM
These fires are so horrible, and all the people that are affected by this is terrible.
I don't know if my husband's company will be sending out helicopters to help, they usually do.
It's bad that where these fires destroy everything and when it rains later on it could cause land slides!
I really feel for everyone there. It must be horrible to lose everything so quickly!

mtp51
10-23-2007, 04:05 PM
I am in a hurry so will make this brief. The VP of our company lost his house to the SAN county fires yesterday - we are very sad.....

1. My husband and I are scheduled to fly to SAN on Sat. with another couple. We are staying at my company's house on Mission Beach. We are using miles on AA and the other couple purchased their tickets on Air Tran. If we decide to cancel, will we lose our miles if we can't rebook by Nov. 1? What about the Air Tran tickets? I didn't see any reference to the SO CA situation on their site. Yes - I know I can call the respective airlines but I am interested in opinions.

2. We had planned to spend time on Mission & Pacific beach, La Jolla, maybe do Sea World and the zoo. For those living in the area, would you recommend delaying this visit - will it just be too crazy?

Praying for those in the midst,

John225
10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Marge, AA doesn't let you re-bank your miles? I know that Delta does. There is a fee involved, but at least you don't totally lost them.

wrp96
10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
2. We had planned to spend time on Mission & Pacific beach, La Jolla, maybe do Sea World and the zoo. For those living in the area, would you recommend delaying this visit - will it just be too crazy?

Those areas are not affected by the fires except for smoke and ash. From the news reports I'm reading they are expecting (hoping) that things may start to die down in the San Diego area by this weekend and be much improved. Whether or not to delay the visit though is up to you.

mtp51
10-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Marge, AA doesn't let you re-bank your miles? I know that Delta does. There is a fee involved, but at least you don't totally lost them.

You're probably right, John. I'm just not going to call them unless we make the decision not to go.

bodega
10-23-2007, 06:33 PM
That is a tough one to call. The air on Sunday at La Jolla was terribile. But yesterday, as my sister was sleeping in her car in the morning at the park in La Jolla where the sky was blue and there was no ash. They moved to a hotel by the afternoon and Mission Valley, where their hotel is located and near Qualcomm was fine. Then later, the air got smokey, but they didn't have ash. My son talked with his former college roommates at Pacific Beach and Mission Beach and they said the air was fine and no ash.

With the winds you never know what will get caught up and blown your way. The report here is that the winds are to lessen by tomorrow or Thursday. In our area, we are to see a change in the weather by Thursday. BTW, the airline might not have a fee due to the situation. Under these type of circumstances, the airlines can be nice!

bodega
10-23-2007, 06:36 PM
I forgot the good news. My sister and brother-in-law were allowed to go into their area, briefly, to check on their home, which I am happy to say is still standing and intact!! Looting was another concern, as some men were arrested in another neighborhood for this, but so far, so good for them!!

Caribbean Queen
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Bodega... That is great news. My brother lives in the area and he has a fire to the north and a fire to the south. So far doing good.

Babs... How are you faring today?

mtp51
10-24-2007, 05:40 PM
I think we have decided to go to SAN on Sat. There. Now I'd better pack.