PDA

View Full Version : Dispatches From The Edge, Anderson Cooper

deangreenhoe
10-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Subtitled "A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival."

I'm not really sure how I feel about Anderson Cooper's first novel, even a couple of days after the read. The first person stories he relays about witnessing the horrors of this planet, war, famine and disaster can be rather compelling. However there's a disturbing undercurrent by which the author doesn't even try to disguise the fact he revels in it. Combine that with his sometimes pathological disconnect with what's going around him and the personal anguish expressed throughout about his own family history and it really gets damned depressing.

One gets the impression that Anderson is living on the edge of a mental breakdown himself. It can be very revealing, if not somewhat pretentious at times. His style of expressing his feelings about certain issues in abbreviated, staccato, rapid fire declarative sentences can be rather off putting at times.

I enjoy his reporting and personality on CNN (Anderson Cooper 360) but the tone of the book feels terribly self indulgent to the point where one may feel distracted by the act of creation (style?) of the novel at the expense of the timely content.