PDA

View Full Version : Outsourcing Hell......

GREGGWELPE
09-28-2007, 10:51 AM
.......tell your tales from the dark side of customer service experiences that have been outsourced. My latest experience involves a wireless phone provider that we just upgraded our family plan and asked for a simple credit towards the overrages from this month's statement. The agent at the time of the upgrade could or would not apply the requested credit. So I emailed the customer care department on Monday, got a reply wanting me to upgrade my family plan! Huh? So round and round I go until I blow! After 5 days of back and forth emails I finally pick up the phone to speak to a live person to assist with my request. Again, they want to upgrade the family plan and again I had to repeat myself, NO!!! Finally, after a 30 minutes, I get my credit applied!!! Now I understand why people just give up, they weren't just playing dumb on the email replies, it's just that my request wasn't on their script!!! :rolleyes:

bodega
09-28-2007, 11:19 AM
it's just that my request wasn't on their script!!! :rolleyes:

I just encountered this when I placed an order for checks. The order taker had a script he had to follow. I told him to stop, that I didn't want to hear anything else, that I just wanted to place my order. He couldn't do that. I requested that he stop and get his supervisor as I didn't want to hear any more. It was do damn annoying.

Ned
09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I think we've all run into this over and over again. These people either can't think or have been directed not to think. I don't know which is worse.

it's just that my request wasn't on their script!!! :rolleyes:

I just encountered this when I placed an order for checks. The order taker had a script he had to follow. I told him to stop, that I didn't want to hear anything else, that I just wanted to place my order. He couldn't do that. I requested that he stop and get his supervisor as I didn't want to hear any more. It was do damn annoying.

Gesualdo
09-28-2007, 02:35 PM
They are not allowed to think under supervisory order. The ones that actually can think don't stay in these jobs because of the silly rules and scripts that make no sense.

The last time I reformatted my hard drive, I couldn't seem to get rid of the MSN Messenger software. So I called Dell Hell for help. So I get some kid in Mumbai, whose name is "Brandon" by the way, and I explain my problem to him which is basically that as soon as I reconnected to the internet, I started getting pop-ups that said something like "your system must be upgraded or die!" Instead of telling me how to make MSN Messenger go away (which I'd done before and have no idea why it didn't work this time), he told me it was a real message and I had to install this software the message told me I needed. (Sounds like he might be the one who was sending these messages so maybe he just needs to spend some time in jail for spamming.) I hung up on him and called back. This time I got some guy from Georgia (the state. No, really...). He was more helpful, although he didn't have the answer I needed. In the meantime, I think I had posted my problem to another forum somewhere and I got the right response, so I let go of Dell.

Ned
09-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Big G., if you think Dell is bad, try Toshiba or HP, they make Dell look like the Gold Standard.

stephen_s
09-29-2007, 12:50 AM
I had a run-in with HP's outsourcing. I may have told this story before.

I have a printer with a built-in networking adapter (for both wired and wireless). I can check the status of the printer and the ink level by typing in the IP address.

One day, I did that and saw, as the status, Need Maintenance (or something like that). I did the usual steps, swabbed the contacts on the cartridges, and used the software to do a thorough cleaning. No go. I still had the message.

I contacted HP via chat and also telephone. I can tell by the way they "talked" that I was talking to India. What they told me I already tried.

In desperation, I wrote to HP headquarters and told them how disappointed I was with their technical support. That did the trick because I got a response from corporate that told me what I had to do to resolve it.

Ned
09-29-2007, 07:28 AM
But, of course, why should you have had to go that route? The method was clearly in their stable of solutions, so regular tech support should have been able to help you through it. That's a typical HP support story that I've run into.

HP is my number one printer brand by far. Probably 95% or our printers are HP. No one makes better laser printers or moderate to low priced All-In-Ones or inkjets. The other 5% are the upper level Epson Photo Inkjets. Epson's Photo Injets for professional photographers, for example, are impossible to beat.

As good as HP printers are, that's how bad their tech support for them is. They just don't put nearly enough "financial support" into their tech support, in my opinion.

I had a run-in with HP's outsourcing. I may have told this story before.

I have a printer with a built-in networking adapter (for both wired and wireless). I can check the status of the printer and the ink level by typing in the IP address.

One day, I did that and saw, as the status, Need Maintenance (or something like that). I did the usual steps, swabbed the contacts on the cartridges, and used the software to do a thorough cleaning. No go. I still had the message.

I contacted HP via chat and also telephone. I can tell by the way they "talked" that I was talking to India. What they told me I already tried.

In desperation, I wrote to HP headquarters and told them how disappointed I was with their technical support. That did the trick because I got a response from corporate that told me what I had to do to resolve it.

stephen_s
09-29-2007, 10:55 AM
But, of course, why should you have had to go that route? The method was clearly in their stable of solutions, so regular tech support should have been able to help you through it.

Obviously this was a Tier 2 problem because they sure didn't give it to their Tier 1.

Turns out I had to clean the contacts where you plug in the cartridge also instead of just the ink cartridge contacts.

bodega
09-29-2007, 11:26 AM
**As good as HP printers are, that's how bad their tech support for them is. They just don't put nearly enough "financial support" into their tech support, in my opinion**

Living next door to 2 HP/Agilent engineers, I can't tell you how frustrated they are with the products that are coming out of Indonesia. One neigbor spends a lot of his time giving Indonesia tech support. It's sad!

Gesualdo
09-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Big G., if you think Dell is bad, try Toshiba or HP, they make Dell look like the Gold Standard.

I KNOW Dell is bad, but they all are. I'll probably stick with Dell because they still make the best product out there for the best price. I had a Compaq before I bought my first Dell. Actually I had 2 Compaqs (Compaq is now owned by HP). I had to return the first one because it had so many technical problems. I kept the second one because although it had similar problems, they weren't as debilitating. After I bought my first Dell, I realized just how awful that Compaq really was. I have few complaints about the performance of my Dells. But about once a year, I have to reformat my hard drive, so I always end up calling tech support for help. And they usually do pretty well. The experience I wrote about here really was a first for me. But I hear the horror stories others tell, not to mention getting sued by New York state.

One thing I have discovered about tech support is if there are other options besides e-mail tech support, use those. Don't do e-mail tech support because they use bots to determine what they thing you are asking. They'll send you answers that make no sense. And when you write back, they send you something else that makes no sense. And when you write again, they send you the first response again. Because humans are clearly not reading these e-mails, machines are just guessing at them.

wrp96
09-29-2007, 09:29 PM
Well, for all my frustrations with tech support over the years, I can tell you that I have had very good tech support from AT&T Internet in the last few months. In fact, I talked to somebody who lives less than a few miles from me when my modem died last month. They have started switching all their tech support back to the US. In fact they just announced in the last few weeks that they are eliminating their foreign call centers (for their internet service). One of the call centers is going to be here in Little Rock.

I won't say that they don't still have a long ways to go to completely improve, but AT&T is making the steps towards making it much better.

stephen_s
09-29-2007, 11:28 PM
I can tell you that I have had very good tech support from AT&T Internet in the last few months.

I'll have to agree with you, there. I just switched to AT&T U-Verse, which is their fiber-optic service and I've had good technical support from them.

They even followed up with me to see how I like the service and, when I called to switch to a lower tier, they also looked at my AT&T phone and offered me a cheaper long-distance plan since I don't call long-distance that much.

wrp96
09-29-2007, 11:54 PM
They even followed up with me to see how I like the service and, when I called to switch to a lower tier, they also looked at my AT&T phone and offered me a cheaper long-distance plan since I don't call long-distance that much.

My experiences with the new AT&T have been light years better than my experiences with the old AT&T (whom I deserted years ago for SBC).