PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED! May be adopting another cat

Annette
09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Friday night the hubby and I were coming home from dinner and as we were driving down the block I noticed something small moving under a parked car. After we'd parked I walked over to check it out and found a kitten, about 4 months old. It was about 9:30 at night, quite dark, and the poor little guy was wandering out on his own. We took him home (not before he'd managed to chase after a moth and climb 6' up a telephone pole) and checked to see if he had any ID on him. No collar, no tattoo. The first thing that he did when free to roam the house was get into the recycling and go after the already rinsed out cat food tins. We fed him Friday night, left some food out for him overnight (he ate all of it), and gave him a little more Saturday morning. He spent the night in the basement and while he was a little reserved Friday night by the morning he was all cuddles. Napped on my lap for about an hour. We knew we had to take him in to the pound in case someone out there was looking for him.

I felt so bad about having to leave him there, he started crying as soon as he saw me walking away :( Poor little guy. But we've asked for "special consideration" regarding him, and if they don't manage to locate an owner for him in a few days and the city vet feels that he's fit for adoption then he's mine!! I keep checking the website every few hours to make sure he's still listed there, just in case. They verified that he hasn't been microchipped, so given that he he has no ID whatsoever and was still ravenous when he got to the pound I'm suspecting that he's been on his own for a while and no one is looking for him.

The picture doesn't do him justice, I think they had to hold him still so they get could a picture. So that's his ticked off "why did you leave me here" face.

http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_267_0_0_47/http%3B/cmsserver/NR/rdonlyres/8D1CA7FD-80BD-40E4-AEEF-8F80FE69BA43/0/23807jpg.jpeg

Ned
09-23-2007, 08:53 PM
He looks great. Good luck with him.

Loonbeam
09-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Mew! Mew! (Those are our two adopted cats saying good call!)

bodega
09-23-2007, 11:56 PM
How can you resist those yellow eyes? How many other kitties live with you?

snowfoot
09-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Awwww.... He's adorable. I'm glad you found him. Good luck. ^_^

weblet
09-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Such a cutie!

Annette
09-24-2007, 08:34 AM
How can you resist those yellow eyes? How many other kitties live with you?

Now that's actually a complicated question!

I have 2 others here in Edmonton - both from the shelter. The oldest is about 11, the youngest about 1. Then I actually have 2 in Winnipeg that are with my mother - the oldest is about 11 or 12 and the youngest is around 3. The older one there is the only cat I have ever purchased (cost me a whopping $100), and the youngest found us as a stray. I couldn't take them with me to Edmonton because the older one absolutely hates to travel and would pretty much have to be sedated until asleep. But she's also diabetic so I think that putting that kind of stress on her wouldn't be good.

trvlagt4u
09-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Travel Goddess,
There is a special place in heaven for you! Your new kitty is adorable. He has a bit of a Merlin look to him, or possible Boris...... or Fortunato (lucky in Italian). Keep us posted on your adoption proceedings. :-)

bodega
09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
I grew up with cats, but have only had dogs since I have been an adult. I love to garden so cats and I do not see eye to eye on the purpose of my flower beds^_^ After my last dog died 2 years ago, a mother cat gave birth to 2 kittens in our barn. The mother car got killed out on the road and the 2 kittens hung around. Before we could catch the kittens, one of then had a litter of 3. Two more kittens showed up in my neighbors yard, so we have had all of them fixed and they are allowed to stay IF they stay out of my flower beds(Yeah right!) and keep up on the gophers. The latter they are doing quite well on. I have to say that these ferel cats are winning me back to being a cat lover. To watch them is a hoot. They prowl the pasture like a lion or lioness that even keeps the llama at bay. At dusk it is an interesting sight to watch them wonder in from all around as the young neighbor boy feeds them the dry cat food that his mom and I provide. If the young boy is late in feeding, they all sit at around the perimeter of the deck just waiting. They do not venture up to their bowls until they are filled. One of the new kittens is 'letting' my neighbor make a pet out of her. She is a calico and now thinks she is queen of the pack, since she gets to go inside. I had forgotten the attitude that a cat can have. It is just too funny!

Lynn
09-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Awww Annette, what a sweetheart!! Good for you, there's a special place in kitty heaven for ya.

Annette
09-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Just got the call from the pound, I can pick the little guy up in the morning! :)

bodega
09-26-2007, 02:04 PM
How fun and exciting! Enjoy!!

greenearth
09-26-2007, 02:17 PM
send us a photo! I love adopting babies!:) :)

jjjenny
09-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Your new kitten is so cute! Do you know yet what you will name it?

Annette
09-27-2007, 02:22 PM
As soon as he tires himself out and stays still enough I'll take some pics! I've named him Ringo (he has some dark grey bands at the end of his tail).

Annette
09-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Okay here's the little guy!

There's a little slideshow at http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a84/annette69/Cats/?action=view&current=a477109f.pbw
If I could figure out how to get it to play here I'd insert it.

wrp96
09-27-2007, 05:16 PM
How cute!:)

Lynn
09-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Ringo is adorable, Annette!! How's he fitting into the household?

msnovtue
09-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Aaaawwwwwwwww.... :D What a cutie!!!

I just lost one of my girls about a 2 weeks ago,:( and I *so* want to go get a new kitten. The pics of Ringo might just be what pushes me over the edge.... But I'm trying to be a responsible cat mom-- I've got one room of my house completely torn up & under construction, & I'm leaving for a long week in about a month.... but he's sooo sweet..... *sniff*.... (and it's not like I don't still have 3 very demanding fuzzballs!!!)

Loonbeam
09-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Oh, he's a cutie...

Msnovtue..I'll push ya to the tipping point. www.dailykitten.com

Annette
09-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Ringo is adorable, Annette!! How's he fitting into the household?

He seems to be fitting in pretty well so far. He's learning that he's not to harass the bunnies (the night we had him before taking him to the pound one of the bunnies actually rammed him). He's been playing with Sierra, although they still growl at each other from time to time. At one point this morning I had all 3 cats on the bed (lasted about 10 minutes).