PDA

View Full Version : The flip side of online hotel reviews

mtp51
09-21-2007, 07:36 AM
From the hotelier's side here are 10 things they can and should do in reponse to traveler reviews.

http://www.hotelmarketing.com/index.php/content/article/070920_10_things_you_can_do_in_response_to_travele r_reviews/

weblet
09-21-2007, 08:28 AM
Travel 101, everybody:
Remember, the goal is to be the most attractive to a client, not necessarily the lowest priced.
In other words, the cheapest is not always the best value.

Ned
09-21-2007, 08:32 AM
In addition to the points in the article, I am absolutely certain, that some unscrupulous hotels plant "shill" reviews in sites like Trip Advisor. I say that because I have noticed reviews that use the same basic descriptions and language of the hotel's own web site and are always rave reviews.

I think these review sites are both guest and hotel beware. If you're a potential guest, you really have to analyze the reviews carefully, and to a large extent determine the kind of person (demographics, style, etc.) who made the review to determine if the review is actually applicable to you.

From the hotelier's side here are 10 things they can and should do in reponse to traveler reviews.

http://www.hotelmarketing.com/index.php/content/article/070920_10_things_you_can_do_in_response_to_travele r_reviews/

mtp51
09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
In addition to the points in the article, I am absolutely certain, that some unscrupulous hotels plant "shill" reviews in sites like Trip Advisor. I say that because I have noticed reviews that use the same basic descriptions and language of the hotel's own web site and are always rave reviews.

I think these review sites are both guest and hotel beware. If you're a potential guest, you really have to analyze the reviews carefully, and to a large extent determine the kind of person (demographics, style, etc.) who made the review to determine if the review is actually applicable to you.

Right and we have discussed that numerous times on this forum. I just think it would be prudent for hotels to take the advice from this article, monitor the reviews, look for trends and learn what their customers liked and disliked. The more knowledge you can gain from your customer the better able you are to serve and exceed their expectations.

Ned
09-21-2007, 09:54 AM
If I were a hotel manager, or owner, I certainly would read the reviews and be introspective about the comments.

Right and we have discussed that numerous times on this forum. I just think it would be prudent for hotels to take the advice from this article, monitor the reviews, look for trends and learn what their customers liked and disliked. The more knowledge you can gain from your customer the better able you are to serve and exceed their expectations.

bodega
09-21-2007, 10:35 AM
I use TripAdvisor to see what guests are saying about a particular hotel that I am considering offering to clients or for my own stay. I have noticed that managers are posting when a negative comment is made. Some refute a complaint, some ask for the person to contact them directly, some will openly address the comment.

Regarding reviews, we just stayed at a little hotel in Tahoe that we have stayed at several times before. I checked out the current comments on this hotel and most were very good. However a few weren't and there was one issue that was consistant and it was actually a complaint I heard a guest make when I was standing in the lobby checking out. We didn't have this issue, but obviously others were. So I felt the reviews in TripAdvisor were right on.

Bonjour Burnite
09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Whenever I stay at a hotel, I try to leave a review, whether it is good or bad, but I am an easy traveler so most of my reviews are good ones and point out the best of each place. I am always amazed on what people will "whine" about though; for example I often see hotels, especially in Europe get bad reviews for the size of their bathrooms or that the bathroom was down the hall, mostly from Americans. I have never understood this complaint. I stayed at this quaint, little hotel in Germany that had a shower in the middle of the room, it was about the size of those old British Police Call boxes (Dr. Who anyone) My family and I thought it was hilarious, we did ask for a ensuite shower, and boy we did get one. Most of the reviews of this hotel complained about it, but for a 2 star budget hotel I couldn’t have asked for more.
So I always take reviews with a grain of salt, especially from American reviewers as most Americans in my opinion do not travel nicely (except for us here in TripsoLand of course)

Cheers
Patrick

beachbaby
11-14-2007, 08:08 AM
I actually do read and also write. I try to make sure my reviews are not nitpicky and balanced - good with the bad, etc.

But when I read, I try to also read through comments if they are overly positive or overly negative to see if the person writing has an ax to grind (or if they are just nitpickers who wouldn't be happy no matter what happens) or try to determine if the reviewer is actually an employee.

Ned
11-14-2007, 08:20 AM
When reading these reviews, it's also important to note the home location of the reviewer. Points of view, and expectations vary significantly according to geography.

I actually do read and also write. I try to make sure my reviews are not nitpicky and balanced - good with the bad, etc.

But when I read, I try to also read through comments if they are overly positive or overly negative to see if the person writing has an ax to grind (or if they are just nitpickers who wouldn't be happy no matter what happens) or try to determine if the reviewer is actually an employee.

empress4bb
11-14-2007, 03:27 PM
It's also critical to take note of dates of travel.
IE : the hotel guest that is appalled that the resort in MEXICO was hot humid and buggy in August

Gesualdo
11-15-2007, 01:09 PM
I use TripAdvisor to see what guests are saying about a particular hotel that I am considering offering to clients or for my own stay. I have noticed that managers are posting when a negative comment is made. Some refute a complaint, some ask for the person to contact them directly, some will openly address the comment.

Regarding reviews, we just stayed at a little hotel in Tahoe that we have stayed at several times before. I checked out the current comments on this hotel and most were very good. However a few weren't and there was one issue that was consistant and it was actually a complaint I heard a guest make when I was standing in the lobby checking out. We didn't have this issue, but obviously others were. So I felt the reviews in TripAdvisor were right on.

I usually pay special attention to any negative reviews for this reason. You can tell which negative reviews were done by sourpuss types and which ones are legit, especially when you see a specific complaint repeated. I use the same strategy for determining whether I'm going to buy from a particular Amazon marketplace vendor or not. The positive reviews are usually very similar from one place to the next. It's the negative ones that set it apart.

sherri
11-17-2007, 08:57 PM
I read a review a few months ago and the hotel guests said they would definately return since Lupe the maid, was so nice and good at her job.

tdew
11-18-2007, 06:56 AM
More and more, I find that the reviews by individuals when added to the other information available, help make a good decision.

This applies not only to hotels and merchants, but also to a particular item that I'm thinking of purchasing. I don't always agree with Consumer Report's evaluation, and most likely wouldn't agree with everythhing any one person had to say about a specific item, but it helps to read what other people have found to be the good points and bad points.

For instance - if you ever read that a particular model of VCR is NOISY - BELIEVE IT!