PDA

View Full Version : Slightly travel-related question--- clothing advice....?

msnovtue
09-14-2007, 09:35 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this, and frankly, it's kind of a stupid question, but hey, what the heck...

Here's the deal: I am going to Germany (Bavaria) in early Nov. (Yay!!!:D ). I know pretty well what the weather can be like, so mostly, I have tried-and-true clothing options that work: nice jeans, dressy-looking long-sleeve t-shirt type things, etc. My problem is outerwear.

The only coat I'm taking is a near ankle-length wool coat-- fantastic once the sun goes down or the wind picks up. What I'm looking for is something to wear when it's a bit warmer, and when I'm out and around walking everywhere. I tried a couple of cardigan sweaters last year, but between my backpack and my tendency to get very warm very fast, they didn't work at all.

I really would like to avoid hauling around another heavier jacket, so I'm looking for suggestions. What I'm looking for:

--*very* durable--I frequently use the backpack straps on my army duffle, so it will get a lot of abuse.

---suitable for a range of temps--high 30s to mid 50s (F), if possible

--wind-blocking--if you've been to the Alps, you know what I mean....

-- water/rain-resistant is a definite bonus..

--anndddd...*sigh*... has to come in womens' plus sizes (24/26-- yes, this is a big problem, no pun intended...)

If hauling around a second coat wasn't an issue, I'd probably be using my basic trenchcoat-- I do tend to prefer longer coats/jackets (again, the wind & rain thing.)

So... any ideas?? I'm not against spending a bit of money if I find the right thing.....

All help & suggestions are *very* appreciated...

mtp51
09-14-2007, 09:56 AM
I have this jacket and it's the best for travel (or really anytime) - it's durable and very light weight. I would contact Ex Officio - they might help you with a larger size. I believe the largest size on the website is XL or 18.
http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=2071-5100&key=beffb89d-a987-4465-82a4-4c64b9c7fd9d

Also try LL Bean.

Loonbeam
09-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Been wearing the Men's version of these for years (there are a number of variations on the squall jacket, one of which might suit you better and all of which come in the appropriate size.) If the backpack wears it out, call em up, take it to Sears and they will send you another for just the shipping cost!.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/3in1SquallJacket-68670_174710_57.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_68670

Nice plus is the fleece part is removable, so its 2 jackets in one.

socampbell
09-14-2007, 03:06 PM
They make jackets out of the same mateiral that the fed-ex envelops are made from- I have one, but can't find it online for anything... they are wind and water proof and quite warm, they stuff into a baseball sized wad for the size 10 and weigh next to nothing... it could be worth the search.

Enjoy your Trip!

snowfoot
09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
I go hiking and snowshoeing regularly so I spend a lot of time at outdoor stores such as REI and North Face. Most of the sales associates there are helpful and if you give them your criteria, I bet they can recommend a good jacket for you. I consider clothing an investment so I like try to get the best that I can afford.

Good luck and have fun in Germany!

weblet
09-15-2007, 07:41 AM
The title of the thread suddenly made me think - unless you're on one of those nudist flights, it's very travel related! ;)