PDA

View Full Version : All Work and No Play Makes a Company...Unproductive

mtp51
08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/articles/070805/13smallbiz.htm?s_cid=et-0806
"It may be summertime, but the living isn't easyŚnot for weary workers whose last vacation is a distant memory. According to one recent study, 1 in 4 employees in the United States doesn't get any paid vacation. Almost half don't take even a week off every year. Economists estimate that the average American works one more month per year today than in 1976."

BYOFT
08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
How I wish America would embrace this philosophy!

katroa
08-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Also on the rise..working vacations!..how many take their phones/laptops and work while on vacation?

Kairho
08-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Also on the rise..working vacations!..how many take their phones/laptops and work while on vacation?
It depends on the kind of vacation.

Last weekend I took a mini road trip to north Georgia (with my mare) for fun but had both the phone and laptop with me. Plenty of time for using both.

When I go "out west" for vacation I'll usually bring the phone (why not? no additional charges generally) but skip the laptop. Unless I have things going on and need to have some internet access from time to time.

Internationally, I rarely bring either. But I'll always note the nearest internet cafe.....

wrp96
08-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I always take my cell phone with me on vacation. That way if anything goes wrong with my reservations, etc. I have a way to call my wonderful TA who can fix things for me. My cell phone is even equipped with international calling - precisely for the fact that I do travel outside the country multiple times a year, and I'm usually traveling by myself. Also, it's especially fun for using to call home and torture family and friends with "I'm laying on a beach in 90 degree weather and your at home in 20 degree weather working."

I do not let my work know that I am taking the cell phone with me though. Heck 2 weeks ago I spent the week at the hotel across the street from my office - and only told 2 people in my office about it, and those were the ones that knew to only contact me if my job was on the line if I didn't respond (I was taking the bar exam).

bodega
08-06-2007, 04:37 PM
We were just in the mountains of Idaho with no cell phone service and no laptop access. I loved it!! It there was a need to reach us, our office could reach us at the hotel by land line:eek: . 99.99% of us do not need to be in constant contact with work, but 99.99% of us think they can't exist without us. The other .01% have people who work for them, but for whatever reason they HAVE to have that instant contact.

I saw the saddest thing while on vacation. The family of 4, mom, dad and 2 boys sat next to us one night at dinner. Dad read and the boys played on their handheld computers. Mom sat there with nobody talking to her or with her and stared out into space. Do we not communicate together as a family at dinner or on vacation, or do we need to be glued to something at all times to divert our attention from what is important?