PDA

View Full Version : Oscar the Cat Predicts Patients' Deaths

stephen_s
07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Oscar the cat seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours. His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means they have less than four hours to live.

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20070726/D8QJVME81.html

CruiseExpert
07-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Lately overhead on the Ward, "Get that cat away from me!"

DFWIC
07-26-2007, 06:41 AM
What I found truly amazing is that for the most part Oscar is aloof until that time arrives and then he curls up with the person. If he's put out of the room he paces and meows outside of the door -- absolutely incredible.

deangreenhoe
07-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Lately overhead on the Ward, "Get that cat away from me!"

LOL. No kidding!!! I'd be hiding sardines under the next bed. "Shoo, kitty, shoo!"

greenearth
07-26-2007, 08:43 AM
I actually find that comforting. Cats and dogs are really amazing with their extra sensory skills.

Lynn
07-26-2007, 09:01 AM
What I found truly amazing is that for the most part Oscar is aloof until that time arrives and then he curls up with the person. If he's put out of the room he paces and meows outside of the door -- absolutely incredible.

I agree with you, and with Green as well. Animals are truly amazing.

DFWIC
07-26-2007, 12:05 PM
LOL. No kidding!!! I'd be hiding sardines under the next bed. "Shoo, kitty, shoo!"

May have to stop by Deanos some random afternoon and drop off an Oscar look alike -- :D

Don't ask for whom the cat meows.......

BYOFT
07-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Don't ask for whom the cat meows.......

He poops for you.

(Poops you off, that is!)

jjjenny
07-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Animals really are so amazing. How wonderful that Oscar is there to comfort people.

tiredtravelagent2
07-26-2007, 04:07 PM

That is amazing. And if it is believed that he only goes to those patients (as the article said) because they have an electric blanket on the person why would he pace outside the door and meow his head off? He is othewise aloof as they said. I choose to believe he has a special gift. And can only hope that when my time comes, I too have a special friend to say goodbye to me and be with me. :rolleyes:

vacationagent
07-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I find it comforting, too. The essay by Dr. Dosa in the NEJM was very sweet, too. Oscar will hiss at the residents if they get close to him. He is definitely Alpha Cat. And that essay didn't say anything about heated blankets.

Here's the link:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/4/328

tiredtravelagent2
07-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Thank you vacationagent for sharing that essay. It reaffirms (for me anyways) what Oscar really is, a special being. For if it were as the first article indicated "heated blankets", then he would have stayed in room 310 would he not? :)

silver cloud
07-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Poor Deano - he's so picked on. ;)

I think it's very sweet that Oscar is there for the people that are dying. Perhaps he's an angel in disguise? However, I would also be shooing him away!

DFWIC
07-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Poor Deano - he's so picked on. ;)

Don't worry about Deano -- he likes the abuse :D

deangreenhoe
07-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Don't worry about Deano -- he likes the abuse :D

You betcha. It's my excuse to dish it right back. ^_^

silver cloud
07-27-2007, 09:37 AM
OH I know - he thrives on it. LOL. He's a sick individual...but adored just the same. Oh now it's getting deep in here!

DCTravelAgent
07-27-2007, 10:09 AM
My mother died in a "rehab facility" in 2002 - they also had a resident cat. This one had "favorites" among the residents - mostly the quiet people - post stroke who really could not or did not talk much. She'd get in the bed with them and hang out for an hour or two every couple of days. With my Mom, she'd show up pretty much right after Physical Therapy for "nap time".

CruiseExpert
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
If this cat is in your bed, you're dead.

ARTraveler
07-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Never understimate the power of pets.