PDA

View Full Version : Any recipes for Gluten Free/Lactose Intolerant?

M152Sabrina
07-02-2007, 02:16 PM
So I know this is a tall order but from what I found more people have Celiac's than I first thought so maybe some of you out there have recipes that are good and yummy.

My nephew (whom I have lived with for the past 5 years) is turning 6 years old soon and was just diagnosed with Celiac's Disease. I have to tell you at first we thought it was the end of the world, it's harder than one can imagine to come up with creative ideas to replace all the easy foods one could feed a kindergartener. We have learned (slowly) where to shop what to buy but as two people who enjoy baking and cooking we were wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

He is lactose intolerant, and now can not have Gluten, wheat, barley, oats, and the pediatrician suggested staying away from anything that includes High Fructose. Birthday parties have been already solved as we made a ton of cupcukes and individual corn tortilla pizzas to send with him. Thank god for freezers.

Any ideas?

Like I said I was just curious, we have been told that everything tastes different to each person.

wrp96
07-02-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm in the middle of a move, but I'll be thinking about it and see if I can send you anything. My brother has celiacs and I'm lactose intolerant and can't have corn so we've just gotten used to adapting things, but haven't necessarily written anything down.

M152Sabrina
07-02-2007, 04:25 PM
OoOh thank you so much! The house has just started to eat that way as to not make him feel too different. It's a big allergy and I have to say I never realized how difficult it was going to be.

Gesualdo
07-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I've asked a co-worker who has Celiac disease. She's really into the gluten-free cooking thing. I probably won't hear back from her until tomorrow though. I'll let you know.

Ned
07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Here's some good resources for you.

Celiac.com (http://www.celiac.com/index.html)

GlutenFreeda (http://www.glutenfreeda.com/)

Best gluten-free recipes (http://members.ozemail.com.au/%7Ecoeliac/)

CeliacLife (http://www.celiaclife.com/)

About Recipes for Kids with Celiac Disease (http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/recipes/gluten/about_cd_recipes.html)

Gluten Free Works (http://www.glutenfreeworks.com/recipes.php)

I hope these are useful for you.

Stina
07-02-2007, 10:19 PM
My husband and I are both lactose intolerant (it's a match made in heaven!) so I've been cooking dairy-free for years. My sister also has Celiac's The biggest tip is to avoid the cookbooks for dairy-free recipes and gluten- free recipes. They are all terrible! If I'm lucky, I will find one or two decent recipes inside them.

Hopefully you live near a Whole Foods or Wild Oats. They are expensive, but they make life so much easier when eliminating foods from your diet.

Two brands I'll suggest are Earth Balance for a dairy-free, gluten-free margarine (works almost as well as butter when baking) and Silk Soymilk for a drinkable soy milk (also gluten free).

I'll post some recipes below. Hopefully he isn't too picky.

Stina
07-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Serves 4-6

1 lb peeled and cubed eggplant
1 lb zucchini or summer squash cubed (I like to do a mix of both)
1 onion (red or sweet)
5 medium tomatoes diced (you can also use canned tomatoes)
1/4 cup olive oil
5 garlic cloves minced
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

4 cups cooked rice
2 cups cooked cubed chicken (optional)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Spread into a 9 by 13 in glass baking dish. Cook for 30 minutes. Stir vegetables. Continue cooking until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.

Serve over rice with chicken.

Stina
07-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Salad
1 head lettuce washed and shredded (leaf or romaine)
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 can mandarin oranges
1/2 cup cashews

Mix together.

Dressing
1/4 cup oil
3 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp salt (I always use less)
1/2 tsp pure sesame oil
1/4 tsp pepper

Mix together. Pour over salad and toss. Serve.

Stina
07-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Serves 4

1/2 lb green beans cut into bite size pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 zucchini cubed
1 Tbsp fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, thyme or a combination)
1 Tbsp capers
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Blanch green beans. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil over medium high heat in large skillet. Add the chicken and cook until chicken is slightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Add beans and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and squash. Cook until squash is tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

Mix in herbs, capers, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.

(For those who aren't avoiding wheat, I usually serve this with French bread)

M152Sabrina
07-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Thank you!

Don't get me wrong we have gone to the websites, bought all the interesting corn flour, tapioca starch/flour, xanthan gum, rice flour.. so that we can make our own new replacement flour. What we have been told is that you have to try products after products to find what is good. (Like you said) We now shop at Whole Foods and My Organic Market. Walked into a whole new world with that one.

So far though so good and he is a very adventurous child, whom started eating sushi (no matter what type) just shy of 3 years old. We get the Silk Original Soy which after awhile you don't even notice the difference. I guess the hardest thing we have had to do is make bread. Cause the bread they sell is disgusting. I tried my first attempt last weekend. Wasn't too bad BUT not sandwich material. LOL

We have also made from scratch Pop-Tarts, cause let's face it kids love them. The first page turned out just alright so I am sure next we will get better.

Thank you Stina!

Ned
07-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Sabrina, pop-tarts? ;) One of the things we always limited for the kids, and ourselves, for that matter was and is sugar.

M152Sabrina
07-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh trust me I agree with that to an extent, more so now of course as the ped's doctor told us anything that has high fructose should be stayed away from as well. That's why our all organic and fresh fruit pop-tarts is a great way to make the kid think he is getting a treat but in fact it is good for you.

You have to remain smarter than the children and one thing we have always instilled in him is that he may not like eating something one way but it can always be prepared to in another to be healthy and taste good.

Ned
07-03-2007, 08:55 AM
I sure agree with this.

At the time, many parents thought some of our child rearing principles were crazy, but over time many came around to our way of thinking.

Two of the principles we were adamant about were:

All computing prior to the age of 13 was public in the house. Even after that, no personal information was ever to be placed online. No chat rooms ever.
No TV from 6:00PM Sunday, until after school on Friday. No exception unless there was a specific school assignment, or something spectacular in the news. (By the way, my wife and I watch little TV ourselves. Other than sports, we watch about 6 programs per week, max, plus America's Test Kitchen (I love that program). There are better ways to be entertained.)The kids understood why and that we weren't going to change our minds about this, no matter what the rules were in their friends' homes.

Our kids are voracious readers.

Oh trust me I agree with that to an extent, more so now of course as the ped's doctor told us anything that has high fructose should be stayed away from as well. That's why our all organic and fresh fruit pop-tarts is a great way to make the kid think he is getting a treat but in fact it is good for you.

You have to remain smarter than the children and one thing we have always instilled in him is that he may not like eating something one way but it can always be prepared to in another to be healthy and taste good.

Tango412
08-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Hello all,

I am a very proud aunt to two wonderful nieces! My three-year-old niece (at 21lbs - so tiny!) was just diagnosed with Celiacs and lactose intolerance. As I love to bake, I have really enjoyed trying to find great-tasting, kid-friendly recipes that turn out like the "real" thing.

I met a woman at a celiac bakery that passed along a couple of great tips - including a GF chocolate chip cookie recipe from Gourmet magazine. These cookies are absolutely wonderful, look and taste just non-gluten free cookies.

Here's the "Sweets Without Wheat" article from Gourmet magazine:
http://www.epicurious.com/gourmet/features/gluten (http://www.epicurious.com/gourmet/features/gluten)

Tips: Bake one "test" cookie to see how it turns out. I altered the recipe a bit and it turned out great -- I used a bit more baking soda to make them rise more, used Lactaid milk in place of regular milk, and used half Crisco, half Blue Bonnet margarine in place of only Crisco for butterier flavor.

You can also substitute other cookie ingredients like white chocolate and macadamia nuts, or substitute the flour (and necessary xantham gum) in traditional recipes for oatmeal raisin cookies, peanut butter cookies, etc.

One other tip she gave me was Sami's bakery out of Tampa (www.samisb (http://www.samisb) akery.com) . She said their millet and flaxseed bread is the closest that she's had to "regular" bread. I ordered some for my sister/niece and had it shipped. Although I did not actually see the bread, she said it was really good. My niece liked the taste, but at 3, the seeds in the regular bread bothered her a bit. My niece liked their GF Cinnamon Raisin bread, and loved the Cinnamon Pita Chips (have only heard rave reviews on the pita chips). Each loaf of bread is $3.99 I believe there is a minimum $25 order.

Another recipe I have been really happy with is the Blueberry muffin recipe on Celiac.com. I use generously use frozen blueberries (or raspberries), fill cups to top and sprinkle raw sugar on top. Kids love'em.

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=521&p_catid=47&sid=91hH9H1kgJsc4zv-37107187584.3e

Hope you have found lots of great recipes! Good luck!