PDA

View Full Version : Best Airline Internationally?

CDG
07-29-2005, 11:40 AM
I am curious of peoples' impressions of the best airline(s) for International flights and the reasons. Who has left you with an extremely positive impression and why?
Business Class and Economy?

stephen_s
07-29-2005, 11:55 AM
I haven't flown internationally in a while, but when I did, I liked Singapore Airlines. They were pretty friendly and they used the 747, which was roomy (even in Economy).

Ekheff
07-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Definitely Singapore Airlines. I recently flew from JFK-FRA (Frankfurt). I ended up riding in economy because the fare was just too good to pass up. Something like $400 round-trip.

They had individual tv monitors in seat with first rate on demand movies, free drinks(something of a rarity these days even on international flights), great food, ice cream for a snack, constant attentive service and the plane was only half full.... I had a whole row of 3 to myself.

The flight attendants were awesome. I higly recommend flying them if you can. :)

HockeyDude
07-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Qatar was excellent. I haven't flown with the Asian carriers but Qatar from LHR to DOH was fabulous in Biz Class. They fly a 3 class configuration. The Crew are very strong with a strong cabin presence. The food was a mix of Western and Arabic choices and drinks were always refreshed. Spotless cabin. I didn't love the angle of the lie flat seat but I was able to sleep a few hours both ways. I think this is airline that could make a run at Emirates. They need to get their IFE upgraded to VOD though.

Greta
07-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Very best airline is Cathay Pacific.

Next is Singapore Airlines, although their meals from NYC to Frankfurt are not what they used to be. Service is great and friendly.

Some of my clients are telling me that Emirate is great.

RobertSDF
07-31-2005, 10:39 AM
In my opinion, it is without a doubt , Singapore.

tvlagt1
08-04-2005, 01:24 PM
I have clients that fly Emirates every month and rave about it. Business and also economy. Also love the nonstop out of JFK. They also fly Malaysia and like their service as well.

smwatk
08-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Pretty much Asian airlines like Singapore Air, Cathay Pacific, Thai Air, routinely win any survery for best international airline. I haven't in my 20+ years in the industry ever seen an American-based airline come close, which I always find interesting. And sad.

c7edwards
08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
I haven't flown any Asian airline, but Virgin Atlantic's coach class was terrific: Comfortable seat, amazing video/audio entertainment selections, good food, a bag full of travel freebies and excellent and fun cabin service. Air France and Lufthansa are very good, too.

rampo
08-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by smwatk@Aug 7 2005, 07:16 PM
Pretty much Asian airlines like Singapore Air, Cathay Pacific, Thai Air, routinely win any survery for best international airline.* 6518

I've flown a few Asian airlines like JAL, Thai and Cathay, and where they win out over American carriers is the service. Even in coach the flight attendants are quite attentive and efficient (I've flown 50-minute flights where beverage service, a box lunch AND an ice cream were managed). And I must admit that I find it very embarrassing that so many American carrier flight attendants who routinely work the US-Japan route cannot be bothered to learn a few helpful phrases for the many Japanese passengers. Too many still insist on the if-they-don't-understand-english-say-it-louder method: "I SAID, CHICKEN OR PASTA!!"

franniep
08-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by CDG@Jul 29 2005, 12:40 PM
I am curious of peoples' impressions of the best airline(s) for International flights and the reasons. Who has left you with an extremely positive impression and why?

franniep
08-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by CDG@Jul 29 2005, 12:40 PM

I like Aer Lingus. Flight attendants are genuinely nice, and do their best in somewhat over crowded conditions. As time allows, I have always had informative and pleasant conversations, complete with city tips and suggestions, with the flight staff.

Luftansa is the worst. Guesomely crowded economy, with overbearing flight attendants who are quick to communicate they just cannot be bothered.

grgtravel
08-15-2005, 04:21 PM
why American carrier is going down one by one or should I say is one follow another? no fa is nice because the boss didn't treat them right. or just too 'right' up and beyong the world that people of other have to bow to fa ? take one to know one. we all know you get what you pay for. today's fare market. there is no one to be nice about it. cannot afford it. everthing is automatic. is humen face to machine, talk with machine...machine have no feeling because they are cold and unfriendy. you get screw if you press the wrong key by mistake. soon all American carrier will have a robot as fa insteat of humen.

jo.g
08-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Air France/Delta from Atlanta to Paris in Business Class was a real treat. I would do it again.

jfrenaye
08-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Well if you are not used to business class I can imagine ANY business class would be a treat. AF is very clost to the bottom of my list.

I have to go with Thai, Singapore, and Cathay in that order. No matter the cabin, when the wheels are up, the FA's are literally running in the aisles to serve you.

The American carriers should be ashamed. I am so sick of hearing "we are here for your safety" If you read between the lines it means, "I ain't gonna do squat for you so you might as well not even bother to ask."

Greta
08-16-2005, 11:57 AM
as for European airlines, Austrian Airline is very good, as per clients feedback.

modgirl
08-23-2005, 07:31 PM
The only non-American (the country, not the airline) overseas flight I've ever flown in BA. I generally fly NW, Continental, or BA overseas (almost always the destination is London). BA is VASTLY superior to NW (which I can't stand and wouldn't fly except for their ultra cheap rates) and Continental.

Nancy
08-23-2005, 11:30 PM
I would have to go with Virgin and Air France as my favorites. I flew Cathay Pacific many years ago and was very impressed with their service. I flew Cathay again two years ago and was as impressed. I felt like we have very little personal space which I know is a problem with many airlines these days.

flyer
08-25-2005, 04:39 PM
I am really surprised that anyone would say the economy seats on Virgin are comfortable. Neither my husband nor I are large people, and I found the seats to be the narrowest I have ever sat in, worse than those on the shortest domestic flight, absolutely appalling on transatlantic. Not only were they narrow, but the man in front of me had his seat inclined the entire time and I could hardly extract myself. We sat in bulkhead seats on the way back from London which made it bearable, and the service on London to Newark was very good, but 7 plus hours wedged in one position is not much fun.

Gulp
08-25-2005, 07:28 PM
I agree about the seats, but as a disabled person I've always been able to get an aisle seat so I have more room to put my legs out. (Never tripped up the cabin crew yet, either!).
Virgin Economy has brilliant service and the food was actually really good - I rarely eat anyway, but the Virgin food is excellent for an airline. Plus you get the little freebie comfort bags.
Another great airline I've flown with internationally (and when I say this, I mean LAX to LHR or LGW or LAX to JFK/ATL to MAN) is Continental.
And both airlines have always taken care of me with regards to my fear of flying.

Greta
09-01-2005, 03:37 PM
I just flew Singapore Airlines again, from JFK to Frankfurt.
They should be ashamed of themselves serving these poor no taste meals.
This is the 3rd time I fly with them to Germany, and the meals are pretty bad. :angry:
At least on the way back, it was decent, and the bread was warmed up, instead of a cold terrible sandwich on the way to Frankfurt.

I believe their good meals are served on their flights to Asia only. :o

When landing, their air conditioning stopped working....and suddenly hot air was blowing out... We were all so hot for about 10 min, we could hardly breath.... the captain kept saying...sorry, we are trying to fix the problem. Suddenly the A/C was functioning again...but then the gate had a problem and they couldn't get it
to the plane... so we waited about 15min to get it fixed... :rolleyes:

Otherwise, all was fine :D