PDA

View Full Version : Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich - Eat it often and you'll surely win a Darwin Award

Ned
06-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I happened to click on the web site, "The Pioneer Woman Cooks." On it was a recipe called Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich (http://www.thepioneerwomancooks.com/the_pioneer_woman_cooks/2007/06/marlboro_mans_f.html). The photo of the sandwich really looks good. Then I read the ingredients. Whoa baby. Whoever eats this sandwich on a regular basis will surely win a Darwin Award.

After looking this over, I'm no longer convinced that smoking killed the Marlboro Man, Wayne McLaren, anymore. I think it might have been this "cholesterol city" sandwich. In my life, I've never seen a recipe like it anywhere.

The 4 sandwiches this recipe makes use 2-3 pounds of round steak, and at least 1/2 pound of butter.

The most amazing thing about the recipe, are all the comments about the recipe, calling it the greatest. I suspect that even the "Whopper" is healthier.

jfrenaye
06-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Ned, get off the high horse (sorry for the pun could not help myself) ...that sounds fantastic. I am getting my fix of a cheesesteak on Tuesday, so it just served to whet my whistle!

Seriously that looks fantastic!

Ned
06-23-2007, 09:57 AM
The pun was great.

It does look good, and I'll bet it tastes phenomenal, however, 0.5 pounds of butter for only 4 sandwiches?

Here's the nutritional math exercise:

Butter has 33 milligrams of cholesterol in one tablespoon alone! Overall, it is recommended that healthy persons consume no more than 200 milligrams cholesterol each day.

For the Marlboro Man sandwich, that's 4 tablespoons butter per sandwich or 132 milligrams cholesterol, or 66% or the max daily dose for a healthy person from the butter alone.

Now, add in the cholesterol from a half pound of round steak (lean) of 175mg for a total of 307mg cholesterol for the sandwich (not counting any other source in the sandwich and the Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich contains 154% of the recommended daily maximum intake of cholesterol for a healthy person.

Let's take a look at a Pat's Steak.

Pat's uses Soy Bean Oil to cook their steaks, and the fried onions which go on them. Soybean oil contains no cholesterol. Pat's uses 6oz of Rib Eye Steak per sandwich, which has 158mg of cholesterol. The Cheese Wiz (As you know I'm allergic to it, and so eat my Pat's steak without any cheese; fake or real) adds 25mg of cholesterol. So when I go to Pat's very occasionally (you've got to cheat sometimes to have fun) I'm only getting 79% of the recommended daily max of cholesterol, and you're only getting 92% of the recommended daily max of cholesterol, compared to 154% by the Marlboro Man. See how healthy we're eating at Pat's. :D

Here it is in a nutshell:

Ned at Pat's - 158mg
John at Pat's - 183mg
Marlboro Man - 307mgI'm going for a doggie with mustard on Tuesday. They're full of the bad stuff too.

Ned, get off the high horse (sorry for the pun could not help myself) ...that sounds fantastic. I am getting my fix of a cheesesteak on Tuesday, so it just served to whet my whistle!

Seriously that looks fantastic!

John225
06-23-2007, 10:11 AM
OMG! It looks great, but I have to agree with Ned. Now, I'm from the south and love my butter, but damn! I bet you could make that thing taste just as good with a lot less butter than what it calls for. What's wrong with cooking the onions in a combo of butter and olive oil? And using a low fat spread on the bread?

I'm sure that I'm like Ned in that I have found ways to compensate for fat content in foods and still make them taste just as good.

Carchar
07-01-2007, 12:04 AM
This sandwich was brought to you by the Wisconsin Dairy Farmers Assn.

Question: Why can't you get butter with your meal in Wisconsin? They only serve margarine and we actually had to ask for milk for our coffee. They gave us non dairy coffee creamer, not half and half. OK, we were only passing through, but you'd think they'd want to promote what WI is famous for besides cheeseheads.

AaronK
07-01-2007, 06:52 AM
If I were to guess, the restaurant you were in was being cheap.

Carchar
07-01-2007, 04:17 PM
If I were to guess, the restaurant you were in was being cheap.

It was Perkins, a chain operation. In other states they have served butter. (And maybe they do in other parts of WI.)

Kairho
07-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Now there's a business opportunity ... spreadable Lipitor. Or at least as an ingredient in mayo!

Appleseed
08-18-2007, 03:50 PM
This sandwich looks GREAT.

mtp51
08-19-2007, 09:17 AM
I agree - the sandwich looks fabulous!

Annette
08-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Okay I'll be the dissenting opinion! That sandwich doesn't look at all appealing to me. Not sure why, but even without looking at the ingredients I get the feeling that I'd be feeling pretty awful the rest of the day if I ate that.

Appleseed
08-19-2007, 10:37 PM
To me, there's no better sandwich than say a cheesesteak (preferably from Philadelphia) or a hot sausage sandwich with lots of onions and peppers. This Marlboro Man sandwich is along those lines to me. I can't wait to try it.

Another pretty good sandwich not to be missed is one from Primanti's in Pittsburgh. Their sandwiches are unique in that they are overstuffed and include fries and cole slaw ON the sandwich. My favorite is the hot sausage, but I believe their best seller is the cheesesteak.

I'm getting hungry writing this post.

Ned
08-19-2007, 11:12 PM
I agree that there's no better sandwich than a Philly Cheese Steak (although I am really partial to lean hot corned beef sandwich, sliced thin Jewish style), but in the same breath, don't say that the MM sandwich is along those lines.

They make the MM with at least a half pound of butter for 4 sandwiches.

Pat's uses Soy Bean Oil to cook their steaks, and the fried onions which go on them. Soybean oil contains no cholesterol. Pat's uses 6oz of Rib Eye Steak per sandwich, which has 158mg of cholesterol. The Cheese Wiz adds 25mg of cholesterol. So when you're eating a Pat's Cheese Steak you're getting 92% of the recommended daily max of cholesterol, compared to 154% if you eat the Marlboro Man.

Here it is in a nutshell:

John at Pat's - 183mg vs. Marlboro Man - 307mg

That's a world of difference, and don't get me started about a sausage sandwich.

I went to school in Pittsburgh. Please don't mention Primanti's. They haven't a clue how to make a top quality sandwich. I ate there before Stanley died, and have been back since it reopened. It's not as good as when Stanley was alive, and it was never as good as Pat's.

To me, there's no better sandwich than say a cheesesteak (preferably from Philadelphia) or a hot sausage sandwich with lots of onions and peppers. This Marlboro Man sandwich is along those lines to me. I can't wait to try it.

Another pretty good sandwich not to be missed is one from Primanti's in Pittsburgh. Their sandwiches are unique in that they are overstuffed and include fries and cole slaw ON the sandwich. My favorite is the hot sausage, but I believe their best seller is the cheesesteak.

I'm getting hungry writing this post.

Appleseed
08-20-2007, 12:15 AM
I went to school in Pittsburgh. Please don't mention Primanti's. They haven't a clue how to make a top quality sandwich. I ate there before Stanley died, and have been back since it reopened. It's not as good as when Stanley was alive, and it was never as good as Pat's.

Primanti's sandwiches are unique, mostly due to the way they build them. I do think they're good and siometimes when you get the hankering for one, nothing else will do. That said, however, I would agree that almost nothing compares to a cheesesteak from Pat's or Geno's in Philly. We do have a sandwich joint in Pittsburgh called Southside Steaks that makes a pretty good cheesesteak Philly style -- they even have their rolls driven in fromAmoroso's Baking Company in Philadelphia. It's probably the best cheesesteak you'll find in Pittsburgh. See info here: http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/37280561/?brand=smx_restaurant-nc

Ned is right that the Marlboro Man is not the healthiest of choices, but usually the best sandwiches are the greasiest ones. I can't wait to try one.

Now, as far as Hot Sausage sandwiches go, I would have to say that it's not easy finding one better than mine! But there are a few around. In Pittsburgh, there is a hole-in-the-wall joint called Frankie's which serves a killer sausage sandwich. I am always open to suggestions also.

For those interested in more info on Primanti's, click here: http://www.primantibros.com

Question for Ned: You went to CMU. I'm sure you're familiar with the Original Hot Dog Shop. What's your opinion?

Ned
08-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Now, I'll go along with you about Southside Steaks. They copy Philly steaks pretty darn well. The problem is the place is just too clean. :lol:

In answer to your question, yes I remember the Original Hot Dog Shop. If I remember right, it was on Forbes, and we used to go there before Pirates' games. What I remember about it was that it was cheap, make that very cheap, greasy, and had the best fries anywhere. Didn't the original one, across from where Forbes Field was, close down in the last few years? I get back to Pittsburgh periodically.

By the way, I kind of predate CMU. I was in the last graduating class (1969), which had the option to have a Carnegie Institute of Technology ring and diploma, even though the name had officially changed that year. I opted for both the CIT ring and diploma.

Primanti's sandwiches are unique, mostly due to the way they build them. I do think they're good and siometimes when you get the hankering for one, nothing else will do. That said, however, I would agree that almost nothing compares to a cheesesteak from Pat's or Geno's in Philly. We do have a sandwich joint in Pittsburgh called Southside Steaks that makes a pretty good cheesesteak Philly style -- they even have their rolls driven in fromAmoroso's Baking Company in Philadelphia. It's probably the best cheesesteak you'll find in Pittsburgh. See info here: http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/37280561/?brand=smx_restaurant-nc

Ned is right that the Marlboro Man is not the healthiest of choices, but usually the best sandwiches are the greasiest ones. I can't wait to try one.

Now, as far as Hot Sausage sandwiches go, I would have to say that it's not easy finding one better than mine! But there are a few around. In Pittsburgh, there is a hole-in-the-wall joint called Frankie's which serves a killer sausage sandwich. I am always open to suggestions also.

For those interested in more info on Primanti's, click here: http://www.primantibros.com

Question for Ned: You went to CMU. I'm sure you're familiar with the Original Hot Dog Shop. What's your opinion?

Appleseed
08-20-2007, 12:51 AM
In answer to your question, yes I remember the Original Hot Dog Shop. If I remember right, it was on Forbes. What I remember about it was that it was cheap, make that very cheap, greasy, and had the best fries anywhere.

By the way, I kind of predate CMU. I was in the last graduating class (1969), which had the option to have a Carnegie Institute of Technology ring and diploma, even though the name had officially changed that year. I opted for both the CIT ring and diploma.

The Original still does have the best fries anywhere .... and gives you VERY large orders. A small will feed four! Their hot dogs are pretty good also, but I have had better. Definitely within the tops in Pittsburgh, though.

By the way ... the CMU Bookstore sells some pretty cool Carnegie Tech throwback merchandise.