PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant reservations go online

mtp51
06-18-2007, 10:06 AM
This is old news to me - I've been using Open Table since its inception.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/business/18opentable.html?th&emc=th

Do you make dinner reservations online?

Ned
06-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Marge, you're right, this is old news. We've been using open table for quite some time too.

The one thing in the article, which I don't think many people have realized, to date, is Zagat's new relationship with Open Table, announced only this past February 16th, and first implemented just about two weeks ago, on June 5th, when they announced it to their members. Now you can make reservations via Zagat.com through Open Table. It makes it very convenient. Zagat, when coming to their agreement with Open Table also announced that they had purchased a minority stake in the company.

Stina
06-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I've never used Open Table before. I do make a lot of dinner reservations for my company. I know a few restaurants my boss frequents are on Open Table, but I've always been nervous that something with the online booking will go wrong.

I'll have to give it a try in the future and cross my fingers.

Ned
06-19-2007, 09:59 PM
We've made more that a hundred reservations by Open Table, Stina, and they've all been honored. Within minutes of making a reservation you will receive an email with a confirmation number and links for viewing, changing, or canceling your reservation. I always have my confirmation with me, but I've never needed it.

I've never used Open Table before. I do make a lot of dinner reservations for my company. I know a few restaurants my boss frequents are on Open Table, but I've always been nervous that something with the online booking will go wrong.

I'll have to give it a try in the future and cross my fingers.

mtp51
06-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Ned is correct. It's so easy and I have never had a problem using Open Table - my reservations have always been honored. I think it is especially useful if you are going to a large and/or popular city where dinner reservations are in high demand.

bodega
06-20-2007, 11:13 AM
When I first read this my immediate throught was I wouldn't use it. However, since they send you a confirmation, that would make me more comfortable than calling a popular restaurant and getting a verbable confirmation of my reservation. In the past, we have had 2 reservations not be found when we have arrived for dinner.

jjjenny
06-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Open Table sounds like a good idea, I wish I could use it around where I live. Maybe someday..for now I'll have to use the old fashioned method by using the phone.

MStevens
08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Huh? I had never heard of this. I was a GM of a Fine dining restaurant & I would have loved to have used this. We had it set up to where you could go to our site & get a reservation from there & I'd send a conformation to their email or call them. You'd be surprised how many people don't show up for their reservations & never called to cancel:mad:

Ned
08-22-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm not at all surprised. We always make it a point to call if we have to cancel any kind of reservation.

Hey this is why the airlines overbook. As a restaurant manager, did you overbook to any degree.

Huh? I had never heard of this. I was a GM of a Fine dining restaurant & I would have loved to have used this. We had it set up to where you could go to our site & get a reservation from there & I'd send a conformation to their email or call them. You'd be surprised how many people don't show up for their reservations & never called to cancel:mad:

MStevens
08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
No I was always knew it would bite me in the butt & It was a very small restauraunt with only 15 tables. I knew that I would always have some one walk in & want to dine with us. I turned so many people away.

BPoland
08-24-2007, 02:44 AM
I absolutely love Open Table. If a restaurant is listed (and here in Boston most are), that is me preferred way of making my reservation. I've been using them for years, and have never had a problem with a reservation. Plus, they give you a link so that you can download the reservation, with full details, directly into Outlook:D

Loonbeam
08-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Also, at least here in Philly, if you show up for your reservation at some places, you get points toward free food!

Ned
08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
That's true of OpenTable all over LB.

Also, at least here in Philly, if you show up for your reservation at some places, you get points toward free food!

Loonbeam
08-25-2007, 05:20 PM
I was told that some of the overseas locations don't get credit and the system lets you know when that happens. I haven't seen it yet, of course I haven't booked anything in Paris yet :)

Ned
08-25-2007, 06:28 PM
I did a brief check of the UK and found no listed London restaurants said anything about no credit. In fact on the reward page it shows the rewards levels for the UK. I looked at Singapore too. Nothing was noted there.

At this time, there are no Paris restaurants participating.

These are the international participants (The number following the country are the number of participating restaurants in the below areas.):

Canada (253)
Caribbean (1)
Hong Kong (1)
Mexico (121)
Singapore (5)
United Kingdom (254)

I was told that some of the overseas locations don't get credit and the system lets you know when that happens. I haven't seen it yet, of course I haven't booked anything in Paris yet :)