PDA

View Full Version : Lobster Roll

Ned
06-16-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't know about you all, but I love a good Maine lobster. The thing is though, I don't like them when they're over-seasoned, or overshadowed by other flavors, when used in a variety of dishes. I think the flavor of lobster is wonderful and doesn't need much help. I just like to savor its unadorned flavor.

So when I went to Billy's Chowder House, in Wells, ME, many years ago, and ordered their wonderful Lobster Roll, and found that that fabulous taste of fresh Maine Lobster was actually featured in the sandwich, I knew I had to have the recipe.

An example of bad lobster roll comes from the famous food network recipe, which includes in the lobster/mayo mix, celery, chives, Dijon mustard, parsley, and basil. Now these are all great ingredients, and they work well with seafood in general, but in this case, they don't do much more than hide that great lobster flavor.

The wonderful Chef, Bobby Flay, understands lobster too. His lobster roll recipe is very similar to the one I got from Billy's, which you'll find below.

After eating the lobster roll at Billy's, I ordered, and ate a second one. I know I was a pig about it, but I couldn't resist. I asked if I could get the recipe from the chef, and Billy's owner, Dick Varano, came over and said "Why not, it's easy to make."

Here's the recipe from Billy's.

LOBSTER ROLL (Makes 2 servings)
8 ounces cooked lobster meat, torn into bite-size pieces (use the claws and tail meat, and while making this recipe, don't forget to suck out the meat from the legs yourself, for the extra enjoyment due the chef for making these wonderful lobster rolls for others to enjoy.
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 hot dog rolls
1/2 small head of butter lettuce, thinly slicedCombine lobster meat and mayonnaise in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Butter the inside and outside surfaces of hot dog rolls lightly. Heat medium skillet over medium-high heat. Place rolls, in skillet, inside halves down; cook until browned slightly, then reverse. Cook about 1-2 minutes per side.

Open rolls. Fill with lettuce, then lobster mixture, and serve.

Bon Appetit! :cool:

Dusty Springfield
06-17-2007, 11:20 AM
For years we have searched New England for the perfect lobster roll. This recipe Ned gives is very very good. One clarification however - it must be a New England style hot dog roll. and you brush the outside with melted butter before grilling. It is the hot bun, cold lobster, salty butter, sweet lobster combination that makes it work. That is what we are making for Father's Day dinner. On my way to get the lobsters now.

wpbagent
06-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Ned, my daughter loves lobster, do you mind if I copy and sent this recipe to her?

Ned
06-17-2007, 11:45 AM
By all means. I posted it so anyone can enjoy it.

If you're up in Maine, near Wells, Billy's Chowder House (http://www.billyschowderhouse.com/) is still there. Go there for a great lunch. It's still worth the visit for the lobster roll alone. I hadn't realized it, but Bon Appetit featured Billy's Lobster Roll in their September, 2002 issue.

Wells is not far off I95 about 20 miles north of Kittery Maine, which is at the Maine/New Hampshire border. Wells is about 55 miles south of Freeport, the Home of L.L. Bean.

Ned, my daughter loves lobster, do you mind if I copy and sent this recipe to her?