PDA

View Full Version : Congress votes to increase minimum wage

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
05-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Thoughts anyone???

From MSNBC.COM

WASHINGTON - America’s lowest-paid workers won a $2.10 raise Thursday, with Congress approving the first increase in the federal minimum wage in almost a decade.
...workers who now make $5.15 an hour will see their paychecks go up by 70 cents per hour before the end of the summer. Another 70 cents will be added next year, and by summer 2009, all minimum-wage jobs will pay no less than $7.25 an hour.

The full article can be found at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18847929/

TRichmond
05-25-2007, 12:47 PM
It won't have any affect here in CA as out state minimum is already higher that the newly passed Federal minimum wage.

tiredtravelagent2
05-25-2007, 01:00 PM
It won't have any affect here in CA as out state minimum is already higher that the newly passed Federal minimum wage.

With gas at over $3.00 a gallon, electricity at an all time high , grocery prices skyrocketing by day, it really is not going to make a whole lot of difference I don't think in alot of places. :cool:

But it was the thought that counted right? :rolleyes: <insert heavy sarcasm>

Ships 'N' Trips Travel
05-26-2007, 08:43 AM
It's never enough ... but it's better than nothing I suppose.

I doubt it'll do much here in Tennessee either. I don't think we have a state minimum wage like in California, but other than fast food I'm not sure how many businesses pay $5.15/hour around here.

My daughter bags groceries and they started her at $7.25 and in 6 months she's already up to $7.75/hour.