PDA

View Full Version : fear of flying article

Joe
04-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Great article on fear or flying, I greatly enjoyed it and the link was super. Still have not flown, but would love to one day. If things work out with the wonderful woman I drove 1,000 to meet this past week, I will take her to Boston on the Delta shuttle. If I may, could I ask what airline you work for, and if you recommend a long or short flight for a phobic flyer. I have tried programs in the past, had counseling from Diana Ronnell (PanAm's former program moderator) and tried Carol Stauffer's program (US Air) but to no avail. I lost my career as a result of this fear as it required me to be in distant cities on often short notice. Any added advice or links would be appreciated, the one you sent was super. My girlfriend flew to St. Louis from Boise, and was back in a fraction of the time it took me to drive. It would have been nice to be home in NYC (preferably with her!!) in three hours instead of 16. Thanks again! :)

James Wysong
05-03-2005, 07:53 PM
I am glad you enjoyed the article. As far as who I currently work for, it is the only thing I am not allowed to say for legal reasons. I can tell you that I worked for Pan Am before, and I currently work for an airline with financial woes, but I guess that could be any airline except Southwest :o

Joe
05-11-2005, 12:55 PM
My former fear of flying counselor, Diana R, worked for Pan Am. She did private counseling after they ended their fearful flyer program. Wish I had half of the money I spend on her!!!! Still no luck with flying, wife wants me to try a short flight this weekend as family is going to Atlanta in a couple of weeks for grandchild's second birthday. As an aside, you may remember a steward named Barton. Nice man, he survived the holocaust when most of his family perished and then came to the United States. I went out with his daughter Lisa years ago, he was with Pan Am. Always found my phobia somewhere between interesting and amusing. Thank you again for the link to the fearful flyer site.

EDITED: Deleted personal details (last name) Jwf

wazzup
05-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Joe, If nothing seems to help your fears it very well could be alcohol consumption. Alcohol can lead to a list of phobias as long as your arm. Many people use alcohol as a tranquilizer but in fact it can fuel a phobia & actually cause more. It can be your worst enemy when it comes to phobias. If you drink lay off for 1-2 months & you'll clearly see improvement. Of course I don't know if you drink or not, but if you do, this is a solid tip..........wazzup

Precious
06-28-2005, 03:16 AM
It is barely possible for anyone to be a more fearful flyer than i used to be. I tried alcohol :twisted: , deep breathing (which led to hyperventalating) :oops: , sedatives :arrow: and anxiety medication :lol: . I must say that anti-anxiety medication helped a little - but as soon as the door shut I still wanted to run up the aisle and beg for my life to be released from what I saw as a death trap. I couldn't stand for anyone including the flight attendants to walk in the plane because that was extra movement that I saw as potentially making the plane fall. So what finally worked? Nothing has removed all my anxiety, but simply forcing myself to fly and reminding myself of the safety statistics of flying versus any other form of travel and forcing myself to be logical instead of out of control with freak emotional fears has helped a LOT. The first flights were much more difficult than it is for me now. I now willing walk the gangplank to the plane. I sit by the window so I can look outside and get into the view. I bring books and magazines but if the nearest passenger to me wants to talk I use that time to hear someone else's story. I used to quietly let the flight attendant know I was a fearful flyer while I was crossing the threshhold of the deathtrap and found they were usually able to help me a bit, even if it was just to ask me how I was doing a little later on. Now I make it a point to find something to compliment about them just to give them a reason to smile - and find that I feel better immediately.

If I don't like a flight I say so. I recently asked a captain if he had been a test pilot prior to being hired by his airline and was invited into the cockpit after the flight so he could explain himself and satisfy his curiosity about who had the gall to say that to him. :D He was a surly fellow and it was nice to see the co-pilot crack up.

I recommend hanging in there and making yourself get on the plane, bring distractions and do some of the same things you do to make a trip to the dentist tolerable - whatever it is - because fear of the dentist is caused by the same thing, YOU aren't the one in control. Make yourself DEAL with it or you're nothing but your own victim.

Anonymous
06-29-2005, 12:24 PM
glad you were able to overcome your fear. My problem is that my panic attacks are so severe and debilitating that I seldom get far on the jetway. No need to explain, but let's just say I should fast for three days before trying. Almost flew a couple of times, wish I could have sat down on the plane as I was sooo close on a beautiful summer evening in LaGuardia. Just could not sit down so they told me I could not stay. It is hard, and if I could get past the panic attacks and initial fear I believe I could do it. As an aside, NY courts do NOT recognize fear of flying as a disability and this fact precipitated the end of my legal career (which required me to fly to remote courts on often short notice). Still, I hope to overcome this fear and be able to fly. Good luck on your future flights, hopefully I will meet you on one of them.