PDA

View Full Version : Do us a favor, Take a Vacation!

mtp51
05-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Warning: this is from Business Week so you don't have to read it, Ned.:rolleyes:

"Even when managers do go away, they don't get away. Instead of mentally checking out in cabanas with cocktails, Americans have become the bent-headed people of the handheld or laptop—gear that was supposed to be the mighty liberator but has turned into a wireless manacle. Which is why hotels are offering to lock up workaholics' BlackBerrys, companies are frog-marching people off on vacation whether they like it or not, resorts are springing up that offer an unplugged respite from the world of work, and doctors are starting to write prescriptions for—yes—vacations."

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_21/b4035088.htm

DFWIC
05-14-2007, 11:41 AM
That made me laugh -- because I'm about to go on vacation at the end of the month and was deciding if I wanted to take my lap top to check in at nights - or just to use my parents computer. The whole idea of not taking anything just didn't cross my mind.

I think I've been doing this for too long sometimes....:cool:

Ned
05-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey Marge, that's a good article from Business Week. I'm really surprised.

And worse, it's talking directly to me, the person who never leaves the laptop at home.

Later this year, we're going on a vacation for just under two weeks, during which there will be about 4.5 days with no Internet. NONE! One of the reasons we're taking this trip in December is that it is a slow time for me and my company. I still will be available in case of a major emergency, however, via ship to shore, although I've been told that for about 8 hours, that might be very shaky.

I've got to tell you that:

I really enjoy working and find it much more fun than laying on a beach somewhere, and
I feel much better and feel more relaxed when I can go out during the day, during which I won't have contact with the home or office, and come back in the evening and have contact.Without the contact there is no way I'd be relaxing anywhere. It just wouldn't happen.

I need my laptop for the photos anyway.

Thanks for the post Marge. I never would have seen the article otherwise.

Warning: this is from Business Week so you don't have to read it, Ned.:rolleyes:

"Even when managers do go away, they don't get away. Instead of mentally checking out in cabanas with cocktails, Americans have become the bent-headed people of the handheld or laptop—gear that was supposed to be the mighty liberator but has turned into a wireless manacle. Which is why hotels are offering to lock up workaholics' BlackBerrys, companies are frog-marching people off on vacation whether they like it or not, resorts are springing up that offer an unplugged respite from the world of work, and doctors are starting to write prescriptions for—yes—vacations."

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_21/b4035088.htm

jfrenaye
05-14-2007, 01:24 PM
There is something to be said about relaxing. I try to avoid contact (ok I take a cell) as much as possible, but I do like to log in and clear email and voicemail on my way home.

Bad enough that you have laundry to do when you get back, it sucks having to filter through all the voicemail / email crap.

bodega
05-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Ned, maybe this is also a contributing factor to your heart attack.

Ned
05-14-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't think so. I think it was genes (lots of heart problems in prior generations), and too high cholesterol for too long in my circulatory system.

I actually find work fun, and quite relaxing. If I'm not at work, I watch some TV here and there, read a lot, play tennis, referee or coach soccer, cook, watch a local sporting event, play soccer, work-out in the gym, ride my bicycle, roller blade, or volunteer, when I'm not traveling, or doing other things.

Virtually every work day finds me visiting clients, and/or working in my office on web sites or doing photography work (taking or manipulating photos), with a major break at the gym. I'm usually at the gym 6 days per week.

There are many people who really like to go to work, who find it challenging and fun.

I find resting on the beach, or things like that incredibly boring and aggravating, definitely not good for the heart.

My cardiologist knows me pretty well, and knows how much I work, how active I am, and says go for it, I'll live longer.

Stress vs. relaxation, in my opinion, is very different for each person.

Thanks for thinking of me B.

Ned, maybe this is also a contributing factor to your heart attack.

bodega
05-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Around here they call me Dr. Mom. I just want to make sure you are doing all you can to take care of yourself:)

Ned
05-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Well Doc, thanks again.

Around here they call me Dr. Mom. I just want to make sure you are doing all you can to take care of yourself:)