Routine:

1. The woman buys the food.

2. The woman makes the salad, prepares the vegetables, and makes
dessert.

3. The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray
along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to
the man who is lounging beside the grill ---beer in hand. Here comes the
important part:

4. THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.
More routine:

5. The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.

6. The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He
thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals
with the situation. Important again:

7. THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND CALLS THE WOMAN TO
COME GET IT. More routine:

8. The woman brings the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins and
sauces to the table.

9. After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.
And most important of all:

10. Everyone PRAISES THE MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.

11. The man later asks the woman how she enjoyed "her night off"
and, seeing her annoyance, concludes that there's just no pleasing some
women!

Happy BBQ Season to thoughtful men everywhere....

vacationagent
05-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Nicole - I couldn't help but notice that not a single man commented on this! And, of course, it's true! :lol:

deangreenhoe
05-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Nicole - I couldn't help but notice that not a single man commented on this! And, of course, it's true! :lol:

Not for all of us. :p

Annette
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
In my household I'm the BBQmeister. In fact tonight it's grilled chicken, asparagus and potatoes

wrp96
05-09-2007, 05:24 PM
In my household I'm the BBQmeister. In fact tonight it's grilled chicken, asparagus and potatoes

And what time do we need to be there for dinner?;)

deangreenhoe
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
I grill the year around, but with the weather so nice now, about every other night. I'm on a kabob kick recently. Don't get too close to the cook around here or you might end up skewered. :o

Ned
05-09-2007, 06:59 PM
We have a gas fired grill in the yard and like Dean grill all year round. We do mostly chicken and fish grills, with lots of grilled vegetables. It's great for people on "heart" diets; no grease.

tdew
05-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm on a kabob kick recently. :o
That's what my son thought he was ordering once - but it turned out to be a KEBAB Very different from what he expected.

Kairho
05-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Unfortunately, my smoker (I prefer smoking to grilling) has been relegated to the barn until we get this addition finished. Maybe only 2-3 weeks more.....

deangreenhoe
05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
We have a gas fired grill in the yard and like Dean grill all year round. We do mostly chicken and fish grills, with lots of grilled vegetables. It's great for people on "heart" diets; no grease.

That's one the primary reasons I've been grilling a lot this spring - I'm still on this stupid diet. Throwing a lot of veggies on the skewers helps to hide the fact I'm limited to 3oz of lean meat with each meal. Plus, they just taste darned good, even cubed chunks of potato that are nicely seasoned. I've also been soaking corn on the cob in the husks and just flinging that on the grill. It adds a nice flavor.

But I'm forcing myself to do the healthy thing when actually I crave a homemade rustic pizza tossed on there. Grilled pizza rocks.

Hey Ned, ever planked salmon? I'm thinking of giving that a shot.

Sunday will be evil. I'm hosting Mother's Day for the family and I have about 15 pounds of baby back ribs camped in the freezer that will have all of the relatives oinking when they hit the fire. :)

wrp96
05-09-2007, 09:22 PM
relatives oinking when they hit the fire. :)

Does anybody else see Deano's relatives laid out on the BBQ grill next to the hamburgers and hotdogs?

Ned
05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Indeed I have made planked salmon.

Here's my recipe for serving 4 people:

4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets, skinless
2 cedar planks, soaked in water for 4 to 6 hours
1/2 large lemon

Marinade:
1/2 c. soy sauce
1/2 c. water
1 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. vinegar (malt)
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

Crust Mixture:
1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
1/4 cup shallots, chopped
1 garlic cloves, chopped
1 green onions, chopped
1.5 tablespoons cracked black pepper
1 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 lemon, juice of

Directions:
Marinate the salmon by using the marinade generous coating the salmon for 1-3 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat grill to high.
Combine ingredients for crust mixture and spread generously over the flesh side (not skin side) of each fillet.
Season soaked cedar planks with sea salt, and place on grill.
Close lid and heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until they start to crackle and smoke.
Lift lid carefully and place salmon fillets on hot planks, skinned side down.
Close lid and bake planked salmon for 12 to 15 minutes for medium doneness.
Squeeze lemon over fillets.
Check periodically to ensure the planks are not on fire.
Use spray bottle to extinguish any flames.
Carefully remove planks from grill and transfer salmon to serving platter.
By the way Dean, I love grilled corn, when you throw it on the grill in the husks. We have a pretty big, 2 burner bbq grill in the yard, so we get good heat control. It's directly piped into the natural gas line that comes into the house, so we don't have to worry about filling a propane tank.

That's one the primary reasons I've been grilling a lot this spring - I'm still on this stupid diet. Throwing a lot of veggies on the skewers helps to hide the fact I'm limited to 3oz of lean meat with each meal. Plus, they just taste darned good, even cubed chunks of potato that are nicely seasoned. I've also been soaking corn on the cob in the husks and just flinging that on the grill. It adds a nice flavor.

But I'm forcing myself to do the healthy thing when actually I crave a homemade rustic pizza tossed on there. Grilled pizza rocks.

Sunday will be evil. I'm hosting Mother's Day for the family and I have about 15 pounds of baby back ribs camped in the freezer that will have all of the relatives oinking when they hit the fire. :)

deangreenhoe
05-09-2007, 09:58 PM
The planked salmon recipe is printing as I type this. Thanks, Ned. :)

I'm one of those folks who collects recipes in a nerdy three ring binder with the tabbed separators.

This thread makes me think we need a foodie section on this board. I really enjoy swapping recipes and technique with people from different regions. There's so much to learn from other's experience.

Ned
05-09-2007, 10:14 PM
You're more than welcome. I love to cook. My wife does most of the everyday cooking and I do most of the cooking when we have people over. I think the recipe sharing forum is a great idea.

I'm always ready to try new recipes, as long as it fits within my diet.

I've found you can eat well, while you eat healthy, and stay within ones allergies to boot.

The planked salmon recipe is printing as I type this. Thanks, Ned. :)

I'm one of those folks who collects recipes in a nerdy three ring binder with the tabbed separators.

This thread makes me think we need a foodie section on this board. I really enjoy swapping recipes and technique with people from different regions. There's so much to learn from other's experience.

mtp51
05-10-2007, 08:54 AM

Me too! I am SO tired of the 3 oz. chic. breast, 3 oz. tuna and the 3 oz. beef tenderloin! If I were to eat normally, the 3 oz. tenderloin would be about 2 and a half bites but I cut it into slivers - seems like it's more grub.
I'm dying for a cheeseburger but that will have to wait about 6 months.:(

vacationagent
05-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Ned - That recipe looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing - I can hardly wait to try this! :)

jjjenny
05-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Ned, I don't eat fish, but I'm sure my husband would love that recipe. I'm printing it out and will fix it for him.
I also think that sharing recipes is a great idea!

cole75
05-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm in too...

Oh Tripso Gods.. can you start it up? "Ode to Food" forum..

(in my avatar photo, that's me eating a lobster tail, freshly cooked in Jamaica! it was one of the largest lobsters that I've seen and eaten, mmm mmm good)

deangreenhoe
05-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Me too! I am SO tired of the 3 oz. chic. breast, 3 oz. tuna and the 3 oz. beef tenderloin! If I were to eat normally, the 3 oz. tenderloin would be about 2 and a half bites but I cut it into slivers - seems like it's more grub.
I'm dying for a cheeseburger but that will have to wait about 6 months.:(

Marge, depending on your mindset, you can have one of those cheeseburgers every now and then. I get one "get out of jail free" card per week, one meal where all bets are off. When I was doing a strict diet several years ago (more low-fat focused to lower cholesterol) my MD suggested that as a way to not make yourself feel deprived. As long as it doesn't make your general resolve waiver, a weekly modest splurge has negligible effect on your overall progress.

It works out fairly well for me and I'm already at the point where I actually sometimes forget to claim my "bad" meal. But knowing I can have it if I wish seems to keep the constant cravings at bay.

ARTraveler
05-18-2007, 03:58 PM

Let's compare recipe collections - I've been collecting for longer than I want to admit. I have a collection of weight watcher recipe handouts from meetings over the last three years that now is going to exceed three manilla folders (2 are organized) pretty soon. I don't want to consider the boxes of recipe books that are in the attic, the subscription recipe books I have quit, Mr Food website, anything yummy I have asked for the recipe, a small (3' x 4') bookcase in my kitchen, clips from magazines, newspapers, backs of jars, cans and boxes . . . . Is there a support group for me other than Weight Watchers? (and yes, I am well within my goal weight range!):rolleyes:

stacynan
05-18-2007, 04:17 PM
My favorite BBQ dish is Beer Can Chicken. Cooked on my husband's "Stick-em-Up" Chicken Holder. Yummy!

vacationagent
05-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Is there a support group for me

This made me laugh, ARTraveler! I'm a cookbook junkie, too. I have beautiful cookbooks, cookbooks where every recipe (that I've tried) is reliable, regional cookbooks, seasonal cookbooks, a substantial collection of Junior Leagues from the southeastern USA, Gourmet Cookbooks - I just love Sara Moulton - and 3 ring binders that I've made. I have some of my mother's cookbooks - including a 1950's era Betty Crocker cookbook. The only thing I use out of it is the recipe my mother used for popovers - it is fabulous - but, of course, I keep the book. I guess I need a support group, too! :)

Ned
05-19-2007, 07:45 AM
ART...come on over to the Foodies (http://www.tripso.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116) section. Let's compare and see some of those recipes of yours.

Let's compare recipe collections - I've been collecting for longer than I want to admit. I have a collection of weight watcher recipe handouts from meetings over the last three years that now is going to exceed three manilla folders (2 are organized) pretty soon. I don't want to consider the boxes of recipe books that are in the attic, the subscription recipe books I have quit, Mr Food website, anything yummy I have asked for the recipe, a small (3' x 4') bookcase in my kitchen, clips from magazines, newspapers, backs of jars, cans and boxes . . . . Is there a support group for me other than Weight Watchers? (and yes, I am well within my goal weight range!):rolleyes:

deangreenhoe
05-19-2007, 08:01 AM
I have some of my mother's cookbooks - including a 1950's era Betty Crocker cookbook. The only thing I use out of it is the recipe my mother used for popovers - it is fabulous.

Indeed it is and I use the same recipe, also from a vintage Betty Crocker cookbook. My mom was given that book in the 50s when she the won the "Future Homemaker of the Year" award during home ec in high school.

Well, she only won in her school, not the whole country, which is still considered a running family gag. You'd have to know my mom to understand. LOL.

My brother and I mowed through that cookbook when we were kids and you can still probably taste a few of our creations because there are a number of samples still stuck to the pages. :lol:

bodega
05-19-2007, 10:05 AM
My brother and I mowed through that cookbook when we were kids and you can still probably taste a few of our creations because there are a number of samples still stuck to the pages. :lol:
That is how I find my favorite recipe in one of my books. I just open it up and look for the 'messy' page. My mom has her Joy of Cooking from the 40's and I have my Betty Crocker cookbook that my mother-in-law gave me in 1972. I have adapted many of the recipes from BC and still refer to it for some of those old bone sticking winter meals.

ARTraveler
05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
ART...come on over to the Foodies (http://www.tripso.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116) section. Let's compare and see some of those recipes of yours.

You will definately see me in the foodies section. I'll get hubby to pick out the one he likes best to start.

I'm one to start with a recipe and then go off on my on creating spree. Some recipes I have only in my head - like cornbread. I've never measured, so I'd have a hard time telling anyone how much. I just pour cornmeal until it looks like enough, add a bit of flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt, an egg and enough milk to get it going. Grease a pan and stick it in the oven (around 375 or so) until it looks done. If I really get creative, I'll throw in a handful of shredded cheddar and maybe a bit more milk to make it mesh.

deangreenhoe
05-21-2007, 05:44 PM
A lot of my old standbys don't have a recipe since I learned them from my mother and even grandmother. Homemade egg noodles is a good example, one of those things you just have to throw together repeatedly before you get it right, adjusting measurements by look and texture. It's the same to a degree with various soups, stews, casseroles, breads and even poultry stuffing.

Now I'm so glad that my brother and I were paying attention, my nephew carrying on the tradition. My grandparents are now gone and my mom has Alzheimer's, but subsequent generations can now recreate the meals she loved and still continues to enjoy today since we can prepare them. It's a comforting way to keep family tradition alive. :)

tiredtravelagent2
06-06-2007, 12:17 AM

Deano maybe this will help. I love this recipe that I found on the Ohio State University Medical Center's website (and Ned it is heart friendly ;) ).

You could add a bite or two of turkey sausage to it perhaps if you need the "meat":

Grilled Vegetable Pizza with Feta and Spinach (http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/patientcare/hospitalsandservices/hospitals/rossheart/recipes/?ID=1424&i=0)

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, cru s h e d
1 (1-1/4 pound) eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/4 i nc h-thick slices
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
2 (10-inch) Quick-and-Easy Pizza Cru s t s
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups chopped plum tomato (about 8 tomatoes)
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese with basil and tomato
2 tablespoons thinly sliced spinach leaves
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Preparation:
Prepare grill. Combine 3 tablespoons vinegar and garlic in a small bowl; brush over both sides of eggplant slices.Sprinkle both sides of eggplant with pepper and salt. Place eggplant on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes per side or until tender. Remove from
grill; set aside.

Place 1 crust on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes or until puffy and golden. Turn crust, grill-mark side up; brush with 1 teaspoon oil.

Arrange half of eggplant slices over crust, overlapping slightly.

Top with half of tomato, cheese, and oregano.

Cover and grill 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated; remove from heat. Combine spinach mixture.
Repeat with remaining crust and toppings.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1/3 pizza).

S o u rce: Cooking Light, June 1997, page 130.
Nutritional Information per Serving: CALORIES 309 ( 27% from fat); FAT 9.2 g ( sat 3.5g, mono 3.8g, poly 0.9g);
PROTEIN 11.0g; CARB 47.1g; FIBER 3.5g; CHOL 17mg; IRON 4.1mg; SODIUM 794mg; CALC 166mg.

deangreenhoe
06-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the recipe - sounds good and like something I'd enjoy with those southern Med flavors going on.

And I'm a huge fan of doing pizza on the grill with a stone.