PDA

View Full Version : It's Nice to See This

trvlagt4u
04-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Russell Simmons is calling for three words used often in Hip-Hop and Rap music to be banned, and considered "extreme curse words". It's nice to see him doing something proactive, but isn't the horse already out of the barn??? Doesn't he make millions on this genre of music? Your thoughts.....

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=259845&GT1=7702

cole75
04-24-2007, 01:20 PM
a little too late in my opinion and it'll never happen. freedom of speech. you hear these words all the time on tv and movies. there are a lot worse curse words out there than just these 3 that he's chosen.

Ned
04-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Better late than never, I think the saying goes.

Freedom of speech doesn't really apply in this case. The recording companies can decide what kind of conduct they will permit within their company, and on records they produce and/or distribute. Therefore, if they wish to ban certain words, they can decide to do so.

Now the recording artists can go elsewhere if they want or produce and distribute themselves. They're free to use these "banned" words essentailly wherever and whenever they please, but that doesn't mean a company or individual has to participate in their commerce when they use these words.

So Clarke, what do you think? Am I right about this?

silver cloud
04-24-2007, 02:00 PM
I'd love to see those three words go. Heck, I'd like to see a few more go. But I'm not sure how you can stop it.

Kairho
04-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Freedom of speech doesn't really apply in this case.
Absolutely correct. It always need to be noted that Freedom of Speech, that is, the suppression thereof, applies only to government actions (and, I believe, Federal government). Similar to many other Freedoms in the Bill of Rights. They are also subject to subsequent legislation, too.

Thus, in Tripso as an example we can censor posts as necessary and not run afoul of the law.