PDA

View Full Version : What's Bugging You Today?

Kairho
03-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Things are annoying me today:

1. Talbot's new TV ads. Talbot's, the clothing retailer is running ads based on the old Mary Tyler Moore theme song, "Love is all Around."
Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
Heresy I say!

2. Automatic Gas Pumps ... which will not let you use the same credit card twice in a row! How annoying is that? Even the attendant cannot release it and you have to wait an hour or two before you can use the card at the same pump or, I'm told, even at the same station. So you end up having to use two different cards and lose airline miles OR have to go to a different station to continue filling.

You?

Annette
03-15-2007, 12:46 PM
People who place their shopping cart near the checkout, perhaps even in line at one point, and then go off to get other things. Happened to me this morning when I had to run out and pick something up. I saw a cart kind of closeby the checkout but there was no one even remotely close to it. There was 1 person in line, I lined up behind him with my 1 item and out of nowhere this woman comes rushing to the cart, dumps something into and glares at me because I've taken "her" spot in line.

bodega
03-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Going to a department store to purchase a gift off a couple's wedding list printed out at the store, only to find most items not in stock and being charged a shipping charge to get what I want to purchase. Happened to me yesterday.

British Airways and UA. See my post in the agent site.

Not a god week for my blood pressure!

Gesualdo
03-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Snack machines. In plain sight. Make them go away!

Gesualdo
03-15-2007, 02:23 PM
Going to a department store to purchase a gift off a couple's wedding list printed out at the store, only to find most items not in stock and being charged a shipping charge to get what I want to purchase. Happened to me yesterday.

British Airways and UA. See my post in the agent site.

Not a god week for my blood pressure!

Gift cards don't have shipping costs. I mean, if they're going to make it hard for you to buy a gift for them and all. Then you can enclose a nice picture of the item you were planning to buy with the money you used for the gift card. There you go...

Hope your blood pressure noses down.

jimtbay
03-15-2007, 02:28 PM
People who stop suddenly in the middle of a hallway or aisle. This happens at airports and grocery stores.

tdew
03-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Electrical adaptors that don't have any indication on them of what they came with! I think any product that is sold with an AC adaptor should be required to MARK it with the name of the product.

mtp51
03-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Once again, smelly seat mates. I had one last night RSW/MEM. Fortunately, a short flight but still odoriferous.
PS - I agree, K - the Talbot's ad is so lame....

Kairho
03-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Electrical adaptors that don't have any indication on them of what they came with! I think any product that is sold with an AC adaptor should be required to MARK it with the name of the product.
OMg this is so on the mark!!!!!

deangreenhoe
03-15-2007, 03:11 PM
1. People who shop at the supermarket with their cell phone in hand and discuss every damned purchase with someone at home using the walkie-talkie feature, screaming stuff like "how full is the box of Cheerios? Do we have a jar of Cheez-Whiz?"

Make a friggin' list! :mad:

2. People who slide into the self checkout express lane at the supermarket with well more than the allowable number of items, then stand there like idiots because they don't know how to use the system.

I guess I'm focused on food gathering today because I'm on a diet that's making me REALLY cranky. :cool:

Annette
03-15-2007, 03:13 PM

I finally decided to do something about this and bought one of those silver sharpies. Now whenever a product comes with one of those adapters I write what it's for right on it.

bodega
03-15-2007, 03:25 PM
This is a shower gift for my future daughter-in-law, so a gift card wasn't an option, but that would have been a good idea otherwise.

Talking about grocery shopping, this one annoys me-people who get into line at the grocery store and wait until all the items are rung up before getting their checkbook out to write the check.

tdew
03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
I finally decided to do something about this and bought one of those silver sharpies. Now whenever a product comes with one of those adapters I write what it's for right on it.

That's a good solution.
I've taken to using a piece of adhesive waterproof adhesive tape. Then I can write on it with whatever marker I have handy, but I still don't think we should have to do that - and I still have a good supply from before I started using the tape.
I also use the tape on anything I disconnect like wires for the video camera to computer and things that I don't use all that often.

jimtbay
03-15-2007, 05:02 PM
When traffic is not moving, but the car in front of you keeps changing lanes. They may think they are getting ahead.....

jjjenny
03-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm always in a hurry at the grocery store and I hate it when a person stands on one side of the aisle and has the buggy on the other side, blocking anyone from getting by.

silver cloud
03-16-2007, 07:27 AM
People who drive 35 in a 55 mph zone. I find they are usually driving a Buick. Which is why I HATE Buick's. Now i know some perfectly respectable people drive them (Tiger Woods) but the people I see crawling up the road appear clueless.

Dean - Yeah food is an issue with me right now as well. yow. :mad:

John225
03-16-2007, 07:52 AM
1) People who whine, constantly

2) The Social Security Administration

3) Wal-Mart

4) The commercials for the 2 local cancer hospitals

5) My next door neighbor, who, if I'm lucky, will cut his grass a total of 4 times this year

6) Gas prices going up a dime overnight

7) American Idol

8) The Army Corps of Engineers

9) FEMA

10) Oprah Winfrey

This is just my top 10 list. I could go on, but I think you get the idea. :mellow:

stephen_s
03-16-2007, 08:05 AM
The Biggest Pet Peeve that I have (at the risk of offending a lot of people) involve turn signals.

People who never use their turn signals and
People who merge into your lane (or from an on ramp) and don't use their turn signal, but when changing to the next lane uses their turn signal. What is it? Did they suddenly have a brain fart and realize they have to use their turn signals?

I've said this a million times. The automakers can save us thousands of dollars by not including the turn signals since 90% of the population (including a lot of policemen and policewomen) don't even know it's there or don't know how to use it.

Kairho
03-16-2007, 08:17 AM
John reminded me of one: those incessant commercials for prescription drugs for diseases people never knew they had. I just thought I was keeping time to the music but NO, that's restless leg syndrome.

Give me a break.

stacynan
03-16-2007, 08:19 AM
People who use their cellphones wherever they are. I was at the post office yesterday and they have a new sign posted "For courtesy of our staff and customers, cellphone use is limited to outer lobby only". No in-line conversations. Thank goodness! I hate hearing other people's conversation.

tdew
03-16-2007, 08:23 AM
John reminded me of one: those incessant commercials for prescription drugs for diseases people never knew they had. I just thought I was keeping time to the music but NO, that's restless leg syndrome.

Give me a break.

Or - the "ask you doctor if this (medication) is right for you. I don't think the drug companies should be selling to the public. Let them inform the doctors about their new products.

Kairho
03-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Or - the "ask you doctor if this (medication) is right for you. I don't think the drug companies should be selling to the public. Let them inform the doctors about their new products.
Bingo! ! !

susanliber
03-16-2007, 09:53 AM
good thing we all have a place to whine and ***** about such things...

DCTravelAgent
03-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Today I'm kind of upset that I forgot to wear green...

Ned
03-16-2007, 10:30 AM
I like the drug ads. I think it makes sense to tell the public about drugs which are out there. Then the public can ask relevant questions of the doctors about drug therapies which the doctor might have ignored to that point.

There was an ad for the relatively new shingles vacine which got me to ask my physician about it. My doctor, for whatever reason, had failed to mention it to me. He also didn't know that two of my aunts had suffered from the disease; mother father's mother's sister, and my mother's father's sister.

I'm getting the vacine at the end of next week.

Gesualdo
03-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Today I'm kind of upset that I forgot to wear green...

That's tomorrow.

Gesualdo
03-16-2007, 10:59 AM
People who drive 35 in a 55 mph zone. I find they are usually driving a Buick. Which is why I HATE Buick's. Now i know some perfectly respectable people drive them (Tiger Woods) but the people I see crawling up the road appear clueless.

Dean - Yeah food is an issue with me right now as well. yow. :mad:

Good thing you don't live where I live. I'm a recent transplant, which may be why I notice, but it amazes me how slow the people drive. The speed limit is already lower than it was where I came from, but I'm hard pressed to find anyone at all who will even meet that lower limit, much less exceed it! On the bright side, I've seen a rather large number of people pulled over for running past a school bus in full stop mode. I used to drive one. It's a big peeve for me.

And John225, there ARE NO good hospital commercials. My favorite lately is the local Catholic-affiliated monstrosity advertising their new equipment and "state-of-the-art" facility. I especially love the very comporary music, "The Hustle," being played as the background music. The real kicker is the group of scrub-garbed "dancers" with elbows and shirt tails flying at the end. Most of the time they're just sappy. Although in fairness, we do have one (slightly) smaller hospital in the area that actually puts out commercials that are (slightly) funny. They just bought out another hospital that was about to go under. I find myself rooting for them to take over just so the others' awful commercials will go away.

Ned
03-16-2007, 11:00 AM
I have one, which fortunately hasn't happened to me in a long time, but it happened today in the ugly freezing sleet and rain we're getting now.

I was so angry when I came back to my parked car, with a little time left on the meter, and saw the meter man already writing me a ticket, in anticipation that I won't make it back to the car before the meter ran out. The excuse was he wouldn't be back to that block for an hour or more and would probably have missed giving me a ticket, as I would be gone by them. He acknowledged that I didn't deserve it, (there were still 3 minutes left on the meter) but wouldn't tear it up. He said once they start a ticket, they have to issue the ticket. NONSENSE! IF THEY'RE WRONG, THEY'RE WRONG.

Now I have to go to parking court, and waste an hour or so, to get the ticket quashed. I'm going to send in a complaint. I took the guy's photo with my cell phone. He wanted to confiscate the phone. He said it was illegal to take his photo. I countered it was illegal for him to write me a ticket for an expired meter which wasn't expired. I took a photo of the ticket beside the meter which still showed a minute left. You can see in the meter number in the photo, and I had the time/date stamp option turned on for the photo. This guy needs to get a few days off, without pay. What a rip off.

Gesualdo
03-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I have one, which fortunately hasn't happened to me in a long time, but it happened today in the ugly freezing sleet and rain we're getting now.

I was so angry when I came back to my parked car, with a little time left on the meter, and saw the meter man already writing me a ticket, in anticipation that I won't make it back to the car before the meter ran out. The excuse was he wouldn't be back to that block for an hour or more and would probably have missed giving me a ticket, as I would be gone by them. He acknowledged that I didn't deserve it, (there were still 3 minutes left on the meter) but wouldn't tear it up. He said once they start a ticket, they have to issue the ticket. NONSENSE! IF THEY'RE WRONG, THEY'RE WRONG.

Now I have to go to parking court, and waste an hour or so, to get the ticket quashed. I'm going to send in a complaint. I took the guy's photo with my cell phone. He wanted to confiscate the phone. He said it was illegal to take his photo. I countered it was illegal for him to write me a ticket for an expired meter which wasn't expired. I took a photo of the ticket beside the meter which still showed a minute left. You can see in the meter number in the photo, and I had the time/date stamp option turned on for the photo. This guy needs to get a few days off, without pay. What a rip off.

Thank goodness for cell phone cameras. This is the best reason to have one. And, illegal to take his picture? BS. He's just trying to keep you from complaining about him to his supervisor and with a picture, he can't claim you don't have proof. Kudos to you for standing up to a bully.

susanliber
03-16-2007, 12:47 PM
That stinks Ned.....how can he justify giving the ticket when the meter wasn't expired? He only needed to wait a few more minutes in case you didn't show up to write the ticket. What was he is such a hurry for?

There were probably other tickets he could have been writing at the same time....

tdew
03-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Ned,

I can't wait to hear the final outcome on this one.
There's no question that the ticket should be done away with.
They should also pay for the time you have to put in to tell your story.

You should probably call the local news stations and send the story to the newspapers. The photos will make the story even better.

tdew
03-16-2007, 01:37 PM

I just caught this part - you mean you've had this happen before?

deangreenhoe
03-16-2007, 01:46 PM
If you see the meter cop again, Ned, ask him if he just transferred in from Grand Rapids, Michigan. We just lost one of our "finest" after he was given the boot for pocketing money from the meters. He swore he didn't do it...even after they played the surveillance video from a chain supermarket in his territory showing him hitting the Coin Star machine almost daily for two weeks with a big bag o' change.

It was a private citizen who noticed his odd behaviour and turned him in. If it's him, that may explain why he's so camera shy. :lol:

mtp51
03-16-2007, 01:49 PM
If you see the meter cop again, Ned, ask him if he just transferred in from Grand Rapids, Michigan. We just lost one of our "finest" after he was given the boot for pocketing money from the meters. He swore he didn't do it...even after they played the surveillance video from a chain supermarket in his territory showing him hitting the Coin Star machine almost daily for two weeks with a big bag o' change.

It was a private citizen who noticed his odd behaviour and turned him in. If it's him, that may explain why he's so camera shy. :lol:

Any relation to the Michigan tip jar guys??:)

deangreenhoe
03-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Any relation to the Michigan tip jar guys??:)

I think he's their union leader.

Ned
03-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Yes. It was the second time in Philadelphia. I've had it happen twice in NY and once in Washington, DC. I don't drive to NY or Wash. DC any more (I go to both often, but I take Amtrak now), so I don't know if they've cleaned up their act.

In Philadelphia, in a power play a few years ago, the state government, wrongly thinking the Philadelphia Parking Authority was flush with dough took it over from the City. They found out it didn't make much money soon after the takeover, and was badly in need of funds to repair and upgrade their parking garages. They would give the Authority back if they could figure out a way not to loose face. The PPA is quite corrupt, with no civil service employees. They're all patronage.

I just caught this part - you mean you've had this happen before?

tiredtravelagent2
03-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Those K-Y Jelly and Vagasil <sp?> commercials get on my nerves big time.

If you need those products, you know what they are and how to get them, you don't have to have it advertised all over the TV. Just like tampons, underwear, bras, midol, etc... :p

And why is it I never see commercials about "jock itch"? Come on!! Give me a break!! :eek:

susanliber
03-22-2007, 05:01 PM
I have one today....

All the neighborhood dog owners that think it is all right to let their pets do their business in the snow in front on my house - and on the sidewalk - because it is winter and they don't want to pick it up. With the rain and warmer weather, the snow is melting to reveal SEVERAL piles of "YOU KNOW WHAT" all over my front lawn.

So tomorrow, I - who does not own a dog, but loves them any way - will go out there with my snow shovel and a box to scoop up all the poop that is there. It must be a very large dog that is leaving its droppings too!!

(Sorry - but it was so bad today that as I came down the front stairs a while ago, the smell assaulted me...if it wasn't raining so hard I would have cleaned it up today.)

mercwyn
03-22-2007, 05:14 PM
I have one today....

All the neighborhood dog owners that think it is all right to let their pets do their business in the snow in front on my house - and on the sidewalk - because it is winter and they don't want to pick it up. With the rain and warmer weather, the snow is melting to reveal SEVERAL piles of "YOU KNOW WHAT" all over my front lawn.

So tomorrow, I - who does not own a dog, but loves them any way - will go out there with my snow shovel and a box to scoop up all the poop that is there. It must be a very large dog that is leaving its droppings too!!

(Sorry - but it was so bad today that as I came down the front stairs a while ago, the smell assaulted me...if it wasn't raining so hard I would have cleaned it up today.)

As a dog owner I must apologize on behalf of my irresponsible cohorts. I always make a point of cleaning up after my dogs, whether it is in the neighborhood or out on the trails.

Ned
03-22-2007, 05:25 PM
M., why apologize for their borish disgusting behavior and a lack of respect for the rest of us.

We too have a dog. Ours is a Lurcher (similar to a Whippet, another member of the Greyhound family). She's curbed, and we always pick up after her. She's also always on a leash when in public.

We have a park down the street which has become unusable by humans, because you can't step anywhere on the grass without stepping in "it!" Personally I won't apologize for those jerks. Instead, I regularly call the canine patrol so they can write $50 tickets on these people. They don't deserve canine companionship. They deserve to step in their own dogs crud. They are the scum of the earth, as far as I'm concerned, no better than the industrial polluters who do midnight dumping.

As a dog owner I must apologize on behalf of my irresponsible cohorts. I always make a point of cleaning up after my dogs, whether it is in the neighborhood or out on the trails.

bodega
03-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Susan, if you know where some of these dogs live, take a shovel full, ring the door bell and when the owners open the door drop the load right in front of the door and smash it with the back of the shovel, tell them they forgot something and walk away. When I lived in town I did this to one neighbor who always let her dog out in the morning and in the afternoon. It got her attention, especially since she had that awful astroturf covering her doorstep:D

When we lived in town we had a great dane that lived around the corner. OMG, when that dog used your front yard as his toliet, it was like having a small hill to clean up. I will never forget that dog nor his name which was Fonzy:(

Ned
03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
B., I have often thought about doing just that, but I just can't of course.

Susan, if you know where some of these dogs live, take a shovel full, ring the door bell and when the owners open the door drop the load right in front of the door and smash it with the back of the shovel, tell them they forgot something and walk away. When I lived in town I did this to one neighbor who always let her dog out in the morning and in the afternoon. It got her attention, especially since she had that awful astroturf covering her doorstep:D

When we lived in town we had a great dane that lived around the corner. OMG, when that dog used your front yard as his toliet, it was like having a small hill to clean up. I will never forget that dog nor his name which was Fonzy:(

CruiseExpert
03-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Okay, I'll bite. I'm sitting a stop light in the left turn lane. Some bozo drives by turning past me and says I should have bought an American Car. Like I don't feel bad enough already driving a Hyundai.

bodega
03-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Actaully Ned, I surprise myself with my action. However, I had 2 male dogs at the time and they stayed in our backyard, where I couldn't have a flower garden, as they would have used it like a fire hydrant. So I had a beautiful front yard, with lots and lots of flowers, along with a nice lawn. I had finally reached a point, like Susan, and took action on the dog's owner. It worked! I never did it with the owner of Fonzy since she rented, not mention it would have taken a dump truck to haul his load:o However, another neighbor turned the owner in to animal control and Fonzy's outings ended.

Ned
03-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Your example might give me enough guzumba to do it to. I'll let you know. I know I've got to at least talk to this neighbor who lets her dog drop a load in front of our gate at least 3-4 times a week.

Actaully Ned, I surprise myself with my action. However, I had 2 male dogs at the time and they stayed in our backyard, where I couldn't have a flower garden, as they would have used it like a fire hydrant. So I had a beautiful front yard, with lots and lots of flowers, along with a nice lawn. I had finally reached a point, like Susan, and took action on the dog's owner. It worked! I never did it with the owner of Fonzy since she rented, not mention it would have taken a dump truck to haul his load:o However, another neighbor turned the owner in to animal control and Fonzy's outings ended.

Kairho
03-23-2007, 07:24 AM
Agree completely with personal responsibility extending to pets. But it's more of a problem in cities than in the suburbs and more there than in the rural areas. In a place where there are leash laws that people actually comply with there should be a lot more enforcement.

Out here in the country dogs are not a problem at all as everyone has horses. But horse poop in the swales (and on the roads sometimes) is extremely common, not all that offensive and everyone participates.

stephen_s
03-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Okay, I'll bite. I'm sitting a stop light in the left turn lane. Some bozo drives by turning past me and says I should have bought an American Car. Like I don't feel bad enough already driving a Hyundai.

That's the thing with cars. Can you really call a foreign car "foreign" and American cars "American"?

Toyota and Nissan have factories in the US and the cars are assembled by American workers.

Ford (and probably Chevy) have factories in Mexico and Canada and their cars are assembled by Mexican and Canadian workers.

Sure the parts could be made abroad (in the case of Toyota and Nissan), but is it 100% foreign?

the dark knight
03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Stephen,
Not in this day and age. the line between foreign and domestic car is so blurred now, that those descriptions are really obsolete for today's vehicles.

Gesualdo
03-23-2007, 07:56 PM
That's the thing with cars. Can you really call a foreign car "foreign" and American cars "American"?

Toyota and Nissan have factories in the US and the cars are assembled by American workers.

Ford (and probably Chevy) have factories in Mexico and Canada and their cars are assembled by Mexican and Canadian workers.

Sure the parts could be made abroad (in the case of Toyota and Nissan), but is it 100% foreign?

This is very true. My so-called "American" car is manufactured in Canada by a German-owned company. I own a Dodge. My significant other has a Chevy that was manufactured in Mexico. Toyota has a pickup plant in San Antonio. You really don't know anymore.

Gesualdo
03-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Your example might give me enough guzumba to do it to. I'll let you know. I know I've got to at least talk to this neighbor who lets her dog drop a load in front of our gate at least 3-4 times a week.

You should. I wish I could, but I have no idea who they are (for the most part). Ever since I moved here, I have noticed a really large number of animals allowed to run loose in the area, and lots of stray cats. We are responsible dog owners with our two. We walk them on leashes and we pick up after them religiously. We walk them only in commonly shared areas in our neighborhood and while they get near other peoples' yards, they don't actually go into them. Since there are plenty of common areas, there is absolutely no reason for us to allow our dogs into peoples' yards. However, because we are responsible and walk with our dogs, people can readily identify us. So when some dog poops on their lawn, we get blamed. In the meantime, we have lots of doggie-bombs on our lawn as well, left behind by the neighborhood dogs left to wander around on their own. And we clean that up too. Like the rest of you. The first time I had to defend myself against accusation, I was NOT happy. I mean...how do you prove that???

CruiseExpert
03-23-2007, 08:34 PM
My so-called "American" car is manufactured in Canada by a German-owned company. I own a Dodge.
That's what "Mr. Buy American" was driving. PT Cruiser.

Gesualdo
03-24-2007, 12:22 PM
That's what "Mr. Buy American" was driving. PT Cruiser.

See? Next time, you can lean back out and say "you should buy American, too."