CDG
07-21-2005, 08:09 PM
At least five times in the last month I've seen mothers and fathers
changing their baby's dirty diapers right there on the seats in packed
gate waiting areas or in the aisle and seats of packed planes. Last
week, just before the boarding announcement a barebutted kid of about 2
is being changed on the floor and Mother is commenting to Dad how
little one has such wonderful, regular movements and is wiping off all
traces of the latest production right there for all of us to witness.
The stench of freshly deposited baby {Expletive Deleted}....yuck! And both the men's
and women's washrooms 20 feet away had changing stations. Why do
parents think other passengers find this cute? Airports and airlines
spend thousands of dollars to install diaper changing tables in the
restrooms (even the men's washrooms) and for what? Pisses me off. Anyone have a similar experience?

jfrenaye
07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I am so with you man! Foul!

missalf
07-22-2005, 06:27 AM
I saw something similar about a year ago, two year old child, mom changing her on the floor at the gate area. An elderly woman approached the child's mother while in mid change (This was a stinky load too) and asked if she wouldn't be more comfortable doing that in the Ladies restroom around the corner. She was extremely polite and couldn't have done it more nicely. Well Mom threw a fit, saying how people nowadays just don't care about children, and how she was tired of people who didn't have children, or who were TOO OLD TO REMEMBER what it was like to have children would just have to learn to accept them, etc, etc.

Everyone was stunned! But the elderly woman just stood there as this lady practically screamed at her and then said "That's all right, Dear, maybe you can take a nap on the plane, sounds like you're cranky" and toddled back to her (also) elderly husband, who congratulated her. So, I might add, did most of the people around her. Mom continued to grumble until boarding time about unreasonable people who don't have kids, etc. Husband of Mom just kind of shrunk down in his chair, and tried to disassociate himself from the situation.

The boarding gate agent who witnessed this had to let himself into the jetway so as not to laugh in the mom's face!

You Go Grandma!

tdew
07-22-2005, 08:20 AM
These things are taking place in some of the most inappropriate places!

I've done my share of changing babies in airports, gas stations, public rest rooms etc but the place that required the most crazy contortions was the airlplane bathroom. Still, I wouldn't have considered anyplace else if the task was necessary while inflight.

But then, I've also seen WHOLE families (obviously not local people) at Disneyworld change their pants (under and over) after getting wet on the log flume ride.

jfrenaye
07-22-2005, 08:24 AM
Not usre if most perople realize this or not but most aircraft lavatories have a fold down shelf. Usually it is over the toilet and folds down to make a shelf. A lot of times it blends in with the cabin wall.

Rumor has it that it is also good for induction into the Mile High Club :)

Jeanie821
07-22-2005, 11:16 AM
I have to agree with all of you. Eeeewwwww!!!!!

It seems that these days, every time you look for a restroom, you've got a really good shot of finding a changing table in the ladies' room. Sometimes you even find a changing table in the mens' room or, in its stead, a "family restroom". Most airlines, as Jfrenaye pointed out, also have installed changing tables in the lavatories. Really, there is no excuse for changing a baby's oonchie diaper in a public area!

Kind of gives new meaning to the phrase "dirty bomb"... :lol:

blakej
07-22-2005, 11:28 AM
I have been lucky and never witnessed this happening but certainly could understand how it happens. Mum traveling alone with baby and awaiting the boarding time suddenly smells a dirty baby. What does she do>? leave all her stuff which usually is quite a lot and go to the nearby ladies room to change baby or just do it there. You can guess the answer. It would be nice to be able to time babies for when you are arriving for a rest room stop but unfortunately that is not how babies are regulated. Most mums have a pad they lay baby on to change them and are as discreet as possible but there is always a bad apple I guess.

purpleeagl
07-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I have seen this countless times as well. It makes you wonder about the hygeine anywhere these days. I also wonder about the common sense that is lacking in some people. Is everyone just getting dumber?

07-22-2005, 01:40 PM
Gross! Are you really going to use the same shelf over the toilet that is covered with bacteria to join the mile high club? Nasty!

DCTravelAgent
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
I see this all the time in airports though not anywhere else. Also, none of these people seem to have those "changing pads" - I thought everyone got one at a Baby Shower! - so they're putting their infants on the filthy carpet/chair at The Gate on top of making the carpet/chair filthier!!!

Sorry, I don't get it.

G-d Bless that "Grandma"!

jfrenaye
07-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Well with this thread popping up, I saw this link in another post and felt that it fit right in!

http://www.tripso.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1299

Brandon
07-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Oh man, that's disgusting and rude. Reminds me of the time recently I was flying from LAX to BOS (pretty long flight). I was traveling on biz with a work colleage. My buddy and I were seated on the 2 seats and a family with 2 hellions were in the triple seat row in the middle. The family had an infant and a 2+ year old. Just after the breakfast service there was an obvious smell of poop followed by the 2 year old getting cranky.
After about half an hour of enduring the stench, Dad gets up and gets a clean diaper and wipes from the overhead bin and is standing in the aisle. My buddy says I bet they change their baby right there....I thought they would take baby to lav at the back..to make a long story short Mom changes diaper on bank of seats while Dad hands her the wipes and eventually after a long wiping process...the clean diaper. To top it off he tries and give the rolled up stink bomb to one of the Flight Attendants...unbelievable. The lavs had changing tables too! I have also seen this at the gate area countless times., and agree that the washroom was only 50 feet away max. I have not flown through a city lately that did not have a changing station in the men's rooms, so there is no excuse! :angry:

jfrenaye
07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey it could have been worse--HE could have changed the diaper bending over the armrest with his ass in your face.

There is a post here somewhere about people's butts in your face on a Continental flight.

Edit: Added the PDF file from Continental complaint. Very amusing!

Jeanie821
07-22-2005, 04:07 PM
I think it's the open letter to Continental Airlines - funny!

07-24-2005, 11:03 AM
I recently flew from FRA to EWR on LH and it was a living nightmare. I
ended up seated near the front of the Coach cabin in the middle,
surrounded by exhausted parents and unruly, unmanaged children,
screaming toddlers and wailing infants for 8+ hours. Parents were too
lazy to take their diaper clad kids to the lavs to change them and we
were subjected to the constant aromatic combination of baby crap and
wet wipes from the continuous flow of diaper changing all around me.
Ironic that the airline had changing tables in most of the lavs! Why oh why do
parents think changing poopy fannies in front of others is cute....It
was hell and disgusting.

Kim
07-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by jfrenaye@Jul 22 2005, 02:58 PM
Hey it could have been worse--HE could have changed the diaper bending over the armrest with his ass in your face.

There is a post here somewhere about people's butts in your face on a Continental flight.

Edit:* Added the PDF file from Continental complaint. Very amusing!

Kim
07-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Kim@Jul 24 2005, 02:56 PM

Blakej had it right. I've done my share of diaper changing and ALWAYS prefer to use the washroom, which DO NOT always have tables or places to do this, but I wind up laying my kid on the floor, when I've got the changing pad I use it (most of the time) but some kids squirm off them easily and the truth is, most experienced mothers after the kid is about 8 months or so can fold the diaper (or nappy) down under the kid so no "dirt" will be getting on the underlying floor anyway. As for changing by the gate, sometimes the nearest washroom is a good 15 minute walk from the gate, if they're calling the flight momentarily and since you have small children you need to board first and get children settled, and sometimes you may not be travelling with a partner. So do you load all your things, screaming children, maybe one dragged with one hand, your hand luggage with the other, bumping your hip against the stroller with infant, coats, etc. piled on top of baby, run off in search of washroom at other end of airport and hope you don't miss the flight or have to wait at the end of the long line and then attempt to stow your stroller underneath you or find all other passengers have taken up the precious one cargo hold you have to stow the all-important diaper bag? Or just lay baby on your lap or floor with stroller blocking in front of you and try to be as discreet as possible. Because you can't just say I'll wait until we take off, because in today's security climate, your next opportunity to change that will most likely be over an hour from just before they call the flight, since you can't get up from your seat for at least a half hour after takeoff, then you have to hope you can get a clear shot at the restroom with the fold-down table. Where, incidentally, I ALWAYS use a changing pad and leave the washroom spotless, as I think every passenger should. Gotta go change a nappy, no I'm not in an airport!

missalf
07-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Understood, Kim, there are instances where you have no choice but to change baby if mom (or dad) is travelling alone. However, what I've witnessed (probably five, perhaps six times) are mom AND dad both waiting at the gate area where there is no reason why one can't take baby and change same in the restroom (typically a very short walk from the gate). That would be the courteous option. However, the last instance I referenced in my prior post is more typical, with all the passengers left to enjoy the aroma in the surrounding area, and Mom giving everyone dirty looks and implying they're childhaters because we're not happy with her actions. I had three children, I'm not a child hater but I DO NOT feel that type of parental behaviour is appropriate when there are other options.

travelgirl2323
07-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Well this thread hit home for me -- I flew from Las Vegas to Detroit on Saturday and had the Grandparent from hell. I was flying with my two kids (9 and 5 -- not staying in Vegas -- visiting family -- don't want this to turn into a thread about kids in Vegas) and they are not angels -- but were VERY well behaved on this flight. The Granny sat behind us with little Johnny(probably 18 months) while sweet Janie (probably 8)got to sit in the row in front of us with the unaccompanied minor she had met at the gate and wanted to play with. Well it was an evening flight and little Johnnie didn't want to sleep and during his tantrums kept kicking the seat in front of him (my son's seat) and of course he was in a car seat so he could get full leg extension!
I finally turned around and asked Granny if she could try to calm him since my son was trying to sleep and I got a 'whatever' from her. During the flight she bragged to everyone within earshot that she had the kids because their mom was going to classes to be a flight attendant and they had flown out to visit with her. Well, about that time Johnnie decided it was time to relieve himself of his dinner and granny decided she wouldn't get up - just change him right there! Well after changing him she didn't want to disturb the passenger in the aisle seat so she left the diaper (yep, you guessed it) UNDER MY SEAT!!!
Now that is where the real fun comes in --- Sweet little Janie and her unaccompanied minor in front of use were playing gameboy and hootin and hollerin about who was killing who when they hit the flight attendant call button. When she comes over they say -- sweet as you please --- WE NEED COKES... the flight attendant just walked away to get them - while the passenger in the aisle across from these two lovely darlings says -- a Please would be nice when asking for something. These kids looked at her like she had horns sprouting out of her ears and just laughed at her!! Well the flight attendant made sure every 10-15 minutes she was refilling their Cokes. After about the sixth one I asked the flight attendant -- If I were an adult after six drinks I would be cut off -- when do the kids get cut off from the sugar?? She says and I quote -- Well, since the parents just dump them off we let them have whatever they want... This got a few raised eyebrows from nearby passengers. I told her alot of us were trying to get a few minutes of sleep since it was a 4hour flight and were arrived in Detroit at 11pm and she said she was doing her best (yeah -- by giving them more sugar than my kids see in a month!!!). When we arrived in Detroit the granny must have informed the flight attendant trainee mom - because they kept looking my way and laughing! I didn't care I was just happy to be home and off that flight!!Between the baby poop emitting from under my seat and the bouncing and screaming from in front of me I hope that mother going to flight attendant school gets her due on her first few flights... I would love to know when her inaugural flight is and let her know how wonderful her mother was on my flight and then let my kids just go wild on her!!!

CDG
07-25-2005, 01:42 PM
travelgirl2323,

Sorry to hear of your flight from hell. Did she just leave the stink bomb under the seat for the cleaners to pick up? I am sure the lav had a changing table too? Did the passenger say anything who was seated in the aisle next to granny and smelly? I would have been complaining or quickly gotten out of my seat until she took care of business! :blink:

travelgirl2323
07-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Not only did she leave the diaper under the seat for the crew to find -- she was one of those people that jump out of their seat as soon as the plane stops at the gate. She was hollering at her grandduaghter to get up and get off the plane and she would be right behind... (yeah right with a tired toddler and 60 lb car seat!!!)

the poor guy next to her was stuck -- the plane was full. He sat sideways - with his back to her the entire flight and nicley nodded when she said for the umpteenth time --
Did I tell you my daughter is in traning to be a flight attendant?? Ugh -- :blink:

Stephen Delroy
07-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by blakej@Jul 22 2005, 11:28 AM
I have been lucky and never witnessed this happening but certainly could understand how it happens.* Mum traveling alone with baby and awaiting the boarding time suddenly smells a dirty baby.* What does she do>?* leave all her stuff which usually is quite a lot and go to the nearby ladies room to change baby or just do it there.* You can guess the answer.* It would be nice to be able to time babies for when you are arriving for a rest room stop but unfortunately that is not how babies are regulated.* Most mums have a pad they lay baby on to change them and are as discreet as possible but there is always a bad apple I guess.

If Mom is traveling as the only adult with an infant, it isn't asking too much for her to PLAN how she can get to the restroom to do the diaper change. If this is asking too much - let her stay home or hire a nanny to travel with her.

Anonymous
07-28-2005, 10:41 PM
I was once eating in a restaurant when the people at the table next to me decided to change their baby's diaper. That's right -- a crowded mid-priced chain restaurant with restrooms with changing tables and these people have to change the baby's diaper right there on the table. I guess some people just don't have any sense. I've never been back to that restaurant (and I don't go to any of their other locations either).

CDG
07-29-2005, 09:25 AM
It's pure lazy parenting.

blakej
07-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Anonymous@Jul 28 2005, 10:41 PM
I was once eating in a restaurant when the people at the table next to me decided to change their baby's diaper.* That's right -- a crowded mid-priced chain restaurant with restrooms with changing tables and these people have to change the baby's diaper right there on the table.* I guess some people just don't have any sense.* I've never been back to that restaurant (and I don't go to any of their other locations either).

In reference to the above I feel you are wrong to penalise the restaurant for parents poor taste. You could have politely told the parents that there is a changing table in the washrooms. It is possible the waitress did not see the event and you could have stopped it in the bud. Some people do not think! :blink: :o

HockeyDude
07-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Recently flew from Vancouver to Montreal. I was seated in the 2nd row of the Economy class cabin and the bulkhead row remained empty until the very final minutes of boarding. Then a family of Mom, Dad, and 4 kids including twin boys that appeared about 2 sat in the first row.

On 3 occassions during the almost 5 hour flight, the mother and father changed their toddlers' wet and dirty diapers right there on the seats and in the aisle, during the meals service too! Needless to say, the stench was awful. Father tried to give one dirty diaper to a male FA who replied politely but firmly, "No, you'll need to dispose of that in the lavatory". I feel the Crew could do more but they were all busy serving drinks and meals to intervene. The diaper changing mixed in with screaming toddlers in meltdown mode for most of the flight was torture!! Both lavs had changing tables on this A320 plane...

suzie q
07-29-2005, 05:07 PM
sometimes it may be necessary to change baby "right there" (imagine getting mom two other kiddies and baby into the airplane facility)

however, surely baby and family can be moved to somewhere not quite as obvious. besides the baby mat, we used to always carry plastic grocery store bags. the bags can be put on the floor for baby to be put on, and it can hide the evidence (may take more than one for a wrap job)

but then again, we carry a plastic dog when we walk the dog . . .

Anonymous
07-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by blakej@Jul 29 2005, 11:34 AM
In reference to the above I feel you are wrong to penalise the restaurant for parents poor taste.** You could have politely told the parents that there is a changing table in the washrooms.* * It is possible the waitress did not see the event and you could have stopped it in the bud.* Some people do not think! :blink:* :o

I guess that I did not make it clear in my original post, but the penalization is not on purpose. Every time I think about going back, I become ill thinking about this incident. Furthermore, the service and quality at this chain of restaurants has been in decline for the last few years. It was too late for me to tell the parents anything -- the damage had already been done.

08-22-2005, 02:17 PM
As I was waiting to board my flight from San Jose to Boston last October, i watched 2 parents let their devil child run amok amongst waiting area, screaming, knocking stuff over, making general mayhem. I was thinking to myself " I feel sorry for the poor ******* that gets to sit next to that hitler youth".
We were all boarding and guess who sits RIGHT NEXT TO ME, but yes, Damian reincarnated. To make this short, and this is all true, the kid would not sit still, the impotent parents sat and tried to passify the uncreasingly difficult beast-child, then it happened, the plane was taxiing and the kid craps his diaper. Stink can only mildy descibe the acidy, putrid, spoiled enfamil stench emanating from the devil shortie. (I am next to the window, w/ no excape, and no available seats due to over-booking-THANKS UNITED!)
Impotent hillbilly parents decide to change brats diaper IN THE SEAT. Of course, w/me about 26.5 inches from the "eye o the storm".
More stink, more screaming and kicking of devil-child, and guess what? On one of the 3,000 kicks, the little ******* kicks a glob of his stinky poo right onto my left leg. Mommydummest only can say "oops" and wipes the gooey, stinky brown blob from my pants leaving a dark smelly blotch on my Levi's. I think "I can cut my leg off".
After getting *******-child back in clean ass cover and pants, he sits up, looks directly at Mummydummest, then me and horks up a nice clumpy whitesh squishy barf. Unfortunately, Mummydummest and Papadummer can only start to dry heave, making me join in in this queer family-like gathering. The stewerdess was very sympathetic, but not helpful. She wouldn't open the emergency exit and let me die a quick death.
When I arrived in Chicago, I asked the clerk to MAKE sure I was not next to a child. I also sent a long letter to the complaint department, they apologized and sent me a virtually worthless comp ticket. Moral- Dn't let stupid people breed, don't fly United.

AaronK
08-22-2005, 02:47 PM
If you want to be guaranteed not to sit next to a kid, ask for the emergency exit row. By law, people under the age of 15 cannot sit there.

However, these seats can usually be assigned at check in.

Jeanie821
08-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Aug 22 2005, 02:17 PM
As I was waiting to board my flight from San Jose to Boston last October, i watched 2 parents let their devil child run amok amongst waiting area, screaming, knocking stuff over, making general mayhem. I was thinking to myself " I feel sorry for the poor ******* that gets to sit next to that hitler youth".
We were all boarding and guess who sits RIGHT NEXT TO ME, but yes, Damian reincarnated. To make this short, and this is all true, the kid would not sit still, the impotent parents sat and tried to passify the uncreasingly difficult beast-child, then it happened, the plane was taxiing and the kid craps his diaper. Stink can only mildy descibe the acidy, putrid, spoiled enfamil stench emanating from the devil shortie. (I am next to the window, w/ no excape, and no available seats due to over-booking-THANKS UNITED!)
Impotent hillbilly parents decide to change brats diaper IN THE SEAT. Of course, w/me about 26.5 inches from the "eye o the storm".
More stink, more screaming and kicking of devil-child, and guess what? On one of the 3,000 kicks, the little ******* kicks a glob of his stinky poo right onto my left leg. Mommydummest only can say "oops" and wipes the gooey, stinky brown blob from my pants leaving a dark smelly blotch on my Levi's. I think "I can cut my leg off".
After getting *******-child back in clean ass cover and pants, he sits up, looks directly at Mummydummest, then me and horks up a nice clumpy whitesh squishy barf. Unfortunately, Mummydummest and Papadummer can only start to dry heave, making me join in in this queer family-like gathering. The stewerdess was very sympathetic, but not helpful. She wouldn't open the emergency exit and let me die a quick death.
When I arrived in Chicago, I asked the clerk to MAKE sure I was not next to a child. I also sent a long letter to the complaint department, they apologized and sent me a virtually worthless comp ticket. Moral- Dn't let stupid people breed, don't fly United.

Gross... but you seem to have a very good sense of humor about the whole mess (literally!) I just hope my nephew, now 21 months, never does anything like that - but then again, his parents have their heads screwed on correctly, thank goodness.

missalf
08-22-2005, 08:43 PM
We were all boarding and guess who sits RIGHT NEXT TO ME, but yes, Damian reincarnated. To make this short, and this is all true, the kid would not sit still, the impotent parents sat and tried to passify the uncreasingly difficult beast-child, then it happened, the plane was taxiing and the kid craps his diaper. Stink can only mildy descibe the acidy, putrid, spoiled enfamil stench emanating from the devil shortie. (I am next to the window, w/ no excape, and no available seats due to over-booking-THANKS UNITED!) Impotent hillbilly parents decide to change brats diaper IN THE SEAT. Of course, w/me about 26.5 inches from the "eye o the storm".

eeeewwwwww! A seat in that type of location makes you wonder if you can just hog the bathroom for the rest of the flight so you don't have to return to those conditions!

modgirl
08-23-2005, 07:21 PM
IF there were no changing facilities in the onboard plane, I would side with the parents in changing at the seat. However, I've never been onboard an aircraft that did not have a very convenient folding table for changing diapers!

Since there are diaper changing facilities available, there is absolutely no reason (other than pure selfishness) to change diapers in the same area where people eat their food.

In fact, I'd argue that changing a diaper in the seat is very highly unsanitary and a hazard to other passengers.

tdew
08-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Even before there were pull down changing tables, I've changed babies in the bathrooms on the plane. There's no qestion that it's a challenge, but it can be done.

OtherSide
08-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Couldn't help noticing the stories about changing diapers on two-year-olds. A child that age should be toilet trained. You'd think parents would want to make it easier on themselves and stop the diaper routine by the time the child is two. I sure did.

Kairho
08-26-2005, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by OtherSide@Aug 25 2005, 11:32 PM
Couldn't help noticing the stories about changing diapers on two-year-olds. A child that age should be toilet trained. You'd think parents would want to make it easier on themselves and stop the diaper routine by the time the child is two. I sure did.

According to familydoctor.org, one can start the training when the child is ready, "This usually occurs when a child is 18 to 24 months of age. However, it is not uncommon for a child to still be in diapers at 2 and a half to 3 years of age."

It sounds prudent, then, that a child of 2 be in diapers on a plane. Accidents do happen, especially in an alien environment.

It's still disgusting, though...

Traveller mom
09-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi,
I used to be offended by such occurences as well until I had to start travelling with small children-- while it seems like airports SHOULD be equipt with changing tables, etc... often they are NOT!! Have you been to the C Concourse in Chicago O'Hare???? No changing tables at any restrooms at the end of the terminals which means you would have to schlepp the baby all the way to the terminal entrance from any of the end gates. Changing tables in aircraft... oh yes they're there but have you tried to place a child over 6 months on one? Not possible!! Yes, people should use more common sense and courtesy when changing diapers (use a pad in secluded area of the airport perhaps), but FYI... it's not always as easy as it seems it should be. Regarding the comment about the mile high club: I definitely don't want to change my baby on the airplane changing table after reading that... yikes.

Originally posted by jfrenaye@Jul 22 2005, 02:06 PM
Well with this thread popping up, I saw this link in another post and felt that it fit right in!

http://www.tripso.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1299

Jeanie821
09-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by travelgirl2323@Jul 25 2005, 03:52 PM
Not only did she leave the diaper under the seat for the crew to find -- she was one of those people that jump out of their seat as soon as the plane stops at the gate.* She was hollering at her grandduaghter to get up and get off the plane and she would be right behind... (yeah right with a tired toddler and 60 lb car seat!!!)

the poor guy next to her was stuck -- the plane was full. He sat sideways - with his back to her the entire flight and nicley nodded when she said for the umpteenth time --
Did I tell you my daughter is in traning to be a flight attendant??* Ugh --* :blink:

Ah, noise-cancelling headphones are a wonderful thing!

Another tactic, which I found out about by accident - whip out a Bible and start reading. I guarantee you, everyone will avoid starting conversation with the "religious fanatic".

How do I know? I am the "religious fanatic".

REDJIM
09-06-2005, 04:46 PM
If the child was two years old, and still in diapers, the parents are dealing with a physical or mental issue with their babe. Have some compassion here!

unspoken
09-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by REDJIM@Sep 6 2005, 04:46 PM
If the child was two years old, and still in diapers, the parents are dealing with a physical or mental issue with their babe. Have some compassion here!

Thank you, this is what I was going to comment on. Not all screaming children and children over the age of 2 who are in diapers are results of bad or neglectful parents. That is very offensive to me to hear ppl say that screaming kids and or children who are older and still in diapers are the result of bad parentling. You may not be aware of what issues that child may have. My adopted darling who just turned 3 looks completely normal but in fact he is severly delayed physically and mentally. He is mildly autisic, with sensory processing issues and at 3 mentally is developing at a rate about have his age but seeing him he is big for his age and could pass for an older child. He has outburst of uncontrollable fits from time to time due to his diabilities. It is neither my fault nor his.

Now, i would go out of my way to change him if needed in the proper facilities but as another poster mentioned that is not always possible depending on the circumstances and ammenities. There are time where he can behave very well and be soothed easily and others that nothing on this earth would help to calm him down. That is just how life is with him and the best thing we can do is be patient and talk with him in a soothing manner until he can calm himself.

I havent traveled with him yet but know there will come a time where I will have to. It isnt always possible to drive everywhere. And, we should not be barred from travelling by air if the situation arrises. Yes, as a parent I do get embarrassed when his outbursts occur in a public situation. Yes, I do everything possible to make travelling whether it be to the store or accross country as comfortable for myself, my child and those travelling with me. Should I be judged...NO! Should he be judged...NO!

Now, I admit I have been guilty of getting irritated with parents and children during flights. This was before I was a parent myself. Now that I am a parent of a special needs child at that, I have more compassion and patience with other parents and children.

Now, I agree that there are many situations where the parents are at fault for the childrens behavior but that is not my place to judge who and why because you just never know what is truly the situation unless you walk in the other persons shoes.

candyharrington
09-16-2005, 09:53 PM
God knows I can empathize with parents (been there, done that), but I do think that they need to have some courtesy for others. Not every passenger thinks their kids dirty diaper is cute.

This from a flight I took last week.

We were on Air Canada and seated next to a mom who had a lap baby but was pissed she didn't get a seat for it. (she did not pay for a seat).

OK, so they serve the meal (yes a real meal) and apparently this is the time that idiot-mom decides she wants to change baby. The FA sees what is about to happen and scrunches by the trolley and says "Mam, you need to go to the washroom to do that." It all happened so quickly, but in a matter of seconds mom had the poopy diaper wadded up and in the FAs hands.

It was gross. Really gross. That baby really left a good load.

FA came around for drink service and said to hubby and me, "I'd be pleased to serve you some wine or a mixed drink on the house," to us. To mom, who asked for wine, she said, “That will be $5.”

I kind of felt sorry for the FA. She had an equally bad day.

I still get pissed at parents. Yes there are accidents and emergencies (and I totally understand that -- we all have them) but the gal seated next to us could have walked back to the washroom. That is just common courtesy.

OK, done with rant.

Candy

bluefin
09-18-2005, 12:07 AM
well its really very disgusting
these people should not be travelling in the plane anymore
if they dont have basic civic sense then they better stay at home
i am with you