PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling a Credit Card Account

REDJIM
02-04-2007, 08:39 AM
This posting can't compare with "T.R.A.M.P claims..." thread.

But here goes.

We recently zeroed out a bank credit card account and now I want to close it completely.

Bad memories remain with me from the last time I did something like this years ago (about a 40 minute phone ordeal--my hand cramped during the "transaction" and I must have sounded like a fool for about 15 seconds).

Any advice and instruction from the sages of Tripso, here? Thank you.

AaronK
02-04-2007, 09:01 AM
I just canceled an credit card account myself, was off the phone in under 10 minutes.

Granted, the reason I was canceling the account was solely due to the fact that they got bought out by a bank that I no longer wish to do business with, so no amount of "begging" was able to get me to change my mind.

Ned
02-04-2007, 09:02 AM
RJ, I don't know what happened to you when you cancelled the card account last time, or how long ago it was, but in the last few years most states have substantially changed laws on credit cards, and it should be easier now.

I cancelled a credit card account about 3 years ago, and it took about 10 minutes on the phone. Most of the time taken for the cancellation was verifying that it was actually me on the phone.

The agent was going to go through the litany of why I shouldn't cancel, but I short-circuited her, and she complied.

My advice is that when you call, keep the agent on the straight and narrow path of doing only what is necessary to cancel the account. Keep the agent away from the sales pitch.

This posting can't compare with "T.R.A.M.P claims..." thread.

But here goes.

We recently zeroed out a bank credit card account and now I want to close it completely.

Bad memories remain with me from the last time I did something like this years ago (about a 40 minute phone ordeal--my hand cramped during the "transaction" and I must have sounded like a fool for about 15 seconds).

Any advice and instruction from the sages of Tripso, here? Thank you.

jfrenaye
02-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Agree just stick to your mission.

Ever try to cancel an AOL account?

AaronK
02-04-2007, 09:31 AM
The only effective way to cancel an AOL account is to actually cancel your credit card.....

Ned
02-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Now you're talking John. I know someone who had tried to cancel an AOL account where the AOL agent refused to do it and hung up the phone. He then had his attorney (his brother) make the call and they refused to speak to him. Finally he called back and endured the hour it took. Supposedly they allow you to cancel easily now.

REDJIM
02-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks, all. You helped me get over my dread.

tdew
02-04-2007, 10:18 AM
You probably don't want to try to cancel a cell phone acct on the same day though.

lamott2k
02-04-2007, 11:15 AM

I'm sure you guys had to have seen this. http://youtube.com/watch?v=xmpDSBAh6RY

In 2004 AOL screwed me the same way with cancelling. I used to pay Anually; $215. I called them to cancel 4 months before the end of my contract. Giving them the heads up that I won't want my contract renewed after it ran out. At the time broadband was taking off so I didn't need them to connect. They claimed they agreed & sent me a letter (that I had requested) confirming this.

Cut to 6 months later (it was then two months after I assumed my account ran out) and I decided as a goof to attempt to sign on, thinking of course that I would be denied. Then I hear "WELCOME!!, YOU'VE GOT MAIL!!" Huh? how is this possible?. I called AOL right away & they had claimed that since I signed on, this means the contract is back up...what?. Major B.S. of course so I mentioned to them the details of the last call & the letter which I had in my hand stating that. They then say they'll cancel but then tell me to not attempt to log on again to AOL.

About a month & a half pass & I notice a deduction of $215 from my account. By this point I was ready to go buy a hunting rifle & handle it like a postal worker. I call them & they said they were sorry for charging me, but since I did sign on that ONE TIME they could only refund $115. I called a lawyer friend of mine & told him about it. He then wanted me to conference them in to resolve it. ONLY AFTER THREATENING TO SUE, did they refund me the full cost and right after that very call was complete I had attempted to sign on again, this time with my hand on the front door as I was ready to run out & beat them senseless if I was able to log on. Suddenly, denied. So they're on/off switches do work & all was right with the world, finally. F*** AOL, I'm glad their stock is in the tank & they're offering it free like anyone cares. They really need to just vanish already.