PDA

View Full Version : TripAdvisor's Travelers' Choice Awards 2006

mtp51
01-18-2007, 08:00 AM
I love the list of the 10 dirtiest hotels. I'm sure that list could be expanded. :)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/travelerschoice

DCTravelAgent
01-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Okay - I'm definitely missing something here......

deangreenhoe
01-18-2007, 09:03 AM

Yeah, I did too. In order to get the list you have to submit your email address. I gave them one of my garbage addresses (thus avoiding spam attacks), then forwarded it to my real email address, then waited a very long time (even on super high speed radio wireless access) for the list to download...

...and then they didn't even have the dirtiest hotels listed, which is what I was most interested in. :lol:

You have to go to tripadvisor.com and really dig to find the dirty hotel list.

I did read the entire "top" list (and it's huge) but I'm afraid I had to shake my head at some of the choices. It's pretty obvious that a lot of inexperienced travelers were doing the voting and reinforces my bad attitude about the reliability of Trip Advisor.

Or maybe I'm just a grump? :rolleyes:

Arizona Road Warrior
01-18-2007, 09:33 AM
I did read the entire "top" list (and it's huge) but I'm afraid I had to shake my head at some of the choices. It's pretty obvious that a lot of inexperienced travelers were doing the voting and reinforces my bad attitude about the reliability of Trip Advisor.

Or maybe I'm just a grump? :rolleyes:

It comes down to standards. There are individuals that are perfectly content to allow hotels, airlines, cruise lines, rental car companies, tour operators, and etc. to abuse them with poor services. Also, there are individuals that are perfectly content to justify poor services with “This is (insert the country that you are traveling to, hotel, airline, city, etc); so this must be the best that they can offer” rationale. My wife and I don’t fall into these categories.

In regards to TripAdvisor, I use the site to review hotels that I might stay at when there isn’t a Marriott brand hotel available in the area. As I have posted some hotel reviews. It amazes me how some people will accept poor conditions or services.

mtp51
01-18-2007, 09:37 AM
As soon as I submitted my email address, I had an access email from them with 2 min. :mellow:

deangreenhoe
01-18-2007, 09:55 AM
It comes down to standards. There are individuals that are perfectly content to allow hotels, airlines, cruise lines, rental car companies, tour operators, and etc. to abuse them with poor services.

I guess that's most noticeable in the "best luxury hotel/resort" category when broken down by destination. More than once I just went, "huh?"

I'll rely on TripAdvisor for details about hard facts, but certainly not opinions about ambiance, service or quality since those things are subjective and too many posters just have an axe to grind, or on the flip side, brag in an unrealistic manner.

Sometimes the reviews are good for a laugh, though. ;)

DCTravelAgent
01-18-2007, 12:53 PM
10 Dirtiest Hotels in the U.S.

Tropicana Resort Hotel, Virginia Beach, Vir.
Hotel Carter, New York, N.Y.
Days Inn Downtown/Port, Miami Fla.
Budget Inn, Knoxville, Tenn.
Red Carpet Inn, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
New York Inn, New York, N.Y.
Poindexter Ocean Front Resort, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Days Inn, Lancaster, Penn.
Ramada Inn Miami Airport North, Miami, Fla.
Sea Club Resort, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
"Last year, five of the dirtiest hotels were in New York City but this year, the Miami/Fort Lauderdale region leads the country in filthy hotels, with four properties on the top 10 list," said Perry. The title of the most recent review posted on TripAdvisor for the dirtiest hotel in the U.S., Virginia Beach's Tropicana Resort and Spa, was, "VA Beach's most vile place-ever!!!!!!!!!!!"

JBM
01-18-2007, 01:46 PM
In booking a hotel for my trip to Atlanta next week for some software training, the corporate rates for all of the hotels on the recommended list have gone up about $15 as of Jan 1. For some of the hotels, that worked out to a 20% increase. It's still cheaper than their standard rate, but it makes me wonder if their standard rate went up proportionally as well.

Part of it may be that the Atlanta suburbs are booming, and if the hotels are experiencing fewer vacancies, they don't have to be as generous with corporate rates. Maybe it's also getting harder to find good cleaning staff, so rates are going up to keep up with the labor demand? Property tax may also be an issue.

deangreenhoe
01-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Hotel prices are skyrocketing across the board everywhere. It's the economy of supply and demand rather than location. Negotiated corporate rates are getting more difficult to obtain and deep discounts for individual travelers are becoming less favorable as well.

Arizona Road Warrior
02-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Hotel prices are skyrocketing across the board everywhere. It's the economy of supply and demand rather than location. Negotiated corporate rates are getting more difficult to obtain and deep discounts for individual travelers are becoming less favorable as well.

I noticed that trend last year. Since I typically travel to the same cities, I usually stay at the same hotels. For example: Fairfield Inn - $ 72 to $ 125; SpringHill Suites - $ 85 to $ 125; Courtyard by Marriott - $ 99 to $ 140. In the southern CA market, it is now very common to pay $ 180 to $ 200+ a night for a room at the Courtyard by Marriott.

DCTravelAgent
02-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Hey everyone - hotels are paying more to heat/cool/cook, etc....... Thus rates go up.

vacationagent
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
It's pretty obvious that a lot of inexperienced travelers were doing the voting and reinforces my bad attitude about the reliability of Trip Advisor.

Ditto, Deano. I have big issues with the reliability of something as subjective as a hotel review when it is coming from an inexperienced traveler. I always tell my clients to stay away from Trip Advisor. Or to consider it like they would a restaurant review from the next door neighbor whose idea of a fine dining experience is when it doesn't involve a drive-in window.

Ned
02-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Dean, VA, I concur. I find most of Trip Advisor's reviews and ratings close to worthless. Everyone once in a while, I take a peek, and see if things have improved. In my opinion, they haven't.

By the way, on restaurant reviews, I find Zagat pretty good, although on any given night...

I'm a pretty steady reviewer at Zagat, and so read quite a few too. I find that most reviews of the restaurants I've eaten at, and reviewed, aren't all that far from my reviews. I guess the others are pretty smart, eh? :lol:

Ditto, Deano. I have big issues with the reliability of something as subjective as a hotel review when it is coming from an inexperienced traveler. I always tell my clients to stay away from Trip Advisor. Or to consider it like they would a restaurant review from the next door neighbor whose idea of a fine dining experience is when it doesn't involve a drive-in window.

deangreenhoe
02-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm a pretty steady reviewer at Zagat, and so read quite a few too. I find that most reviews of the restaurants I've eaten at, and reviewed, aren't all that far from my reviews. :lol:

Ned, Zagat is a whole different animal. I'm a subscriber as well (have been forever), rely on it and I haven't ever been overly disappointed. Maybe they only get more serious members/foodies because one usually pays to be a member? I'm not 100% sure about how the process works, but I suspect there's some sort of quality control there AFA content.

TripAdvisor is just "out there" and is crawling with wanna-be reviewer trolls who many times do not have the comparative experience to express a worthwhile opinion. I honestly have to grit my teeth when I recommend a selection of hotels/resorts to clients only to have them come back later with "well, TripAdvisor says..." :cool:

Basically Zagat has a an entirely more experienced and sophisticated audience.

Ned
02-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Dean, you're right that Zagat is a different animal. As you said, most of the difference is because you've got to pay an annual fee of $25 for full access for a year. Many people like me, pay as much as $55 per year, to subscribe to the regular Zagat, plus Zagat-To-Go for their PDA.

I have Zagat on my Treo. I get all the reviews you get on the computer in my Treo, plus when traveling, I can get a map of where the restaurant is, and full directions to get there. That's really neat.

There is definitely a review process at Zagat. The main reviews are written by Zagat, and are an amalgam of what Zagat considers are the most accurate reports of the reviewers. I have been quoted numerous times there. I believe they also don't permit reviews to show which have definite inaccuracies. It takes 24 hours after a review is submitted for it to show up. I've thought about putting in a nonsense review to see what happens, but don't want to hurt my credibility with Zagat.

Ned, Zagat is a whole different animal. I'm a subscriber as well (have been forever), rely on it and I haven't ever been overly disappointed. Maybe they only get more serious members/foodies because one usually pays to be a member? I'm not 100% sure about how the process works, but I suspect there's some sort of quality control there AFA content.

TripAdvisor is just "out there" and is crawling with wanna-be reviewer trolls who many times do not have the comparative experience to express a worthwhile opinion. I honestly have to grit my teeth when I recommend a selection of hotels/resorts to clients only to have them come back later with "well, TripAdvisor says..." :cool:

Basically Zagat has a an entirely more experienced and sophisticated audience.

DCTravelAgent
02-20-2007, 10:55 AM
I do look at TripAdvisor's reviews - what it is helpful for is spotting "trends". For instance, you'll see glowing reviews on a particular resort for months and then suddenly s spate of negative - but it's always about the same issues. To me, this makes me wonder whether there's been a Management change or something more sinister has happened. I actually do sometimes send clients to look at it - but I tell them to read between the lines. I usually don't send them there until after they are pretty much sold on a particular property but also by that time I've read the reviews and I am prepared to overcome objections. Sometimes I'll use it because they seem really stuck on a property that I know they should not go to - I'll check the reviews and if they are sufficiently negative, I send the client right there...............:lol:

ARTraveler
02-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I too have looked at Trip Advisor and question most of what I find there. I saw two different reviews of a Cabo property I know pretty well. Both sets of clients were there about the same time and to say the reviews were well, night and day in difference. One couldn't say enough good things, the other couldn't say enough bad. Makes one wonder!

Arizona Road Warrior
02-23-2007, 06:54 PM
I too have looked at Trip Advisor and question most of what I find there. I saw two different reviews of a Cabo property I know pretty well. Both sets of clients were there about the same time and to say the reviews were well, night and day in difference. One couldn't say enough good things, the other couldn't say enough bad. Makes one wonder!

This week, I stayed at a Sheraton Suites. The reviews on Trip Advisor were polarized...5 stars or 1 star...nothing in between. I was there for four days and three nights and I thought that hotel was outstanding.

tdew
02-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I find Trip Advisor type sites to be helpful, but you have to remember that there are some people who will never be satisfied, some who think that if you are writing a review you HAVE to find something wrong as well as the fact that different people have different expectations.

I've usually pretty much decided on a place before I read the reviews, but I do like to see what others are saying about it.

AaronK
02-24-2007, 06:28 AM
I just checked TripAdvisor for a hotel I'll be staying in next week in Warsaw, NC. I'll let everyone know if my experience matches up with the one review.

As an aside, if anyone knows of any decent eating establishments in the Warsaw, Kenansville area, I'm open to them. My mapping programs tell me that my best options may be a McDonalds.

rconpascua
04-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Those hotels are pretty nasty. I experienced staying in a cheap and untidy inn when I went to Africa one time. But when I visited the Marrakech in Morocco, I was surprised that the accommodations in Marrakech are excellent.