PDA

View Full Version : Airlines Customer Service

jfrenaye
07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by markterry@Jul 15 2005, 08:37 PM
Okay, let's hear which airlines are doing the wrong things.* And let's let those airlines know about it -- the only way they are going to improve is to hear about it when the customer is unhappy.* Unfortunately, a lot of airlines don't make it clear about the fact that they want customer feedback (or do they?) and they don't make it clear which channels are the best way to express that feedback.* I sometimes wonder if they really care.* But I can tell you this:* airlines that don't care are on their way out.* And that's a shame, because every airline has some fine people who don't deserve the grief of seeing their airline go out of business.

Moderator comment: Moved post from wrong forum. Originally posted by markterry

TravelGal30
07-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by jfrenaye@Jul 15 2005, 08:11 PM
Moderator comment:* Moved post from wrong forum. Originally posted by markterry

Why are we always looking for the worst in airline employees? How about a topic of positive experiences with airline employees? I know that there are some bad apples, some that should have taken the early outs their carriers offered, but how about the rest of the dedicated professionals that are working for less money, fewer benefits all with the hope that we might have a pension someday? How about hearing of some outstanding service?

jfrenaye
07-15-2005, 10:39 PM
I thought his post was aimed more at the airlines in general rather than the employees! There are a great bunch of employees that work the carriers--there are some bad apples as well, but these warriors have been through hell and back.

If you get a shot, check out James Wysong's columns on the main site. He is a FA with a carrier that shall remain nameless and has a great insight and wit. And aside from the fact that we "work" together, I think he is a great guy, so if you see him on your next flight make sure you say hello and thank you! (Personal note, for a hilarious column, http://www.tripso.com/archives/2004/11/captain_jack.html, you have been warned--grab your Depends

dee4j
07-16-2005, 10:59 AM
the post may be regarding the airlines, but the airlines success/failure is based on the people who work for and represent them. if it weren't for the action of the employees, the airlines wouldn't have anyone to run tickets, board flights, handle the behind the scenes stuff...you get the idea.

its like the saying "guns dont kill people, people kill people". if it weren't for the people, how'd someone get shot?

Cornhusker
07-17-2005, 01:55 PM
I recently was on NW from Omaha thru MSP to Columbus, Ohio. On NONE of our flights did they even mention the $1 snack they were supposed to be selling instead of the pretzels they used to give away before June 9th. When I asked an FA about it, she told me "we are as upset as you are about it, so we don't even mention them so the management will see we aren't seling any, and maybe they will go back to the free pretzels when they see we have a pile of these new snacks that nobody wants". Actually I applaud her and the other FA's! Good idea!
Joe in LNK

missalf
07-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Kudos to that FA/Crew! I only hope management doesn't put them on some type of "must sell" quota per plane.

If everyone refuses to purchase these ridiculously overprised items maybe airlines will get the message. Plan ahead and stash some munchies about your person or in your carryon before boarding..heck, if I'm on a five or six hour nonstop no meal flight I pack my lunch!

NewEnglander
07-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I had a strange experience with Delta last week. My wife and I are planning a trip to Moscow this fall, so we went to a travel agent to help us find the best deal. She found a routing on Delta that sounded pretty good, and was the lowest fare: Boston-Atlanta-Moscow.

Even though Atlanta isn't on the way from Boston to Moscow, the departure times on both ends were convenient, the stops in Atlanta were neither too long nor too short and -- no small factor -- we wouldn't be groggily switching planes somewhere in Western Europe after an overnight flight on the way over. Plus, did I mention it was the lowest fare?

There was one problem, though: The agent tried to make reservations -- availability wasn't an issue -- but she told us that she found out that Delta wouldn't sell us the tickets. Why? Because Atlanta isn't on the way from Boston to Moscow. Delta's only other service to Moscow (and they're the only U.S. carrier that flies there, at least right now) is from JFK, which isn't on a line between Logan and Sheremetyevo either, but the fare was much higher. They'd probably have sold us tickets on that route, but we didn't try. We paid a little more than the Atlanta option and booked tickets BOS-CDG-SVO on Air France.

No wonder Delta's having trouble. How can we buy tickets if they refuse to sell them to us?

DCTravelAgent
07-18-2005, 07:49 AM
I fly Spirit the weekend before last (one way in Coach and one way in Business) and I have to say that I was very favorably impressed by the service.

gerr64
07-18-2005, 08:07 AM
That does not sound right.
The weekday UKXNR5 fare basis is $740 RT from ATL-MOW, and $660 RT from BOS-MOW. $60 more on weekends. Plus taxes, etc.
This fare has been in effect since June 25. While ATL may not be on the routing for this fare, no city is actually on the routing because this fare is an MPM (maximum permitted mileage) fare. You can go up to 25% over the maximum permitted mileage and still use it. The maximum permitted mileage from BOS to SVO is 5391. The actual mileage BOS-ATL-SVO is 6338 or roughly 20% over the 'permitted' mileage, but under what you are allowed to go over (if that makes sense).
I'm on the Worldspan CRS, very similar to what Delta uses. For weekday travel in September it prices a roundtrip Boston to Moscow via Atlanta at $970.55 including tax, exactly 20% more than the lowest published fare from Boston to Moscow without going over the MPM. This is only about $65 more roundtrip than flying from Atlanta to Moscow roundtrip on the same type of fare.
There are some cases where going thru Atlanta will not yield the 'through' fare on a transatlantic itinerary (although you could still price it with two separate roundtrips), but this is not one of them.

silver cloud
07-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Flights come and go. Some good, some bad. The problems with modern air travel is that it seems the bad outweigh the good.

My last flight with Northwest was good until our last leg of the flight up to our little local airport. The flight was cancelled due to mechanical failure. I really don't want to fly on a plane that HAS any mechanical problems and that wasn't my complaint. What was my complaint is that their customer service at Detroit Metro was sub-par. They kept us waiting for over an hour before they even told us any information. This was at 11pm and we were tired and hungry. They finally gave us a food voucher, but all the food venues were already closed.
They stated that the "lucky" ones who might get a flight out the next a.m. but the others would be driven up north (4 1/2 hours) in a van if they could arrange one.

We were put up in a very nice Best Western and brought back the next morning. As one of the "lucky" ones, I did have a 9:30 a.m. flight. This is in the old part of the northwest terminal-not enough seats, etc. Most of us were sitting on the ground. After the first delay someone asked the FA what was up. She let him know, rather rudely, that the incoming flight was their top priority. He asked, "Oh, so we're NOT a priority? Most of us have been here since last night!"
Needless to say, we were cancelled twice more before a flight was arranged to bring us up north. To add fuel to the fire, all the wheels on my new large suitcase were ripped off.

I wrote NW's CEO and did receive a $150 voucher and a promise to deal with the horrible customer service. Well I'm flying out Sept. 1st to Chicago with a layover in Detroit...we'll see how it goes!!

Mary

Jeanie821
07-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by jfrenaye@Jul 15 2005, 10:39 PM
I thought his post was aimed more at the airlines in general rather than the employees!* There are a great bunch of employees that work the carriers--there are some bad apples as well, but these warriors have been through hell and back.

If you get a shot, check out James Wysong's columns on the main site.* He is a FA with a carrier that shall remain nameless and has a great insight and wit.* And aside from the fact that we "work" together, I think he is a great guy, so if you see him on your next flight make sure you say hello and thank you!* (Personal note, for a hilarious column, http://www.tripso.com/archives/2004/11/captain_jack.html, you have been warned--grab your Depends

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks - I almost spit my lunch across the office!!!!!!!!!

deeTA
07-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by NewEnglander@Jul 17 2005, 09:55 PM
I had a strange experience with Delta last week. My wife and I are planning a trip to Moscow this fall, so we went to a travel agent to help us find the best deal. She found a routing on Delta that sounded pretty good, and was the lowest fare: Boston-Atlanta-Moscow.

Even though Atlanta isn't on the way from Boston to Moscow, the departure times on both ends were convenient, the stops in Atlanta were neither too long nor too short and -- no small factor -- we wouldn't be groggily switching planes somewhere in Western Europe after an overnight flight on the way over. Plus, did I mention it was the lowest fare?

There was one problem, though: The agent tried to make reservations -- availability wasn't an issue -- but she told us that she found out that Delta wouldn't sell us the tickets. Why? Because Atlanta isn't on the way from Boston to Moscow.* (and they're the only U.S. carrier that flies them to us?

ACTUALLY, your agent probably didn't notice if the routing was on a codeshare flight. If it was, s/he may have been able to issue your tickets by validating them on the correct carrier. This is something I call my helpdesk on. Since the fare is showing up in our system, there has to be a way to issue the ticket if it is being autopriced. we can't just pull fares up and issue tickets against them, as far as I am aware.

gerr64
07-18-2005, 01:42 PM
ATL-SVO is operated by Delta.
If it were a code-share you would still want to validate on the air carrier preceeding the flight number.

Tee Totlers R Us
07-18-2005, 02:26 PM
As a resident in the south, unfortunately too many times the only way to get somewhere is Delta thru Atlanta.

Good news: DL is a new partner with another airline that I am a frequent flyer on, so my DL flight miles go to my other airline's account.

Bad news: Looking up award trips, lots of times it tries to route me on their new partner Delta. Actually some convenient flights.

The problem: I now refuse to fly Delta international for business and especially for pleasure.

Delta is the first and as far as I can read still the only major that charges $5 for drinks on international flights.

If I am stuck on Delta with "Delta Level of Service(sic)" for 9 hours to Europe, I am not paying $5 out of my pocket for a lousy drink. I will fly an airline where it still comes even with the cheap uncomfortable seats.

If I am flying ATL-SVO, I would want a good stiff one no matter which way I am going. :)

Is this really Deltas new motto?: "In honor of our fallen comrades, we are doing our best to lower our Level of Service to that which you used to get from Eastern--right before Eastern went out of business."

BPoland
07-19-2005, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Tee Totlers R Us@Jul 18 2005, 02:26 PM
Delta is the first and as far as I can read still the only major that charges $5 for drinks on international flights.

If I am stuck on Delta with "Delta Level of Service(sic)" for 9 hours to Europe, I am not paying $5 out of my pocket for a lousy drink.* I will fly an airline where it still comes even with the cheap uncomfortable seats.

Just an FYI TTRU.
Unfortunately, Delta is not the only carrier charging for drinks on int'l flights. I was on AA Boston to Heathrow about 1 1/2 yrs ago, and they had begun charging then, too. I would be surprised if there was ANY US carrier that wasn't on the "pay as you drink" plan at this point B)

hc1946
07-19-2005, 07:14 AM
I'd like to add my 2 cents here. I've flown NWA almost exclusively since 1998 and, until the last 2 years have had more good experiences than bad. Based on the customer service (or lack thereof) over the last 2 years, I'd change my preferred airline in a minute if other airlines had comparable service on the routes. Since I fly twice every week, I make the platinum level very quickly. I keep getting these notices showing all the benefits I get from being platinum (pre-boarding, automatic upgrades, etc). NWA has gone to the CRJ piece of crap on longer and longer flights which means, no upgrade, sitting for 2+ hours on a seat that does not have ANY padding, sitting next to a normal sized person in a seat made for children and having to sit sideways because the two of you can't get your shoulders into the space of one seat. Everywhere but in Detroit, I at least get my pre-boarding benefit. In Detroit, we are boarded like the Southwest cattle cars with no preference to status. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times, during the last 2 years, that I have met a gate agent who was nice, friendly and customer-oriented (I travel through DTW twice weekly). As a rule, the gate agents at DTW are surly, rude, and totally obnoxious. While other airlines (Continental, in particular) can give special treatment to elite passengers for the same aircraft, from the same gates that NWA uses, NWA says they can't do it for the "small" aircraft. (As if I have a choice on what they're sticking me on)!

Last week, I went to the gate early in order to be in line to board early, claim my space in the overhead bin, and grab a blanket to try to pad the unpadded seat. While waiting on the flight, some others came up and stood at the gate on the other side of the gate. When the GA started boarding, I stood up at the podium and was told that I had to step aside so she could board the people standing first because they'd been "waiting a long time" to board. I told her I had been at the gate when they walked up and I deserved to board first. She got very huffy and started to insist that I step aside when one of the passengers standing told her that I had been there first and I should board first. She looked like she'd been eating sour grapes as she tore the boarding pass out of my hand and sarcastically said, "Get on your plane before I change my mind." Actions like this have become the rule in Detroit rather than the exception. I have not had any similar experiences at any of the other NWA airports.

On the plus side, as soon as I was seated on the plane, the FA turned around, called me by name and said "welcome back." He was very concerned that he treat his elite passengers. I heard him walk down the aisle and call each of the elite passengers by name. When drinks were served, he served the elite passengers first, then served the others. Later, he came by and asked if I wanted coffee. I accepted, finished the coffee and went to the lavatory. When I returned, there was a fresh cup of coffee on my tray table. This is the kind of service that attracted me to NWA to begin with.

If I had my choice I would 1) never, ever, ever travel NWA through DTW again, 2) choose another airline as my preferred airline even if it meant starting on my elite status all over again.

silver cloud
07-19-2005, 07:46 AM
hc: Although I do not travel as often as you, I'm sorry to hear you've experienced some of the horrors that I have. It will be interesting to see what it's like in Sept. when I fly to Chicago. I purposely didn't book the last flight out of Detroit to Pellston because after my experience with the cancelled flight, I've found out that it happens pretty often.

I know what some of y'all are thinking...why do you fly NW? NW and Mesaba are the only carriers out of Pellston, which is only 1/2 hr. away. I could fly out of Traverse City, but that's a 2 hour drive with all the summer traffic. Ugh.
:blink: Mary

Originally posted by hc1946@Jul 19 2005, 07:14 AM
I'd like to add my 2 cents here.* I've flown NWA almost exclusively since 1998 and, until the last 2 years have had more good experiences than bad.* Based on the customer service (or lack thereof) over the last 2 years, I'd change my preferred airline in a minute if other airlines had comparable service on the routes.* Since I fly twice every week, I make the platinum level very quickly.* I keep getting these notices showing all the benefits I get from being platinum (pre-boarding, automatic upgrades, etc).* NWA has gone to the CRJ piece of crap on longer and longer flights which means, no upgrade, sitting for 2+ hours on a seat that does not have ANY padding, sitting next to a normal sized person in a seat made for children and having to sit sideways because the two of you can't get your shoulders into the space of one seat.* Everywhere but in Detroit, I at least get my pre-boarding benefit.* In Detroit, we are boarded like the Southwest cattle cars with no preference to status.* I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times, during the last 2 years, that I have met a gate agent who was nice, friendly and customer-oriented (I travel through DTW twice weekly).* As a rule, the gate agents at DTW are surly, rude, and totally obnoxious.* While other airlines (Continental, in particular) can give special treatment to elite passengers for the same aircraft, from the same gates that NWA uses, NWA says they can't do it for the "small" aircraft. (As if I have a choice on what they're sticking me on)!

Last week, I went to the gate early in order to be in line to board early, claim my space in the overhead bin, and grab a blanket to try to pad the unpadded seat.* While waiting on the flight, some others came up and stood at the gate on the other side of the gate.* When the GA started boarding, I stood up at the podium and was told that I had to step aside so she could board the people standing first because they'd been "waiting a long time" to board.* I told her I had been at the gate when they walked up and I deserved to board first.* She got very huffy and started to insist that I step aside when one of the passengers standing told her that I had been there first and I should board first.* She looked like she'd been eating sour grapes as she tore the boarding pass out of my hand and sarcastically said, "Get on your plane before I change my mind."* Actions like this have become the rule in Detroit rather than the exception.* I have not had any similar experiences at any of the other NWA airports.

On the plus side, as soon as I was seated on the plane, the FA turned around, called me by name and said "welcome back."* He was very concerned that he treat his elite passengers.* I heard him walk down the aisle and call each of the elite passengers by name.* When drinks were served, he served the elite passengers first, then served the others.* Later, he came by and asked if I wanted coffee.* I accepted, finished the coffee and went to the lavatory.* When I returned, there was a fresh cup of coffee on my tray table.* This is the kind of service that attracted me to NWA to begin with.

If I had my choice I would 1) never, ever, ever travel NWA through DTW again, 2) choose another airline as my preferred airline even if it meant starting on my elite status all over again.

purpleeagl
07-19-2005, 11:29 AM
One thing I have found in the last couple of years is the deterioration of the east coast shuttle service. DL seems to be the worst, especially out of LGA. The staff GAs and FAs seem overly surly. US has been doing better of late but is still not on the top of their game.

I have been impressed with the customer service from AA who is now plying the routes. I have been lees than impressed that they are flying RJ's, although I am almost always able to get the exit row with a single seat. Even when AA has had to put me on one of the other's flights they have been reasonably accomodating, even for weather issues.

Alice
07-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Not all airline customer service experiences are horror stories.

The day before Thanksgiving 2004 my 80-year-old mother-in-law was flying Southwest Airlines from Chicago, via Phoenix, to Ontario, California to visit us for the holiday. Her flight out of Chicago was delayed and when she got to Phoenix she had missed the last flight to Ontario. The poor old woman was confused and exhausted after spending the entire day in the Chicago airport. Now she was stuck in Phoenix for the night.

The Southwest Airlines personnel realized what a fragile condition she was in. They called us to explain the situation. They booked her on the first flight on Thanksgiving morning and called us back again to let us know when to expect her. Then, the Southwest Airlines employee stayed there after her shift ended so that she could get my mother-in-law to a hotel and arrange for transportation back to the airport the following morning.

On one of their busiest nights of the year, the Southwest Airlines employees at the Phoenix airport went out of their way for one 80-year-old lady. We are forever grateful.

Alice
Silver Lakes, CA

susanliber
07-19-2005, 04:07 PM
I have another good Southwest story. Last December we went to Las Vegas with another couple for 5 days. We were in the airport, waiting for our flight home when my husband got an uncontrollable nosebleed. We waited as long as we could but we knew by boarding time that we were not going to make it. I asked the gate attendant to call an ambulance. The paramedics were there within 10 minutes, but before they got there, a customer service rep from Southwest was there to reassure us that we have no trouble getting home the next day. She sat with us until the ambulance came and took us to Desert Springs Hospital.

They were wonderful at the hospital and stopped the bleeding and reassured us that it wasn't serious - only very dry mucous membranes. I called the customer service rep at Southwest and could not get the woman I had all ready spoken to but the young man I did speak to was very helpful. He said he put us on the same flight but the next day. I asked if there was a hotel that the airline used. He sent us to Terribles.....but instead of getting us the airline rate, he gave me the number to call because they were running a special of $20 a night. They had a free shuttle bus to the airport.

The next day we went to the airport early as I was anticipating a problem with the reservations....no....there we were - all safe and snug in the computer.

So I have no complaints about Southwest!!

Jaybee
07-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Oh, John! Thanks for the link. That has to be the most hilarious column I've read in a lonnnnng time! James is such a good writer, and so witty. We're both still snickering. Isn't it awful how comical someone else's embarassment can be? Jean :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jfrenaye@Jul 15 2005, 10:39 PM
If you get a shot, check out James Wysong's columns on the main site.* He is a FA with a carrier that shall remain nameless and has a great insight and wit.* And aside from the fact that we "work" together, I think he is a great guy, so if you see him on your next flight make sure you say hello and thank you!* (Personal note, for a hilarious column, http://www.tripso.com/archives/2004/11/captain_jack.html, you have been warned--grab your Depends

stephen_s
07-20-2005, 02:03 PM
I definitely recommend James' two books. You can buy them at his website, http://www.franksteward.com.