PDA

View Full Version : First time in the air

Knota
04-12-2005, 01:14 PM
This year my family is traveling to Las Vegas for a RC competition. Now I have flown a few times and love it, but my husband and 14 year daughter have never flown. I know my husband get motion sickness if he reads in a moving vehicle and my daughter SEEMS ok about flying... so my question is how do I prepare them for flying so that our trip will not become a total disaster? Sorry for being so wordy! :D

jfrenaye
04-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Fear of flying....actually, James Wysong just posted this timely column this morning...hope it helps!

http://www.tripso.com/archives/2005/04/10_...ps_for_the.html (http://www.tripso.com/archives/2005/04/10_tips_for_the.html)

slotracer
04-23-2005, 11:15 AM
When I was a kid, I used to love plane trips to my grandparents house. I was never scared to fly. As a kid, I guess I wouldn't be. They were like long rollercoaster rides to me.

All that changed as I grew into adulthood.

Last year, I moved from Los Angeles to Raleigh, North Carolina on a job transfer. I hadn't been on a plane in twenty five years. I was seated in the back of the plane when we hit some severe turbulence. It seemed like we were being thrown all over the sky. I clutched the arm rests tightly, my breathing started becoming more rapid and I had this dreadful sense of helplessness.

Then something very strange happened.

These two young kids sitting across from me started laughing and actually enjoying it! And then it hit me. They were like I was when I was a kid. This was just another long rollercoaster ride. Needless to say, I started laughing along with them and there you go-Goodbye Phobia!

Joe
05-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Knota
This year my family is traveling to Las Vegas for a RC competition. Now I have flown a few times and love it, but my husband and 14 year daughter have never flown. I know my husband get motion sickness if he reads in a moving vehicle and my daughter SEEMS ok about flying... so my question is how do I prepare them for flying so that our trip will not become a total disaster?* Sorry for being so wordy!** :D

I have a flying phobia and have never flown so I know how difficult this can be. You cannot assume that your husband or daughter have this problem, but if either of them do you likely are not going to Las Vegas with them as they may not make it into the jetway. My advice, take them to the airport well in advance of the flight. Have lunch there. With your husband, you can tell security that your daughter has never flown and is a bit apprehensive. They may let you near the jetway and the planes. You will go through security, and the experience will be similar to actually taking a flight. If you daughter is enthusiastic and wants to jump on a plane, you have no problem with her. If you hubby is nervous, you may have a problem with him. One thing, do either of them have a problem with tall buildings--especially elevators. Same issues as flying--height, closed in, loss of control. If they do, you may want to see about counseling for them. Caveat--I spent over $10K on counseling to no avail, I still could not fly and lost my profession as a result. As an aside, recreationally I was a competition ski racer and would run gates and race at speeds over 50 mph, so it is not a safety issue with them if they cannot fly.

Joe
06-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi! Another update on my fear of flying and a question. I was wondering if anyone here has heard of "virtual reality" being used to help people get over a fear of flying. They have a clinic in NYC, and the prices are somewhat reasonable. A psychiarist who used me in a study (heights phobias) recommended it and said it has a 95% cure rate. It does not seem that sitting in a room with a helmet essentially watching a movie would help, but I am open to anything. Anyone here ever try or have experience with virtual reality?